Author Topic: Resurrection  (Read 22853 times)

BashfulAnthony

Re: Resurrection
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2015, 03:18:12 PM »
I think she is, of course.
Of course, but that's only your belief, which you can't demonstrate to be the case.
But the question is:  can she not remember that she is saying the same old thing every few minutes?  Quite worrying really.
You say that as though we don't hear the same old wearying parade of unevidenced assertions and logical fallacies from Christians. When can we expect you to criticise Hope for his near-daily deployment of the negative proof fallacy, for instance?

Whether she's right or not is irrelevant to the present discussion, which is about her rather disturbing repetition of the same thing, interminably.  It's a touch of the, "if I say it three times, it's true,"  syndrome, carried to excess.
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

Shaker

« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2015, 03:19:23 PM »
So as I said and you ignored, you'll be pointing this out to Hope the next time he uses his favourite fallacy, yes?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2015, 03:21:35 PM »
So as I said and you ignored, you'll be pointing this out to Hope the next time he uses his favourite fallacy, yes?

Well, at least he doesn't say it in such a childishly boring manner.  And what would you do if he stopped?  It would seriously curtail your opportunities to be abusive and arrogant!     ;)
BA.

Outrider

« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2015, 03:22:55 PM »
Science, of course, has to be verifiable...

Yes.

My science is verifiable because it upholds all of modern science and goes much, much, further.

No, it doesn't 'uphold' modern science, or even the findings of modern scientific enquiry. As soon as you assert that it 'goes further' you've exceeded scientific methodology and entered, at best, speculation. As it is, you've reverted back past the onset of scientific methodology to indulge in baseless superstition.

Sadly, we need to know what Jesus was saying and doing at the time of his ministry rather than just dismiss him because man has twisted his word to breach the code.

Why do we need to know what Jesus was saying? Surely the argument stands or falls on its own merits? Either it's true, in which case it doesn't matter if it's attributed to Jesus or not, or it's not true, in which case it doesn't matter if it's attributed to Jesus or not. Of course, if you're suggesting that the Bible misrepresents Jesus that's a different story, which would lead me to the question 'How come you have the right version'? The last guy that thought that seems to have been Joseph Smith, and the one before him was Mohammed ibn 'Abd Allah.

Science doesn't work well that way.

I can, without fear of contradiction, concede that you are an expert in how science doesn't work.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Shaker

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2015, 03:25:50 PM »
Well, at least he doesn't say it in such a childishly boring manner.
I'm not bothered by the manner; I'm bothered by the fact that it's a massive, howling failure of logical thought which has been pointed out to him innumerable times, yet he persists in perpetrating it practically every time he puts fingers to keyboard.

And what would you do if he stopped?  It would seriously curtail your opportunities to be abusive and arrogant!     ;)
I'd move on to all his other logical fallacies. There are plenty of them after all.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2015, 03:28:29 PM »
enki, SusanDorit, Floo, ippy, Outrider, Hope, Riannon, BashfulAnthony, Shaker:

I'm pleased to be back too. There is no satisfaction in being a Christian and not trying to save some from the inevitable alternative called Hades.

Isn't Hades the Greek underworld? You're not holding truck with pagan gods, surely!?!?!

I have all the proof I need, it is just your misfortune if I don't make the points clearly...perhaps a Bible study might help.

Given that I can't see very many clear links between what you say and what's written in the Bible, I suspect it won't help very much at all. I'm glad that you think you have proof - is this proof in a format that you can communicate to other people, or is this the sort of proof that's conveniently only available inside your head via 'personal revelation/really, really wanting it to be true'?

Jesus was teaching us science...but it is centred around mankind rather than greed and wealth...

No. Science is a methodology for examining the world around us to determine the mechanics of reality. Jesus was teaching us a philosophy, at least as he's depicted in the New Testament, of (broadly) tolerance, peace and reconciliation, although the account fails to adequately compensate for the implicit misogyny of the times or the rampant homophobia, tribalism, violence and racism of its predecessor work or the contributions from some of his followers.

It is centred around an All Knowing God, rather than accidental nature, and it is centred around the power of resurrection rather than the sloppy and abusive laws of spirit-craft.

Arguably the philosophy is centred around valuing people as people, whilst the supernatural mythic elements that are hung on the story are about an omniscient deity, with unevidenced assertions like 'soul' and 'resurrection' and 'spirit' thrown in to the mix.

Follow science and achieve everlasting life because, by the resurrection of Jesus Christ we know it is all possible.

Your definition of science does not seem to coincide with the typical understanding of the concept.

Faith is required because it is all far to complicated for us but that faith is supplied by Biblical study.

If this is science, faith is not required. Science is the process of accumulating evidence to support or refute provisional explanations of observed hypotheses, whilst faith is the maintenance of a preconceived position in the absence of, or in spite of, the evidence.

O.

Science, of course, has to be verifiable...My science is verifiable because it upholds all of modern science and goes much, much, further. Sadly, we need to know what Jesus was saying and doing at the time of his ministry rather than just dismiss him because man has twisted his word to breach the code. Science doesn't work well that way.

Darling NM you and science is an oxymoron! ;D

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2015, 03:34:47 PM »

I'm pleased to be back too. There is no satisfaction in being a Christian and not trying to save some from the inevitable alternative called Hades.

Isn't Hades the Greek underworld? You're not holding truck with pagan gods, surely!?!?!

I have all the proof I need, it is just your misfortune if I don't make the points clearly...perhaps a Bible study might help.

Given that I can't see very many clear links between what you say and what's written in the Bible, I suspect it won't help very much at all. I'm glad that you think you have proof - is this proof in a format that you can communicate to other people, or is this the sort of proof that's conveniently only available inside your head via 'personal revelation/really, really wanting it to be true'?

Jesus was teaching us science...but it is centred around mankind rather than greed and wealth...

No. Science is a methodology for examining the world around us to determine the mechanics of reality. Jesus was teaching us a philosophy, at least as he's depicted in the New Testament, of (broadly) tolerance, peace and reconciliation, although the account fails to adequately compensate for the implicit misogyny of the times or the rampant homophobia, tribalism, violence and racism of its predecessor work or the contributions from some of his followers.

It is centred around an All Knowing God, rather than accidental nature, and it is centred around the power of resurrection rather than the sloppy and abusive laws of spirit-craft.

Arguably the philosophy is centred around valuing people as people, whilst the supernatural mythic elements that are hung on the story are about an omniscient deity, with unevidenced assertions like 'soul' and 'resurrection' and 'spirit' thrown in to the mix.

Follow science and achieve everlasting life because, by the resurrection of Jesus Christ we know it is all possible.

Your definition of science does not seem to coincide with the typical understanding of the concept.

Faith is required because it is all far to complicated for us but that faith is supplied by Biblical study.

If this is science, faith is not required. Science is the process of accumulating evidence to support or refute provisional explanations of observed hypotheses, whilst faith is the maintenance of a preconceived position in the absence of, or in spite of, the evidence.

O.

Science, of course, has to be verifiable...My science is verifiable because it upholds all of modern science and goes much, much, further. Sadly, we need to know what Jesus was saying and doing at the time of his ministry rather than just dismiss him because man has twisted his word to breach the code. Science doesn't work well that way.

Darling NM you and science is an oxymoron! ;D

As is, "Floo's posts and original posts."   :D
BA.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2015, 03:35:20 PM »

Jesus was teaching us science...but it is centred around mankind rather than greed and wealth...It is centred around an All Knowing God, rather than accidental nature, and it is centred around the power of resurrection rather than the sloppy and abusive laws of spirit-craft.

Nick, I've done an alarming amount of Bible study in my time, and a bit of formal study too, and none of it bore any resemblance to your stuff. But hey, it's making you happy.

You mean you have never felt the warmth and comfort offered by realising that the world is in a mess, not by the things the sincere Christian does, who are working towards righteous peace and harmony, but the things that the unChristian do. You have never felt that you have an inner eye and an inner strength guiding you away from scammers and the deceitful. You have never felt the inner glow of caring and repair when you are tired and distressed...there us much more but I wont rub salt in the wound.

floo

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2015, 03:40:19 PM »

Jesus was teaching us science...but it is centred around mankind rather than greed and wealth...It is centred around an All Knowing God, rather than accidental nature, and it is centred around the power of resurrection rather than the sloppy and abusive laws of spirit-craft.

Nick, I've done an alarming amount of Bible study in my time, and a bit of formal study too, and none of it bore any resemblance to your stuff. But hey, it's making you happy.

You mean you have never felt the warmth and comfort offered by realising that the world is in a mess, not by the things the sincere Christian does, who are working towards righteous peace and harmony, but the things that the unChristian do. You have never felt that you have an inner eye and an inner strength guiding you away from scammers and the deceitful. You have never felt the inner glow of caring and repair when you are tired and distressed...there us much more but I wont rub salt in the wound.

Having read the Bible many times throughout my life, I get warmth and comfort  from the thought that in all probability it is a manmade creation and the evil Biblical deity doesn't exist!

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2015, 03:45:05 PM »

Having read the Bible many times throughout my life, I get warmth and comfort  from the thought that in all probability it is a manmade creation and the evil Biblical deity doesn't exist!

The obvious question then, is,  not believing any of it, why do you keep reading it, "many times"?
BA.

Shaker

« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2015, 03:49:15 PM »
Depends on the translation. If it's the Authorized Version, the sheer beauty of the English is reason enough, the Old Testament especially.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2015, 03:50:32 PM »
Floo, Shaker, Outrider:

I too have to smile a little when your very own science says that there is an invisible force...unseen and virtually undetectable, that is 93%  of all known matter in the universe but refuse to acknowledge that the Holy Bible, Jesus Christ, and now me, are saying that the other 7% is the product of that invisible material...that it is a dynamic energy clearly identified in the Holy Bible and is the spiritual water we are invited to participate in to quench all our spiritual thirsts...if we want resurrection...that is.

Rhiannon

« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2015, 03:51:35 PM »

I'll live with it.  :)

floo

« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2015, 03:54:07 PM »
Floo, Shaker, Outrider:

I too have to smile a little when your very own science says that there is an invisible force...unseen and virtually undetectable, that is 93%  of all known matter in the universe but refuse to acknowledge that the Holy Bible, Jesus Christ, and now me, are saying that the other 7% is the product of that invisible material...that it is a dynamic energy clearly identified in the Holy Bible and is the spiritual water we are invited to participate in to quench all our spiritual thirsts...if we want resurrection...that is.

DYNAMIC ENERGY! Do you have that phrase tattooed on your forehead, NM? ;D

How many Christians, even the more extreme ones, see it your way? 

NicholasMarks

« Reply #64 on: November 11, 2015, 03:55:14 PM »

Not according to the Holy Bible cus we are told when push comes to shove there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth...and I, in my own small way, are trying to guide you away from that.

Rhiannon

« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2015, 03:56:15 PM »
Thank you but it's fine, really.

floo

« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »

Not according to the Holy Bible cus we are told when push comes to shove there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth...and I, in my own small way, are trying to guide you away from that.

Well my dear, I am afraid you are not being very successful. But your posts are entertaining, I give you that. ;D

NicholasMarks

« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2015, 03:59:34 PM »
Floo, Shaker, Outrider:

Well...in a spiritual sense, I suppose I have. How can we ignore a property that The Holy Bible says is the Mighty Power from which every star is made and not see its value. Understanding this key point will bring you into space age science and resurrection.   (must dash)

Outrider

« Reply #68 on: November 11, 2015, 04:07:04 PM »
You mean you have never felt the warmth and comfort offered by realising that the world is in a mess, not by the things the sincere Christian does, who are working towards righteous peace and harmony, but the things that the unChristian do.

I think it's fair to say that, whilst some Christians are indeed trying to work towards peace and harmony (righteous or otherwise), some of them are working towards imposing their religion on others against their will, stripping workforces of their employment rights and trying to impoverish the many for the benefit of the few - it's called 'America'. At the same time, there are any number of non-Christians on both sides of that divide as well.

You have never felt that you have an inner eye and an inner strength guiding you away from scammers and the deceitful.

No, I have an inner brain that guides me.

You have never felt the inner glow of caring and repair when you are tired and distressed...there us much more but I wont rub salt in the wound.

Yes, typically at the talented, qualified masseur hands of the inestimable Mrs O. :)

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

floo

« Reply #69 on: November 11, 2015, 04:14:09 PM »
Floo, Shaker, Outrider:

Well...in a spiritual sense, I suppose I have. How can we ignore a property that The Holy Bible says is the Mighty Power from which every star is made and not see its value. Understanding this key point will bring you into space age science and resurrection.   (must dash)

It makes no sense that is why?

Outrider

« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2015, 04:21:46 PM »
The obvious question then, is,  not believing any of it, why do you keep reading it, "many times"?

"If you know others and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know others but know yourself, you win one and lose one; if you do not know others and do not know yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

O.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2015, 05:14:28 PM »
"If you know others and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know others but know yourself, you win one and lose one; if you do not know others and do not know yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle."

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

O.
Clearly Floo hasn't learnt this principle.  Pretty well every time she pronounces on the general 'religion' issue she shows that she doesn't have any knowledge of her target.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

NicholasMarks

« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2015, 05:21:57 PM »

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

O.

I am also quoting a few famous people in my own little post...not the least being that the scientist who said that  the first law of energy conservation is that it can neither be made or lost only changed into another equal energy when put to work...Well that is where all scientists seem to be in argument with themselves...contrary to Almighty God, Jesus Christ, Newton, and me, who say that this 'dynamic energy' that built the universe existed before the big-bang and created it...and there is no escape from this fact which science dodges with a palpitating sweat.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 05:29:26 PM by NicholasMarks »

floo

« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2015, 05:48:44 PM »

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

O.
Clearly Floo hasn't learnt this principle.  Pretty well every time she pronounces on the general 'religion' issue she shows that she doesn't have any knowledge of her target.

What does that mean?

Outrider

« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2015, 07:12:53 PM »
I am also quoting a few famous people in my own little post...

You're not quoting, you're referencing at best, paraphrasing at least, and just plain misunderstanding in some parts.

...not the least being that the scientist who said that  the first law of energy conservation is that it can neither be made or lost only changed into another equal energy when put to work...

That sounds like Liebnitz to me, but I suspect that's not who you mean.

Well that is where all scientists seem to be in argument with themselves...contrary to Almighty God, Jesus Christ, Newton, and me, who say that this 'dynamic energy' that built the universe existed before the big-bang and created it...and there is no escape from this fact which science dodges with a palpitating sweat.

I suggest you read Krauss' 'A Universe From Nothing: Why there is something and not nothing' for a scientific account of what it seems likely, according to current scientific understanding, led to the Big Bang. You can try to hijack that for your faith system if you'd like, but I don't think you're fooling anyone. Even if you choose that particularly loose translation of the Old Testament, it still lacks the rigourous description that would make it an actual account and not just vague waffle.

O.