Author Topic: Pantheism is mere philosophy.  (Read 10756 times)

Maeght

Re: Pantheism is mere philosophy.
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2015, 10:14:39 PM »
We feel emotion in the body - in the heart and stomach among other places. This is usually as the result of hormonal changes because we detect fear, or pleasure, or satisfaction. CBT takes the model that emotion arises as a result of thought, consciously or subconsciously. I've known people dispute that, but I think it indisputable that we experience our beliefs about the world in our body as well as our mind.

Of course we feel the results of our emotions throughout our bodies due to hormonal changes etc, that wasn't being denied.

Rhiannon

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2015, 10:18:07 PM »
So to SweetPea it will feel that is where her love for God resides, and his for her.

Maeght

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2015, 10:23:36 PM »
So to SweetPea it will feel that is where her love for God resides, and his for her.

Sure, she might feel that, but the point being made was that it is brain which hosts our thoughts and beliefs and referring to the heart in the way in which it was is poetic language. I don't think anything said has shown that to be incorrect. The heart tends to be used as a metaphor for deeper feelings and emotions and beliefs but this is poetic language surely.

Rhiannon

« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2015, 08:13:21 AM »
SweetPea says she feels her love for God not just in her mind but in her heart and elsewhere. That seems entirely plausible given that is how many (most?) would describe loving another human being. If she'd said it only resides or originates in her heart, without the mind, then that would be erroneous.

trippymonkey

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2015, 08:39:36 AM »
Is there anyone here whose heart, when they've thought of or seen someone else they really love, has beaten stronger & faster ?!!?!?

Nick

Maeght

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2015, 09:03:40 AM »
SweetPea says she feels her love for God not just in her mind but in her heart and elsewhere. That seems entirely plausible given that is how many (most?) would describe loving another human being. If she'd said it only resides or originates in her heart, without the mind, then that would be erroneous.

Perhaps we should leave it to Sweatpea to say more, if she wishes, rather than both trying to interpret what she said.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2015, 10:01:08 AM »
It is, as you suggested earlier, a poetic statement and so open to our interpretation. Taking a "literalalist" approach to it entirely misses the point.

Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Rhiannon

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2015, 10:53:59 AM »
But I do understand the feeling if loving with the body as well as mind. I describe having children as having your heart existing outside your body. That is of course a metaphor but it does in some sense reflect the very real physical pain and joy of the love that I have for my kids.

Maeght

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2015, 02:04:11 PM »
It is, as you suggested earlier, a poetic statement and so open to our interpretation. Taking a "literalalist" approach to it entirely misses the point.

Okay.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2015, 03:35:58 PM »

That's interesting but I don't entirely agree. My 'belief' in Ahayah, God comes far more from my inner than my mind. It's difficult to explain, but my relationship with God and Jesus Christ resonates in my heart and even beyond my heart.

Nice poetic language Sweetpea but it is the brain which hosts our thoughts, not the heart. Those thoughts, beliefs etc may be deeply felt but that doesn't mean they come from anywhere other than the brain.
You have no proof for that, that is a mere assertion and speculation.

Which bit? All scientific evidence shows that are thoughts are associated with activity in the brain, there is no evidence that the heart does anything other than pump blood that I know of. Even those who believe in an external consciousness seem to accept that the brain is the receiver and processor of that consciousness, not the heart. So do you think a relationship can resonate in the muscle we call the heart?

Actually if you consider the biofield and the chakras...the heart area does store, emit and receive emotional energies. Its called the Anahata chakra.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anahata

Maeght

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2015, 04:43:26 PM »
Why should I consider the biofield and chakras though, when there is no evidence they exist?

SweetPea

• John 8:32
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2015, 04:54:01 PM »
Sriram.... agreed.

Maeght, it's ok.... I understand exactly where you're coming from. We are on different wavelengths, literally, that's not just an expression. I'm 'tuned' in one direction and you in another. This is why we 'connect' with certain people and not with others. It really doesn't matter.

Try this.... do you believe you are an atheist or do you 'feel' you are an atheist. In other words does the thought resonate more deeply.

Another, similar to Trippy's analogy: have you ever experienced a broken heart? If so, did your head ache or did your heart ache?                               
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind ~ 2 Timothy 1:7

trippymonkey

« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2015, 05:02:41 PM »
Why should I consider the biofield and chakras though, when there is no evidence they exist?

How do you know whether any other planet exist?

If we only believe what we see then why do we have teachers ?!?!!?!?

Nick

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2015, 05:06:59 PM »
SweetPea says she feels her love for God not just in her mind but in her heart and elsewhere. That seems entirely plausible

The heart is just a pump. It does not have a central nervous system. Obviously, in certain circumstances, it beats faster and your brain may notice that. However, if somebody says "I know God exists in my heart" it is purely metaphorical.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Rhiannon

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2015, 05:07:44 PM »
Sticking my head above the parapet somewhat, my own experience is that the bio field and energy healing are both 'real', and that chakras are a good way to work with that (a bit like reading a map). I know there's no evidence for that, but I think that is because we don't yet have the capacity (or maybe the inclination) to prove what to me is entirely natural and un-woo.

Rhiannon

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2015, 05:12:08 PM »
SweetPea says she feels her love for God not just in her mind but in her heart and elsewhere. That seems entirely plausible

The heart is just a pump. It does not have a central nervous system. Obviously, in certain circumstances, it beats faster and your brain may notice that. However, if somebody says "I know God exists in my heart" it is purely metaphorical.

During a severe anxiety attack I feel like my heart will stop and my blood pressure raises. When I fall in love my stomach contracts and I can't eat.

But yes, it's impossible to know with the heart. The heart is where we feel things, not know things. And feelings are unreliable in terms of giving us impartial knowledge.

Jack Knave

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2015, 05:16:09 PM »

That's interesting but I don't entirely agree. My 'belief' in Ahayah, God comes far more from my inner than my mind. It's difficult to explain, but my relationship with God and Jesus Christ resonates in my heart and even beyond my heart.

Nice poetic language Sweetpea but it is the brain which hosts our thoughts, not the heart. Those thoughts, beliefs etc may be deeply felt but that doesn't mean they come from anywhere other than the brain.
You have no proof for that, that is a mere assertion and speculation.

Which bit? All scientific evidence shows that are thoughts are associated with activity in the brain, there is no evidence that the heart does anything other than pump blood that I know of. Even those who believe in an external consciousness seem to accept that the brain is the receiver and processor of that consciousness, not the heart. So do you think a relationship can resonate in the muscle we call the heart?
This joke about how some people use the word heart as a reference to our inner feelings and spirit or life is really running very thin - not funny mate!!!

Jack Knave

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2015, 05:29:43 PM »
Is there anyone here whose heart, when they've thought of or seen someone else they really love, has beaten stronger & faster ?!!?!?

Nick
Fear has the same effect.

Jack Knave

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2015, 05:42:09 PM »

Nick
Teaching is based on trust and the inculcation of social norms.

Maeght

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2015, 06:39:17 PM »
Sriram.... agreed.

Maeght, it's ok.... I understand exactly where you're coming from. We are on different wavelengths, literally, that's not just an expression. I'm 'tuned' in one direction and you in another. This is why we 'connect' with certain people and not with others. It really doesn't matter.

Indeed, just a discussion.

Try this.... do you believe you are an atheist or do you 'feel' you are an atheist. In other words does the thought resonate more deeply.

I've no idea what resonate more deeply means I'm afraid. I have no belief in God and when I hear religious speak it means nothing to me.

Another, similar to Trippy's analogy: have you ever experienced a broken heart? If so, did your head ache or did your heart ache?                             

I have experienced emotions which emanate from my thoughts - which have cause physical sensations in my body. Heartache is a poetic phrase but the ache is not in or emanating from my heart.

Maeght

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2015, 06:40:40 PM »

Nick

Did you reply to the right post there?

Maeght

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2015, 06:41:46 PM »

This joke about how some people use the word heart as a reference to our inner feelings and spirit or life is really running very thin - not funny mate!!!

What joke? Not sure what you are getting at to be honest.

trippymonkey

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »

Nick

Did you reply to the right post there?

AHH Yes You're one of those here who thinks that we should ALL do & say as YOU do & if YOU don't get it it must be wrong.
Nuff said !!!

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2015, 06:31:22 AM »
Hi everyone,

We use the word 'heart' to refer to our feelings because the feelings actually exist in the heart chakra (anahata).  Similarly with jealousy in the solar plexus chakra and fear in the navel chakra and so on.

When the heart chakra is fed with positive energy it expands and we feel fulfilled and happy. If it is not fed it becomes depleted and small, we feel deprived and unhappy. 

The activities of these energies that surround us initiate corresponding chemical activity in the body which responds accordingly. 

Just some thoughts.

Sriram
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 07:11:40 AM by Sriram »

Outrider

« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2015, 08:44:50 AM »
We use the word 'heart' to refer to our feelings because the feelings actually exist in the heart chakra (anahata).

No, it doesn't. We use the word 'heart' to refer to a source of feelings because the hormonal response to certain strong emotional states affects the heartbeat and ancient people's made a false correlation.

Similarly with jealousy in the solar plexus chakra and fear in the navel chakra and so on.

There is no evidence for any sort of 'energy field' that correlates with the notion of chakras.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints