Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3390793 times)

bluehillside Retd.

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #12600 on: April 23, 2016, 12:26:17 PM »
Alan,

It is the movement of electrons through the neural network of our brains which defines brain activity.  But does this really constitute "Me"?

Actually it isn't but - even if it was - what defines "you" is the much more complex and nuanced phenomenon of your conscious self, expressed as your personality. However incredulous you may be at the reasoning and science that undoes you, your incredulity has nothing whatever to say to whatever un-argued and un-evidenced explanation you feel like dropping in to fill the gap. Sorry.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Gonnagle

« Reply #12601 on: April 23, 2016, 12:39:01 PM »
Dear Blue,

Conscious self, sub conscious self, unconscious self, what constitutes Alan is his mind.

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #12602 on: April 23, 2016, 12:44:16 PM »
Hi Gonners,

Conscious self, sub conscious self, unconscious self, what constitutes Alan is his mind.

1. Sarcastic reply: be nice then if he tried using it then.

2. Non-sarcastic reply: quite so, and all the evidence suggests that "mind" is an emergent property of the brain.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 12:49:17 PM by bluehillside »

God

Maeght

« Reply #12603 on: April 23, 2016, 12:47:53 PM »
Alan,

The first one (but not just electrons).

+1

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #12604 on: April 23, 2016, 01:23:40 PM »
It's called logic, Vlad - perhaps you should look it up...?
Since yours is extra-rectal, I shan't be looking up anything, thank you.
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #12605 on: April 23, 2016, 01:27:00 PM »
Hi Gonners,

1. Sarcastic reply: be nice then if he tried using it then.

2. Non-sarcastic reply: quite so, and all the evidence suggests that "mind" is an emergent property of the brain.
Yes, but the problem for a reductionist, substratist, materialist is the actual term ''emergence''
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #12606 on: April 23, 2016, 01:44:01 PM »
Die Blau Meister, who is consistently a model of cogency and clarity (thank goodness his ongoing connection problems haven't driven him off the forum altogether - we can't afford to lose one of the best posters we have).
If he is Die Blau Meister that must make you Die Braun Noser.

Since Die Meister just posts variations on 3 or 4 basic posts WE would have a problem if his cosmic conclusion was not clear.......and that conclusion is.................Vlad is a troll.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #12607 on: April 23, 2016, 01:47:59 PM »
Vlad is a troll.

Ah, one of the fundamental laws of the  of the universe.
Glad to see that you are keeping up to date in the sciencey world. ;)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #12608 on: April 23, 2016, 01:50:11 PM »
Ah, one of the fundamental laws of the  of the universe.
Glad to see that you are keeping up to date in the sciencey world. ;)
Hmmm......not up to your usual standard of comedy Seb.........are you feeling a little funny?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #12609 on: April 23, 2016, 02:11:10 PM »
Vlad is a troll.

Blimey, after all those thousands of efforts Trollboy has finally got something right.

Have the clocks struck 13?

God

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #12610 on: April 23, 2016, 02:13:34 PM »
Blimey, after all those thousands of efforts Trollboy has finally got something right.

See what I mean? His posts are just variations on his Vlad Obsession.

Shaker

« Reply #12611 on: April 23, 2016, 02:13:50 PM »

Well, it's a bright, cold day in April ...*

* Virtual tube of Smarties for the first person to get the reference there ;)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12612 on: April 23, 2016, 02:22:22 PM »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IJdGMNY_MDQ

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #12613 on: April 23, 2016, 02:25:35 PM »
Shakes,

Ooh ooh, pick me pick me!

I see that Trollboy is bleating on about repetition. Weirdly he's right to a degree, though not for the reason he thinks. As he endlessly runs away from providing a method to distinguish his claims from just guessing about stuff there's not much moving on from that. Either we just pretend it hasn't happened, accept whatever has popped into his head as an objective truth for the rest of us and talk about whatever that might be (god help us), or we leave the ball firmly in his court until he finally feels like trying at least to hit it back. As he also refuses even to tell us why he won't answer that though, there's not much prospect of it ever happening.

I'm engaged in a bit of a B F Skinner-style experiment with him just now - I'll "reward" him with a reply whenever he feels like responding to me without lying about what I've said. So far though, he's shown no sign of biting.

Oh well.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 02:30:34 PM by bluehillside »

God

floo

« Reply #12614 on: April 23, 2016, 02:38:50 PM »
It is the movement of electrons through the neural network of our brains which defines brain activity.  But does this really constitute "Me"?

Yes.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #12615 on: April 23, 2016, 04:20:59 PM »
....  and all the evidence suggests that "mind" is an emergent property of the brain.
But nothing actually emerges.

Emergent properties are merely perceived patterns of complexity - as seen by an outside observer.  But material science dictates that there are just endless series of chain reactions with nothing in control but the laws of nature.

So what can possible dictate my state of personal incredulity other than these inevitable chain reactions which trace back to the beginning of time?
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #12616 on: April 23, 2016, 04:26:08 PM »
John Shelby Spong I think still adheres to an objectively real God (or at least did the last I heard - he may have changed his mind) but is a non-realist about pretty much everything else.

That's the impression I get, Shakes. However, his enthusiasm for the 'realist' God sounds a bit like cheer-leading, as do his implications about a 'metaphorical' resurrection of Jesus. All the attempts of these critical thinkers are no doubt worthy and sincerely offered, but so much of their thinking seems like 'demolition jobs' that one wonders what viable form of Christianity could survive them.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #12617 on: April 23, 2016, 04:27:26 PM »
Alan,

But nothing actually emerges.

Yes it does - it's called "mind" or "consciousness". Why not try reading about it before posting the same mistake again?

Emergent properties are merely perceived patterns of complexity - as seen by an outside observer.  But material science dictates that there are just endless series of chain reactions with nothing in control but the laws of nature.

That's just a(nother) non sequitur: emergent properties are the complexity, and the fact that they are the outcomes of entirely natural events doesn't change that.

It's simple enough at least conceptually - why then are you finding it so difficult to grasp?

So what can possible dictate my state of personal incredulity other than these inevitable chain reactions which trace back to the beginning of time?

Nothing, because nothing needs to "dictate" that. Could you at least try to read a book on the subject before crashing off the rails yet again?

God

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #12618 on: April 23, 2016, 04:35:43 PM »
Shakes,

Ooh ooh, pick me pick me!

I see that Trollboy is bleating on about repetition. Weirdly he's right to a degree,

I'm engaged in a bit of a B F Skinner-style experiment with him just now - I'll "reward" him with a reply whenever he feels like responding to me without lying about what I've said. So far though, he's shown no sign of biting.

Skinner? Your behaviour never gets above Pavlovian.......lets try.

Stimulus is the word VLAD.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #12619 on: April 23, 2016, 04:54:50 PM »

You continue to mistake logic for physics. You don't understand how your will and consciousness can come about from deterministic processes (possibly with some randomness) - but that isn't a problem with the physical world, it's logical problem. One that applies just as much to your "spiritual" thingamajig as it does to the physical universe.

You can't escape logic by postulating something that is not bound by the laws of physics.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Alan Burns

« Reply #12620 on: April 23, 2016, 05:14:01 PM »
You continue to mistake logic for physics. You don't understand how your will and consciousness can come about from deterministic processes (possibly with some randomness) - but that isn't a problem with the physical world, it's logical problem. One that applies just as much to your "spiritual" thingamajig as it does to the physical universe.

You can't escape logic by postulating something that is not bound by the laws of physics.
Yes I can
Because (according to you) the laws of physics makes me do so.   ;)
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

torridon

« Reply #12621 on: April 23, 2016, 06:32:31 PM »
Yes I can
Because (according to you) the laws of physics makes me do so.   ;)

ooh you little tinker  :D

Alan Burns

« Reply #12622 on: April 23, 2016, 07:57:39 PM »

It's simple enough at least conceptually - why then are you finding it so difficult to grasp?

Because it is too simple to explain the complexity of human nature, particularly mine.
 ???

Shaker

« Reply #12623 on: April 23, 2016, 08:35:09 PM »
Because it is too simple to explain the complexity of human nature, particularly mine.
 ???
Humble as ever, Alan ...
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

newnature

« Reply #12624 on: April 23, 2016, 08:45:00 PM »

What about strongholds?
2 Timothy 2:15, approved where? At the Judgement Seat of the Savior. A workman worthy of God’s praise rightly dividing the word of truth.