Author Topic: Can I just ask:  (Read 15893 times)

floo

Re: Can I just ask:
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2016, 08:36:00 AM »
What we should be doing is living life to the full down here, and not worrying about some afterlife which may not exist.

Shaker

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2016, 08:47:10 AM »
What we should be doing is living life to the full down here, and not worrying about some afterlife which may not exist.
Simply put. One life at a time, as Robert Ingersoll said. Is there another one? I don't know. Do I think there is? No.

I'm here now, though.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2016, 08:49:32 AM »
Simply put. One life at a time, as Robert Ingersoll said. Is there another one? I don't know. Do I think there is? No.

I'm here now, though.

It seems crazy to me that some folk spend so much time contemplating an afterlife, they miss out on enjoying the one they have here.

Sassy

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2016, 08:50:08 AM »
Why is it so important to you that there is an afterlife?

What is so wrong with the fact that we all just eventually return to dust, making no real impact on the history of planet Earth?

Why do you need to think/believe there is an afterlife??

Afterlife   =   Why is it so important?

Returning to dust = what is wrong with the fact?

Afterlife = is there a need to think/believe in an afterlife.

If returning to dust is to be believed as being final would there be a need to think/believe there is an afterlife?
Not sure you really thought about the questions in relation to each other.

I would say that you have to ask yourself those questions.
I see no need or importance being given to believe in an afterlife. It everyone just returned to dust and that was the end of the matter then there is nothing else required.

I don't really think about an afterlife. The bible tells us:
King James Bible
But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

I do not believe life ends at death. There would be little purpose for us to exist at all if everything was for nothing.
Sometimes our life experience and our love for others assures us there is something more to this life.

We all search for truth, that is most of us. There is too much in heaven and earth for their to be nothing.
I don't need to believe in afterlife, as for returning to dust, we all do it.
But we are not an accident. In life we have to follow our hearts and live as we would want others to treat us.
God is my reason for believing in eternal life. I am sad so many atheists use him as a battering ram to hurt believers.
Hurting a believer because they believe in God is no different to any other type of prejudice born by man to others.

I am not sure why you need an answer when you will remain with your own belief in this matter.
It won't add or take away from your belief. Why do you feel the need not to believe in an afterlife?
I would have thought you would question your own beliefs before the those of others.
Why don't you believe in anything but dying and returning to dust?

We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Sassy

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2016, 08:51:15 AM »
So if people think you is bad - you goes to hell.

But if you is remembered fondly - you goes to heaven.

Going to heaven or hell is a choice the individual makes it has nothing to do with what others think about you.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

floo

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2016, 08:52:38 AM »
I would much prefer to die and cease to be, rather than spend eternity in 'heaven' with the Biblical deity.

Shaker

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2016, 08:53:24 AM »
It seems crazy to me that some folk spend so much time contemplating an afterlife, they miss out on enjoying the one they have here.

"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon." - Susan Ertz.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

floo

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2016, 08:53:32 AM »
Going to heaven or hell is a choice the individual makes it has nothing to do with what others think about you.

In your opinion.

Sassy

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2016, 08:56:11 AM »
In your opinion.

In the Christian faith it isn't an opinion it is a fact. You choose whether you go to heaven or hell.
As I know of no other heaven or hell choices then the facts show the belief is based on the choice of the individual.
FULL STOP and not an opinion.

Shaker

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2016, 08:57:43 AM »
In the Christian faith it isn't an opinion it is a fact. You choose whether you go to heaven or hell.
As I know of no other heaven or hell choices then the facts show the belief is based on the choice of the individual.
Stating that an opinion is a fact doesn't make it so.

floo

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2016, 09:25:37 AM »

As there is no evidence heaven or hell exist in reality, how can a non believer make a choice about something which is only a matter of faith?

SqueakyVoice

• Life. Don't talk to me about life.
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2016, 09:58:04 AM »
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon." - Susan Ertz.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wowbagger,_the_Infinitely_Prolonged
 Unlike other immortals, whom he calls "a load of serene bastards", he doesn't cope very well with his infinite life, having not been born into it and thus lacking the innate ability to handle it. Finding something to do on Sunday afternoons causes him particular difficulties. Eventually he comes up with a plan to keep himself busy: he will insult every single living being in the universe - in alphabetical order.
I think I'm going to adopt this plan if I ever become immortal.

In fact, most Sunday afternoons I feel like adopting this plan.
"Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all" - D Adams

Shaker

« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2016, 12:13:37 PM »
"God and immortality ... find no support in science ... No doubt people will continue to entertain these beliefs, because they are pleasant, just as it is pleasant to think ourselves virtuous and our enemies wicked. But for my part I cannot see any ground for either ... Persons are part of the everyday world with which science is concerned, and the conditions which determine their existence are discoverable. A drop of water is not immortal; it can be resolved into oxygen and hydrogen. If, therefore, a drop of water were to maintain that it had a quality of aqueousness which would survive its dissolution we should be inclined to be skeptical. In like manner we know that the brain is not immortal, and that the organized energy of a living body becomes, as it were, demobilized at death, and therefore not available for collective action. All the evidence goes to show that what we regard as our mental life is bound up with brain structure and organized bodily energy. Therefore it is rational to suppose that mental life ceases when bodily life ceases. The argument is only one of probability, but it is as strong as those upon which most scientific conclusions are based." - Bertrand Russell

Rhiannon

« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2016, 12:24:15 PM »

People don't simply worry about an afterlife, but live as though their lives depend on it.

Which is no life at all.

Leonard James

« Reply #39 on: March 25, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »
People don't simply worry about an afterlife, but live as though their lives depend on it.

Which is no life at all.

Unfortunately they find happiness doing so, and it seems like a disservice to wake them up.  :(

floo

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »

Which is no life at all.

Agreed.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2016, 02:40:06 PM »

Which is no life at all.
Can't say that I know anyone who does this, Rhi.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2016, 02:41:04 PM »
God and immortality ... find no support in science ...
and science has to be the be-all and end-all?  No.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Shaker

« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2016, 02:59:53 PM »
and science has to be the be-all and end-all?  No.
By all means furnish us with some other method of consistently, accurately and reliably knowing stuff.

Not that you will, obviously ...

Leonard James

« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2016, 04:16:40 PM »
By all means furnish us with some other method of consistently, accurately and reliably knowing stuff.

You forgot his "God" breathed book.  :)

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2016, 04:30:50 PM »

Well, I wouldn't start with science, for a start.  As we all know science is consistent and reliable at discovering things and showing that what was previously believed to be deemed knowledge to be incorrect.

I'm not sure that one can associate the term 'accurate' with science, as a result.

Leonard James

« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2016, 04:34:21 PM »
Well, I wouldn't start with science, for a start.  As we all know science is consistent and reliable at discovering things and showing that what was previously believed to be deemed knowledge to be incorrect.

I'm not sure that one can associate the term 'accurate' with science, as a result.

No, science is useless! We should have stuck to our caves and animal skins. We would be better off!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2016, 05:04:00 PM »
No, science is useless! We should have stuck to our caves and animal skins. We would be better off!
Again, as someone who has studied sceince to 'A'-level, I'd have to disagree, Len.  But then, I make it my business to disagree with you   ;)

Leonard James

« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2016, 05:10:36 PM »
Again, as someone who has studied sceince to 'A'-level, I'd have to disagree, Len.  But then, I make it my business to disagree with you   ;)

I am happy to say you are not alone! If we all agreed about everything the forum would be very boring.

BeRational

« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2016, 05:22:28 PM »

Did you pass any science subject?

I see gullible people, everywhere!