Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3338894 times)

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #16050 on: March 12, 2017, 01:24:29 PM »
The Alan Burns looks to be just acting out the deterministic events programmed in its brain from instinct and learnt experience, but It shows no evidence of having the capacity to override these deterministic actions.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #16051 on: March 12, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »
AB,

The orang utan looks to be just acting out the deterministic events programmed in its brain from instinct and learnt experience, but It shows no evidence of having the capacity to override these deterministic actions by using the gift of conscious free will.

Squeaky beat me to it. Moreover, on what possible basis do you presume to know what is or isn't going on in the mind of the orang utan?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:37:23 PM by bluehillside »
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #16052 on: March 12, 2017, 01:37:33 PM »
AB,

Squeaky beat me to it. On what possible basis do you presume to know what is or isn't going on in the mind of the orang utan?
I could ask the same question of you, since you used it to illustrate its similarity to human consciousness.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #16053 on: March 12, 2017, 01:48:39 PM »
AB,

I could ask the same question of you, since you used it to illustrate its similarity to human consciousness.

Your claim is that (non-human) animals are "dumb", reactive creatures whereas humans are not. Human consciousness includes characteristics such as abstract conceptualisation, forward planning and deferred reward, and testing and modification. The orang utan in the video displays all of these things, and shows every sign of being conscious in any meaningful sense of the word. Your only way out of that would be to re-define consciousness to exclude the orang utan in such an idiosyncratic way that even you would blush at the attempt.

I notice incidentally that as ever you just ignore the Replies that undo you - in this case 16046 and 16048. Why is that?

God

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #16054 on: March 12, 2017, 02:05:59 PM »
Your only way out of that would be to re-define consciousness to exclude the orang utan in such an idiosyncratic way that even you would blush at the attempt.

Errr, this is the guy who has already proposed a self-contradictory description of how a consciousness works. You really think he'd blush at adding some arbitrary speciesism?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #16055 on: March 12, 2017, 02:13:53 PM »
Some,

Errr, this is the guy who has already proposed a self-contradictory description of how a consciousness works. You really think he'd blush at adding some arbitrary speciesism?

Yeah, I guess - he's been caught out so often now and just carried on as if nothing had happened that he must be officially un-embarrassable.

Oh well.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 02:24:45 PM by bluehillside »

God

floo

« Reply #16056 on: March 12, 2017, 02:41:08 PM »
Floo,

Fyi, here's an example of what AB calls a "dumb" animal in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snl4U8HPdtQ

The conceptualising of the result, the forward planning, the skilled execution etc are quite remarkable - only according to AB this orang utan isn't conscious, s/he is just "perceiving".

WOW, if there was any need to prove that animals have intelligence that film says it all.  Humans are only a species of ape, which over millions of years have developed into the beings we are now. I bet it took a long while before we even got to the level of that orang-utan.

SusanDoris

« Reply #16057 on: March 12, 2017, 02:45:14 PM »
Could someone please give a brief description of what happens in the film? I tried to see it, but not possible.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

ekim

« Reply #16058 on: March 12, 2017, 02:53:09 PM »
It tied the ends of a blanket to the sides of the cage it was in and made itself a hammock to lie in.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

floo

« Reply #16060 on: March 12, 2017, 03:02:40 PM »
More just 'reaction'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/viral-video/11306466/Watch-Monkey-saves-dying-friend-at-train-station-in-India.html

Incredible, that takes a good level of intelligence, some humans wouldn't show the knowhow the monkey portrayed.

ekim

« Reply #16061 on: March 12, 2017, 03:04:04 PM »
That was impressive.  It just goes to show that the monkey has a soul.

Enki

« Reply #16062 on: March 12, 2017, 03:08:44 PM »
To recognise the amazing gift our creator has given us - to enable our own species to be creative, and to enable us to choose our own destiny does in no way undervalue our species.

To not recognise this gift and categorise our species as just a highly developed animal is certainly undervaluing our species.

1) That presupposes the existence of your creator.

2) That presupposes that we have been given a 'gift'.

3) That presupposes that part of the 'gift' we have been given is creativity and seems to assume that it is a 'gift' which has not been given to any other species.

4) That presupposes that we have been given the 'gift' of being able to choose our own destiny, which therefore assumes some sort of 'free will' by means of our 'conscious control' despite you being unwilling or unable to produce any logical argument to support a third way which distinguishes between determined and non determined. And, furthermore, you are happy  to accept that the choices offered are deterministically produced by your 'soul', which seems to suggest that this 'soul' of yours does not use its 'conscious awareness' at all. 

That's an awful lot of confusing presuppositions and assumptions there, Alan. :)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

SusanDoris

« Reply #16063 on: March 12, 2017, 03:42:11 PM »
It tied the ends of a blanket to the sides of the cage it was in and made itself a hammock to lie in.
Thank you! When you say 'tied', could you see that it made a knot? If so, then that really is amazing. I wonder if it could have watched a person doing that and copied.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

torridon

« Reply #16064 on: March 12, 2017, 03:49:06 PM »
Thank you! When you say 'tied', could you see that it made a knot? If so, then that really is amazing. I wonder if it could have watched a person doing that and copied.

He spent four minutes setting his hammock up and getting it right, trying it out, taking it down and adjusting it to suit.  It clearly demonstrates ingenuity, planning, imagination, trial and error and testing.  One only wishes that Alan could learn some of these skills   :o

Alan Burns

« Reply #16065 on: March 12, 2017, 03:54:30 PM »
AB,

Your claim is that (non-human) animals are "dumb", reactive creatures whereas humans are not. Human consciousness includes characteristics such as abstract conceptualisation, forward planning and deferred reward, and testing and modification. The orang utan in the video displays all of these things, and shows every sign of being conscious in any meaningful sense of the word. Your only way out of that would be to re-define consciousness to exclude the orang utan in such an idiosyncratic way that even you would blush at the attempt.

Awareness of our Creator (or conscious denial of our Creator) would be a definitive feature of our conscious awareness.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Rhiannon

« Reply #16066 on: March 12, 2017, 04:00:02 PM »
Awareness of our Creator (or conscious denial of our Creator) would be a definitive feature of our conscious awareness.

And if your god exists you know that animals aren't aware of it how, exactly? And please don't say because they don't go to church.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #16067 on: March 12, 2017, 04:06:22 PM »

Right, so people who have never heard of your particular notion of god, or those of us who just think it's as silly as all the others, are not conscious...
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16068 on: March 12, 2017, 04:07:37 PM »
ah the old you lot are all lying, and a shifting the burden of proof, and a begging the question. That's spectacular wrongness, I really think you have set a new benchmark in illogical posts.

Alan Burns

« Reply #16069 on: March 12, 2017, 04:11:12 PM »
Alan,

Why when I lost my faith did God leave me feeling betrayed and why did he ignore my prayers to make me feel his presence so I would believe again?
Rhi,
I just wanted to share some of today's sermon which our priest gave on the subject of the Transfiguration.

Looking at the stained glass windows in the church, we notice the wonderful colour and detail brought out by the bright sunlight.  But from outside these windows look very dull and uninteresting.  And even from inside the church, clouds and darkness can sometimes obscure our view of the beauty of the stained glass.  But the windows are still there, and if we wait, the sun will shine once more to reveal their beauty.  But if we leave the church we will never be able to see the wonderful view of the stained glass unless we return.

When Peter saw Jesus in all His glory on the top of the mountain, he wanted to pitch up a tent and stay there, but Jesus told him that he must leave the mountain and return to the plains of ordinary life.

We get glimpses of what heaven might be like, but we have to remind ourselves that we are not there yet.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 04:18:29 PM by Alan Burns »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16070 on: March 12, 2017, 04:15:16 PM »
Rhi,
I just wanted to share some of today's sermon which our priest gave on the subject of the Transfiguration.

Looking at the stained glass windows in the church, we notice the wonderful colour and detail brought out by the bright sunlight.  But from outside these windows look very dull and uninteresting.  And even from inside the church, clouds and darkness can sometimes obscure our view of the beauty of the stained glass.  But the windows are still there, and if we wait, the sun will shine once more to reveal their beauty.  But if we leave the church building we will never be able to see the wonderful view of the stained glass unless we return.

When Peter saw Jesus in all His glory on the top of the mountain, he wanted to pitch up a tent and stay there, but Jesus told him that he needs to leave the mountain and return to the plains of ordinary life.

We get glimpses of what heaven might be like, but we have to remind ourselves that we are not there yet.

Why did you write something that is a complete non sequitur to the question asked?

Alan Burns

« Reply #16071 on: March 12, 2017, 04:17:07 PM »

Why did you write something that is a complete non sequitur to the question asked?
I am sure Rhi will understand the significance.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16072 on: March 12, 2017, 04:20:04 PM »
I am sure Rhi will understand the significance.
I am sure she will too, it means that you belittled a question and posted an irrelevant maunder.

Alan Burns

« Reply #16073 on: March 12, 2017, 04:23:41 PM »
Right, so people who have never heard of your particular notion of god, or those of us who just think it's as silly as all the others, are not conscious...
I think there is plenty of evidence on this forum that people are either aware of a Creator or in conscious denial of His existence.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16074 on: March 12, 2017, 04:26:12 PM »
I think there is plenty of evidence on this forum that people are either aware of a Creator or in conscious denial of His existence.
So all the non believers in your god are lying. Way to go.