Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3371811 times)

floo

Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #20875 on: August 04, 2017, 08:31:11 AM »
It is my choice to worship one who suffered and died to save us from sin and death.

An opinion, NOT a fact.

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #20876 on: August 04, 2017, 08:41:01 AM »
An interesting snippet from one of the major proponents of evolutionary biology:

“For example, Darwin introduced historicity into science. Evolutionary biology, in contrast with physics and chemistry, is a historical science—the evolutionist attempts to explain events and processes that have already taken place. Laws and experiments are inappropriate techniques for the explication of such events and processes. Instead one constructs a historical narrative, consisting of a tentative reconstruction of the particular scenario that led to the events one is trying to explain.”—Mayr, Ernst (renowned evolutionary biologist)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:37:50 AM by Alan Burns »
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #20877 on: August 04, 2017, 08:47:54 AM »
we cannot choose to believe things that we don't believe though so the above makes no sense; neither can we choose to want things that we don't want.  All these freedoms are illusory, so this 'divine attribute' must also be illusory.
I think you do not see the difference between a consciously derived "want" and a physical reaction.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #20878 on: August 04, 2017, 08:49:16 AM »
I do not have all the references at hand, but here is one to be going on with:

“For example, Darwin introduced historicity into science. Evolutionary biology, in contrast with physics and chemistry, is a historical science—the evolutionist attempts to explain events and processes that have already taken place. Laws and experiments are inappropriate techniques for the explication of such events and processes. Instead one constructs a historical narrative, consisting of a tentative reconstruction of the particular scenario that led to the events one is trying to explain.”—Mayr, Ernst (renowned evolutionary biologist)

Why are you citing Mayr who was a proponent of evolution? And why highlight a word which explains pretty much any scientific conclusion?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:10:01 AM by Nearly Sane »

Alan Burns

« Reply #20879 on: August 04, 2017, 09:03:26 AM »
Look up the Lederberg Experiment performed in 1952, Alan, which is clear evidence for the undirected nature of mutations.
The Lederberg experiment shows that random mutations can improve the survival of simple bacteria using natural selection.  This process can be used to confirm one of my earlier comments that random mutations and natural selection can perform fine tuning on things which are already complex, but it does not show that random mutations and natural selection are a sufficient means of generating the staggering complexity we see in human beings.

Shaker

« Reply #20880 on: August 04, 2017, 09:15:51 AM »
Why are you citing Mayr who was a proponent of evolution? And why highlight a word which explains pretty much any scientific conclusion?
... not coincidentally Mayr's What Evolution Is - one of his few non-technical works - is a book (there are plenty of others) that AB sorely needs to read, learn and inwardly digest.

The irony of AB quoting Mayr - one of the handful of the greatest architects of modern evolutionary biology - will be lost on him, I'm sure. The highlighted word can only be taken issue with by somebody uncomfortable with provisional and revisable conclusions, who craves cast-iron absolute certainty of the sort AB thinks he has.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 09:23:40 AM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #20881 on: August 04, 2017, 09:53:26 AM »
AB,

I do not have all the references at hand, but here is one to be going on with:

All science is tentative. That's why it requires an open mind.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #20882 on: August 04, 2017, 09:57:08 AM »
AB,

What it doesn't need is romantic sloganizing.
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #20883 on: August 04, 2017, 10:05:09 AM »
Vlad,

What it doesn't need is romantic sloganizing.

And nor does it need dressing in a feather boa and serenaded with a chorus of "I Am What I Am".

Can you think of anyone who does any of these things?

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #20884 on: August 04, 2017, 10:10:45 AM »
AB,

Mayr was pointing out that evolutionary biology can't be verified by experiment in the same way as physics and chemistry, which is why he used the word "tentative".

torridon

« Reply #20885 on: August 04, 2017, 10:12:34 AM »
I think you do not see the difference between a consciously derived "want" and a physical reaction.

Wants don't spring out of thin air, they derive from previous events. What we want in the present moment is a consequence of the moments that have gone before, which is why we cannot choose what to want.  Whether we are conscious or not of the want is ultimately irrelevant. We can neither choose what to want nor what to believe. Freedom is illusory.

torridon

« Reply #20886 on: August 04, 2017, 10:15:02 AM »
Mayr was pointing out that evolutionary biology can't be verified by experiment in the same way as physics and chemistry, which is why he used the word "tentative".

All scientific theory is tentative, and therein lies its strength, not its weakness.  It is spurious claims of certainty that are a barrier to learning.

Shaker

« Reply #20887 on: August 04, 2017, 10:15:29 AM »
Except it can, has been and is. The Lenski experiment, for example.

For somebody who insists that they really do understand evolution, your ignorance of the subject is shocking.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #20888 on: August 04, 2017, 10:15:51 AM »
just to note, Alan, what you were asked for were names of people who were in the group you described as

'There are some biologists and other highly qualified scientist who have the courage to challenge the assumptions used in postulating the capabilities of unguided evolution to generate highly complex organs.  And it is apparent that scientists who do stick their head above the parapet to voice such opinions often get ridiculed by their peers.'

Mayr was one of the greatest proponents of evolution by natural selection of the last century, so in quoting him you are wrong and if you don't retract it as an example would be lying. So kindly admit you were incorrect here.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Ernst-Mayr

Alan Burns

« Reply #20889 on: August 04, 2017, 10:28:03 AM »
Except it can, has been and is. The Lenski experiment, for example.

For somebody who insists that they really do understand evolution, your ignorance of the subject is shocking.
I have already pointed out the substantial difference between the observed effectiveness of evolutionary biology on relatively simple organisms such as bacteria, and the extrapolated assumptions that are used to apply the same logic to the incremental development of highly complex organs.  The latter requiring a considerable degree of personal optimism.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #20890 on: August 04, 2017, 10:28:13 AM »
AB,

No he wasn't, and yes it can be - for example with evolutionary game theory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_game_theory), and with evolutionary medicine (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolutionary_medicine). Tentativeness moreover is a characteristic of all science - your source saying it and you highlighting it does not distinguish evolutionary theory from any other branch of science. It's a null point for your purposes. It also incidentally tells you nothing about an alternative conjecture you have that has no coherent definition, no cogent logic and no evidence of any kind to support it.

Incidentally, back in 20863 I corrected a series of wrong statements you made in 20849. I see that, as ever, you've just ignored the corrections and carried on with more wrong or misleading statements.

Why do you do that?

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #20891 on: August 04, 2017, 10:31:27 AM »
just to note, Alan, what you were asked for were names of people who were in the group you described as

'There are some biologists and other highly qualified scientist who have the courage to challenge the assumptions used in postulating the capabilities of unguided evolution to generate highly complex organs.  And it is apparent that scientists who do stick their head above the parapet to voice such opinions often get ridiculed by their peers.'

Mayr was one of the greatest proponents of evolution by natural selection of the last century, so in quoting him you are wrong and if you don't retract it as an example would be lying. So kindly admit you were incorrect here.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Ernst-Mayr
Yes, Mayr was not one of the scientists I was originally speaking of, but in searching for the references I came across this interesting quote from Mayr which I wished to share.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #20892 on: August 04, 2017, 10:33:39 AM »
Yes, Mayr was not one of the scientists I was originally speaking of, but in searching for the references I came across this interesting quote from Mayr which I wished to share.
which then reads as if you cherry picked it and used it to misrepresent Mayr. I suggest you edit the post where you introduced this canard, else it looks as if you are lying about Mayr.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:37:51 AM by Nearly Sane »

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #20893 on: August 04, 2017, 10:36:41 AM »
AB,

I have already pointed out the substantial difference between the observed effectiveness of evolutionary biology on relatively simple organisms such as bacteria, and...

You've tried this cheat before - "pointing out" and "asserting" are not the same thing. To point out something you need to establish it as true in the first place. I can point out that there's a computer in front of me; I can't point out that there's a dragon in my garage.

...the extrapolated assumptions that are used to apply the same logic to the incremental development of highly complex organs.  The latter requiring a considerable degree of personal optimism.

No, it requires evidence - of which there is a great deal. The only significant difference between micro and macro is time - we can't be there to watch evolution happen over billions of years. What we can do though is to examine evidence from multiple and congruent sources (the fossil record, mitochondrial DNA etc) to establish beyond reasonable doubt that evolutionary theory is correct.

Your alternative of personal incredulity and a reason- and evidence-free conjecture does you no favours.

God

Alan Burns

« Reply #20894 on: August 04, 2017, 10:39:15 AM »
which then reads as if you cherry picked it and used it to misrepresent Mayr. I suggest you edit the post where you introduced this canard, else it looks as if you are lying about Mayr.
edited  :)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #20895 on: August 04, 2017, 10:40:58 AM »

Shaker

« Reply #20896 on: August 04, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
Despite his much vaunted claims to the contrary it's becoming increasingly likely that AB's knowledge of evolutionary theory is on a par with his knowledge of the Bible: http://tinyurl.com/ya4nqt8r

Alan Burns

« Reply #20897 on: August 04, 2017, 10:46:29 AM »

Incidentally, back in 20863 I corrected a series of wrong statements you made in 20849. I see that, as ever, you've just ignored the corrections and carried on with more wrong or misleading statements.

Why do you do that?
I see your reply as just a disagreement about realistic probabilities of the evolutionary process relying on totally random mutations (coupled with natural selection, of course).

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #20898 on: August 04, 2017, 11:01:11 AM »
AB,

I see your reply as just a disagreement about realistic probabilities of the evolutionary process relying on totally random mutations (coupled with natural selection, of course).

No, you don't "see" that at all - or at least you wouldn't if you'd bothered to read and comprehend that part of the rebuttal. If you roll six dice and get six sixes you might think that to be "rare" because it's roughly a 1/46,000 event. If you roll the dice a billion times though it'll happen quite a lot (roughly 21,000 times in fact). Thus it would be a commonplace.

In other words, the simple logic involved isn't just "a disagreement" at all.

Do you understand it now? 

Oh, and should we also ignore the various other mistakes you made that I corrected?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:10:18 AM by bluehillside »

God

Shaker

« Reply #20899 on: August 04, 2017, 11:07:34 AM »
Disagreement implies (difference of) opinion - a typical ploy:

http://tinyurl.com/yarzynwg
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:09:59 AM by Shaker »