Author Topic: Who are the NT epistles aimed at?  (Read 40651 times)

jjohnjil

Re: Who are the NT epistles aimed at?
« Reply #275 on: June 12, 2016, 01:30:29 PM »
You don't get it do you. Like those people in the bible I know God.
The reality is not what you read but the truth and power of the God behind those words.
You live for you and no it isn't okay because you and your loved ones miss out on the power and presence in your life of the one person who defines it's meaning,

So what there are a couple of people or so fighting a corner. But  a corner where you have no hope, nothing outside yourselves which is able to sustain on help you with life.

The truth is you have never gone beyond your own pride and selfish reasoning.
My life has been incredibly difficult at times. It is fair to say many of you would never survive.
However, the truth about God is not dependent on our feelings or what the book says. The truth is dependent on the being who is God. No matter how hard life might get or be, the one sustaining truth within this universe and world is the existence of God the creator.

My family and I, go through much difficult times. But I believe I will live to see the LORD's goodness to me in this life.
What I do not need is people reflecting their own pessimistic and lack of belief at me. We who believe know that our circumstances do not change who God is. Whilst difficult for a time God will come and take us to another level and provide our needs.

You choose what you will but I will serve the LORD, because that truth never changes regardless of the world or people.
You choose your own way, I choose the LORD's way.

The trouble is, Sassy, you see The Truth as what's written in an ancient book by ancient men. 

They had good reason to see things the way they did - you don't have any excuse, other than wilful ignorance and a refusal to look beyond the words they wrote.

ippy

« Reply #276 on: June 12, 2016, 02:00:49 PM »
The reality is not what you read but the truth and power of the God behind those words.
You live for you and no it isn't okay because you and your loved ones miss out on the power and presence in your life of the one person who defines it's meaning,

So what there are a couple of people or so fighting a corner. But  a corner where you have no hope, nothing outside yourselves which is able to sustain on help you with life.

My life has been incredibly difficult at times. It is fair to say many of you would never survive.
However, the truth about God is not dependent on our feelings or what the book says. The truth is dependent on the being who is God. No matter how hard life might get or be, the one sustaining truth within this universe and world is the existence of God the creator.

My family and I, go through much difficult times. But I believe I will live to see the LORD's goodness to me in this life.
What I do not need is people reflecting their own pessimistic and lack of belief at me. We who believe know that our circumstances do not change who God is. Whilst difficult for a time God will come and take us to another level and provide our needs.

You choose what you will but I will serve the LORD, because that truth never changes regardless of the world or people.

I note Sass no evidence offered again only the eqivilent of the bible said or god said, if either one does say how do you know, if god said it to you, how do you know it wasn't  a nearby ventriloquist.

The reason you don't answer Sass, is because you haven't got an answer, shelling out a load of old bygone text doesn't amount to an answer, I suspect you might go back to your more usual tack and keep your head down when you can't answer, like now.

I look forward to perhaps getting a rational answer from you one day, you might get Hope to help you with the aquisition of some evidence that might support this god idea the pair of you keep hanging on to.

ippy

« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 03:43:50 PM by ippy »

floo

« Reply #277 on: June 12, 2016, 02:16:24 PM »

Those people in the Bible made up their version of god just like you do. They wanted to believe it exists but lacked the evidence as there is none.

ippy

« Reply #278 on: June 12, 2016, 11:29:43 PM »
Sass you keep filling the forum with your nonsensicle second rate bilge, can't think of anything that makes any sense?

Just an admision that you  have no credible evidence will do.

ippy

Sassy

« Reply #279 on: June 13, 2016, 07:53:48 AM »
The trouble is, Sassy, you see The Truth as what's written in an ancient book by ancient men. 

They had good reason to see things the way they did - you don't have any excuse, other than wilful ignorance and a refusal to look beyond the words they wrote.

Actually jjohnjil,

Therein lies your real problem... the pride and guilt that you ignore what I have said and return to the " I am right no matter what others tell me". No open mind and no allowance for the truth of what someone knows that you cannot know because you choose not to.

The trouble is that you refuse to accept the FACT I see the truth about God not because of what someone wrote but simply because God is, whom those men wrote about.

Knowing God is about Truth. Because you cannot see it and do not want to see it, does not mean that your making excuses for it, is right.

We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

Sassy

« Reply #280 on: June 13, 2016, 07:57:15 AM »
I note Sass no evidence offered again only the eqivilent of the bible said or god said, if either one does say how do you know, if god said it to you, how do you know it wasn't  a nearby ventriloquist.

The reason you don't answer Sass, is because you haven't got an answer, shelling out a load of old bygone text doesn't amount to an answer, I suspect you might go back to your more usual tack and keep your head down when you can't answer, like now.

I look forward to perhaps getting a rational answer from you one day, you might get Hope to help you with the aquisition of some evidence that might support this god idea the pair of you keep hanging on to.

ippy

I note the unwillingness to do as the bible says to find the evidence it tells us is there.
So I guess you will stick your head back in the sand and pretend that God cannot see you because you don't believe in him.
However the truth is you do not read the bible and have never done as it is instructs which in truth means you cannot claim no evidence because you have never looked or obeyed it.
But the most important truth is that you NEVER WANTED TO, AND YOU NEVER LOOKED.

So actually you are the only one who has no proof because you never did as the bible tells you.

You choose not to look, you choose not to believe and so eventually you will be judged as you chose to be,.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #281 on: June 13, 2016, 08:00:09 AM »
Sass you keep filling the forum with your nonsensicle second rate bilge, can't think of anything that makes any sense?

Just an admision that you  have no credible evidence will do.

ippy
ObeY God, read the bible and do as he tells you and then you will know.

The truth is you simply do not want to know God or the truth.
You choose to be ignorant that you must want the truth and search for the truth yourself.
Till you do you won't have your own proof. You have been told the way now stop making yourself look ridiculous.
You chose what you believed. Your action to not read the bible so ignore the way to know the truth is down to your own choice and pride. God can prove to you he is there, but you choose not to do as he tells you.
Your epic failure nothing to do with me.

floo

« Reply #282 on: June 13, 2016, 08:32:38 AM »

You choose to be ignorant that you must want the truth and search for the truth yourself.
Till you do you won't have your own proof. You have been told the way now stop making yourself look ridiculous.
You chose what you believed. Your action to not read the bible so ignore the way to know the truth is down to your own choice and pride. God can prove to you he is there, but you choose not to do as he tells you.

Pot and kettle, you choose what you believe too, that is obvious from your posts!

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #283 on: June 13, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »
ObeY God, read the bible and do as he tells you........

...and how, exactly, does one do that?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:53:38 PM by Sebastian Toe »
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

ippy

« Reply #284 on: June 13, 2016, 12:34:56 PM »
Pot and kettle, you choose what you believe too, that is obvious from your posts!

Floo, like you I haven't seen any positive evidence for a god or gods of any kind, it's not a case of me believing there is no such thing as a god.

ippy
« Last Edit: June 13, 2016, 12:47:27 PM by ippy »

ippy

« Reply #285 on: June 13, 2016, 12:46:09 PM »

OK Sass, start at the beginning, show us all that this bible of yours is actually conveying the word of this god thing you're always on about starting with verifiable proof that it is in fact conveying the word of god.

Oh by the way I have never seen any verifiable evidence that would prove that a god or gods exist, this isn't a belief, it's a fact.   

ippy

ippy

« Reply #286 on: June 14, 2016, 10:49:49 AM »
Sass your last responce to my post doesn't amount to an answer, so I'll try again: please show me any definitive evidence you have that would prove that this god of yours really does exist?

Try to put the abuse to one side Sass, perhaps save it for later, and answer the question asked; I've seen your endless scripts quoting from the bible so there's no need for any more of that lot.

Oh yes, don't forget the bible doesn't prove god and god doesn't prove the bible, you need to break the circle and perhaps the best starting point would be to prove the existance of your god without quoting from the bible.

Whether I believe in god or not has nothing to do with this question I've asked of you Sass so having a go at me doesn't amount to an answer, do try to remember this, I've asked you a question without having a go at you Sass, see if you can answer and return the compliment in a similar fashion?

ippy

Khatru

« Reply #287 on: June 14, 2016, 10:51:15 AM »

Of course you're not the only person claiming to know what the supreme cosmic mega-being wants.

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Dorothy Parker

ippy

« Reply #288 on: June 14, 2016, 03:44:01 PM »
You hoo Sass, anybody there?

ippy

Ricky Spanish

« Reply #289 on: June 17, 2016, 11:08:29 PM »

We have read the bible.

Sadly, we haven't read the one you adhere to..

You claim it is the "KJV" - I believe it is the Sass version..

Which one is it?
UNDERSTAND - I MAKE OPINIONS. IF YOUR ARGUMENTS MAKE ME QUESTION MY OPINION THEN I WILL CONSIDER THEM.

Ricky Spanish

« Reply #290 on: June 17, 2016, 11:50:11 PM »
Bollox. Fell for it again...

:(
UNDERSTAND - I MAKE OPINIONS. IF YOUR ARGUMENTS MAKE ME QUESTION MY OPINION THEN I WILL CONSIDER THEM.

Ricky Spanish

« Reply #291 on: June 18, 2016, 04:29:00 PM »
You don't know that. As I said, it depends whether you trust Daniel and the NT or the skeptics. Maybe I didn't make my thinking clear enough. I believe that Daniel's prophecy applied to 164 BC, but that Jesus foresaw the same thing happening in his generation, and that he fulfilled texts like Daniel 9:24 in a greater sense than how the Maccabees did.

What don't I know?

That the "Gospels" are anonymous?

That they were written generations/decades after "Jesus" was executed?

That they were written AFTER Pauls letters.

What don't I know?

For those who trust that Daniel (and Isaiah for that matter) is not fabricated, his prophecy and its fulfillment in the Greek empire are proof that God is real and was acting in Jewish history.

What exactly does that mean? "For those who trust that.." How about some facts instead of 'trust'.

And as for the rest of this nonsense. WTF are you chatting about? Greek Empire? You do know what an Empire is, don't you?

Jewish History; You obviously know as much about Jewish History as my left testicle.

The next step is to see how the Jews, who were given God's standard so that they could live it and show the world it, were themselves incapable of attaining it and thus unable to save themselves from being invaded and booted out of the promised land over and over again.

Oh, that Jewish History - Remind me, where did this God promise his people a land they could call their own?

There was a bigger plan all along, which was for God to rescue the Jews and all humanity from the consequences of sin, ie death itself, by coming as a man, and attaining that standard, which no man on his own could do.

Nope - I have scoured the book that Jesus.. "read"!! and can't see where you are coming from on this. Unless you count mistranslations and not being able to understand Jewish "philosophy" as a plus point!!

Seriously, are you on some sort of medication spud?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2016, 04:31:23 PM by Thrud the Barbarian »

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #292 on: June 18, 2016, 06:58:57 PM »
What don't I know?

What don't I know?
What documents are they based on?
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

ippy

« Reply #293 on: June 19, 2016, 04:22:31 PM »

Does it really matter Hope?

ippy

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #294 on: June 19, 2016, 05:41:52 PM »
Does it really matter Hope?

ippy
In the context of this discussion, yes.  In the context of your particular, individual life, probably not.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #295 on: June 19, 2016, 05:44:39 PM »
What don't I know?

What don't I know?
Bumped for Thrud's attention.

Spud

« Reply #296 on: June 20, 2016, 07:55:59 PM »
What don't I know?
You implied that the gospel writers made up Jesus to fit their ideas about prophecy. How do you know that?

floo

« Reply #297 on: June 21, 2016, 08:41:24 AM »
You implied that the gospel writers made up Jesus to fit their ideas about prophecy. How do you know that?

As the life of Jesus was written up many years after he died, it is quite likely there was plenty of exaggeration, and untruths in their accounts. There is no proof whatsoever Jesus did the fanciful things attributed to him.

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #298 on: June 21, 2016, 10:36:05 AM »
As the life of Jesus was written up many years after he died, it is quite likely there was plenty of exaggeration, and untruths in their accounts. There is no proof whatsoever Jesus did the fanciful things attributed to him.
But do you have any actual proof of this 'quite likely' scenario?  Do you even have any evidence that this was a common event in organisations like the early church that were persecuted, driven under ground, etc.?

Regarding the final sentence, there is evidence.  Its called the New Testament.  Until you can categorically prove that what is written in that material is false, you have no evidence to back that claim of yours up.  I appreciate that yopu may believe that you know better than many scholars in this particular field, especially those non-believer scholars who still regard the material as evidence.

Most scholars, whatever their belief system, believe that the gospels are based on one or more pre-existing, but no longer extant documents written before Paul's Epistles.  The best known one is called 'Q'.  Mark is often considered to have been dictated - at least in part - by Peter, thus providing a first-hand account.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:41:30 AM by Hope »

BeRational

« Reply #299 on: June 21, 2016, 10:37:38 AM »
But do you have any actual proof of this 'quite likely' scenario?  Do you even have any evidence that this was a common event in organisations like the early church that were persecuted, driven under ground, etc.?

Regarding the final sentence, there is evidence.  Its called the New Testament.  Until you can categorically prove that what is written in that material is false, you have no evidence to back that claim of yours up.  I appreciate that yopu may believe that you know better than many scholars in this particular field, especially those non-believer scholars who still regard the material as evidence.

NPF yet again!
I see gullible people, everywhere!