Author Topic: 1 year ago  (Read 827 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
1 year ago
« on: October 04, 2015, 07:24:01 PM »
I was on a train after hearing that my father had got worse in hospital, to then hear that he had died. It was for the best and for the last couple of years, there was rarely enough of him left to not miss him even when you were in the same room. But he loved fiercely through the 62 years he was married, and the 61 years he was a father, and he taught me that was how to seize life. Thanks, dad.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 07:29:00 PM by Nearly Sane »

Rose

Re: 1 year ago
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 08:08:48 PM »
I was on a train after hearing that my father had got worse in hospital, to then hear that he had died. It was for the best and for the last couple of years, there was rarely enough of him left to not miss him even when you were in the same room. But he loved fiercely through the 62 years he was married, and the 61 years he was a father, and he taught me that was how to seize life. Thanks, dad.

💐🌹

👍

Ramblin' rose, ramblin' rose
Why you ramble, no one knows
Wild and wind-blown, that's how you've grown
Who can cling to a ramblin' rose?

Ramble on, ramble on
When your ramblin' days are gone

Rhiannon

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 09:05:22 PM »
Thanks for sharing, NS. Clearly he taught you well.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 09:39:11 PM »
Thanks for sharing, NS. Clearly he taught you well.
I have always found it very hard to listen to Mike and the Mechanics song 'The Living Years' as my Dad died whilst I was working abroad, and coincidentally at a time when I was just beginning to recover from an acute bout of nephritis that had threatened my own life.  Even if I had travelled home I would never have made the funeral because I'd have been whisked off to hospital as soon as the plane landed.

Much as you say, NS, even though it was 33 years ago last month for me, I still miss him horrendously, and I certainly wouldn't be who or what I am now without him.  Those of us who have/had 'real' fathers have such a lot to be thankful for.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Anchorman

• Ecclesia semper reformanda est
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 09:39:54 PM »
You never forget them, NS, and nor should you. He's part of who you are.
Saor Alba gu brath!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 08:02:46 AM »
It doesn't seem like a year already NS, and in my experience thoughts and memories of loved ones are never very far away from us no matter how much time has passed.

Sometimes though, such as on anniversaries like this, they seem especially close.   

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 03:09:20 PM »

It is a wonderful way you have described your Father. The sentiment that he LOVED fiercely and taught you to seize life [live it to the full] is upllifting.
Sometimes people do not say enough about the things which really make us who we are. Thank you for sharing something so personal.

Thought of my dad. A patient man who taught by example. I personally, did not really appreciate fully the things I knew about him life. But he had a quiet inner strength.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."