Author Topic: A week in Australia  (Read 722 times)

SusanDoris

A week in Australia
« on: December 01, 2015, 04:54:11 PM »
Today I have paid a deposit on business class seats on an Emirates flight to Perth, a flight from Perth to Adelaide, and the return flight home! The compensation claim money is still theoretical,(!!*) but at my age, who cares?! First quote from BA was nearly 6,000 but it was very inflexible; the first quote from Emirates was 13,000!!!!!, but the agreed cost is less than 4,500, so that sounds good. My friends have put the dates in their diaries so that's something to look forward to next June.

*The very minimum will be 10,000 but I think the solicitor thinks it will be quite a bit more. However, I have never lived my life on expectations!!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Shaker

Re: A week in Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2015, 04:55:29 PM »
How lovely - I'm sure it'll be wonderful SD :)
I work hard so that my cats can have a better life.

Bubbles

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 06:38:34 PM »
Today I have paid a deposit on business class seats on an Emirates flight to Perth, a flight from Perth to Adelaide, and the return flight home! The compensation claim money is still theoretical,(!!*) but at my age, who cares?! First quote from BA was nearly 6,000 but it was very inflexible; the first quote from Emirates was 13,000!!!!!, but the agreed cost is less than 4,500, so that sounds good. My friends have put the dates in their diaries so that's something to look forward to next June.

*The very minimum will be 10,000 but I think the solicitor thinks it will be quite a bit more. However, I have never lived my life on expectations!!

Sounds like fun :)

Have you got any family over there?

Samuel

• geology rocks
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 07:28:52 PM »
Amazing!

I have a friend from Perth and family in Adelaide. If what they say is anything to go by you will have a bonza time. Thats a free lesson on the local dialect by the way. It's important. If you don't at least try the locals. Ought be offended  ;)
A lot of people don't believe that the loch ness monster exists. Now, I don't know anything about zooology, biology, geology, herpetology, evolutionary theory, evolutionary biology, marine biology, cryptozoology, palaeontology or archaeology... but I think... what if a dinosaur got into the lake?

SusanDoris

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2015, 06:09:58 AM »
No family, but friends I made as a result of doing exchange teaching in 1986. I spent the year in a small town called Port Lincoln, due west from Adelaide. I did as much travelling around as I could then and have visited five times since to take in the bits I missed! I got to know the Perth family when they were living near here in England exchange teaching.

Bubbles

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2015, 07:34:57 AM »
No family, but friends I made as a result of doing exchange teaching in 1986. I spent the year in a small town called Port Lincoln, due west from Adelaide. I did as much travelling around as I could then and have visited five times since to take in the bits I missed! I got to know the Perth family when they were living near here in England exchange teaching.

Have a wonderful time  :)

🌹

Gonnagle

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2015, 09:37:55 AM »
Dear Susan,

May I suggest a little light reading to aid you in understanding the culture of Australia, Terry Pratchetts "The Last Continent".

Watch out for talking kangaroo's.

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

SusanDoris

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 12:16:58 PM »
I listened to the talking book of that a few weeks ago - laughing out loud quite often of course! :)
I've nearly finished re-reading (talking books ) the whole series, and am nearly at the end of Guards, Guards (in braille) at the moment. So many  clever details.
Brilliant.

Trentvoyager

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 12:25:05 PM »
I hope you have a wonderful time Susan.

Years since I went - but the highlight for me was Adelaide. A wonderful warm city.
No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another - Charles Dickens

ippy

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 08:52:54 PM »

Make sure you're taken to the town centre foodhall and have a meal there.

Austrailia's a lovely place I'm certain you'll enjoy every minute you have there, good luck to you.

Ippy