Author Topic: Read this and wait for the whatnot to hit the fan!  (Read 9994 times)

Owlswing

Read this and wait for the whatnot to hit the fan!
« on: May 24, 2016, 07:05:58 PM »

Far away in the tropical waters of the Coral Sea, two prawns were swimming/walking/crawling around - one was called Justin and the other was called Christian.

The prawns were constantly being harassed and threatened by sharks that inhabited the area and one day Justin said to Christian, "I'm fed up with being a prawn; I wish I was a shark, and then I wouldn't have any worries about being eaten"

A large mysterious cod appeared and said, "Your wish is granted"

Lo and behold, Justin turned into a shark.

Horrified, Christian immediately shot away, afraid of being eaten by his old mate

Time passed (as it does) and Justin found life as a shark boring and lonely. All his old mates simply ran away whenever he came close to them. Justin didn't realise that his new menacing appearance was the cause of his sad plight

While swimming alone one day he saw the mysterious cod again and he thought perhaps the mysterious fish could change him back into a prawn. He approached the cod and begged to be changed back, and, lo and behold, he found himself turned back into a prawn.

With tears of joy in his tiny little eyes Justin swam back to his friends and bought them all a cocktail (the punch line does not involve a prawn cocktail - it's much worse).

Looking around the gathering at the reef he realized he couldn't see his old pal.

"Where's Christian?" he asked.

"He's at home, still distraught that his best friend changed sides to the enemy and became a shark", came the reply

Eager to put things right again and end the mutual pain and torture, he set off to Christians' abode and, as he opened the coral gate, memories came flooding back.

He banged on the door and shouted, "It's me, Justin , your old friend, come out and see me again!"

Christian replied, "No way man, you'll eat me. You're now a shark, the enemy, and I'll not be tricked into being your dinner."

Justin cried back "No, I'm not. That was the old me. I've changed. I've found Cod. I'm a Prawn again Christian"
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: Read this and wait for the whatnot to hit the fan!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »
I think the whatnot hit the fan in your opening post, Owl   ;)
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 09:27:47 PM »
Far away in the tropical waters of the Coral Sea, two prawns were swimming/walking/crawling around - one was called Justin and the other was called Christian.

The prawns were constantly being harassed and threatened by sharks that inhabited the area and one day Justin said to Christian, "I'm fed up with being a prawn; I wish I was a shark, and then I wouldn't have any worries about being eaten"

A large mysterious cod appeared and said, "Your wish is granted"

Lo and behold, Justin turned into a shark.

Horrified, Christian immediately shot away, afraid of being eaten by his old mate

Time passed (as it does) and Justin found life as a shark boring and lonely. All his old mates simply ran away whenever he came close to them. Justin didn't realise that his new menacing appearance was the cause of his sad plight

While swimming alone one day he saw the mysterious cod again and he thought perhaps the mysterious fish could change him back into a prawn. He approached the cod and begged to be changed back, and, lo and behold, he found himself turned back into a prawn.

With tears of joy in his tiny little eyes Justin swam back to his friends and bought them all a cocktail (the punch line does not involve a prawn cocktail - it's much worse).

Looking around the gathering at the reef he realized he couldn't see his old pal.

"Where's Christian?" he asked.

"He's at home, still distraught that his best friend changed sides to the enemy and became a shark", came the reply

Eager to put things right again and end the mutual pain and torture, he set off to Christians' abode and, as he opened the coral gate, memories came flooding back.

He banged on the door and shouted, "It's me, Justin , your old friend, come out and see me again!"

Christian replied, "No way man, you'll eat me. You're now a shark, the enemy, and I'll not be tricked into being your dinner."

Justin cried back "No, I'm not. That was the old me. I've changed. I've found Cod. I'm a Prawn again Christian"
I think you've earned your plaice in the Comic pantheon.
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

Owlswing

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 09:53:01 PM »

I think the whatnot hit the fan in your opening post, Owl   ;)

No - you threw the whatnot AT my opening post! Exactly as I expected you to.

You see, that is one of the major diferences between pagans and Christians, is that we can laugh at ourselves even when the joke is on us!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 09:58:38 PM »
No - you threw the whatnot AT my opening post! Exactly as I expected you to.

You see, that is one of the major diferences between pagans and Christians, is that we can laugh at ourselves even when the joke is on us!
Yeah that Desmond Tutu needs to take the stick out his butt. And Gonnagle, yep let's gratuitously claim to be better than him.

Really is a shiny shiny mirror, your post.

Owlswing

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 10:06:07 PM »
Yeah that Desmond Tutu needs to take the stick out his butt. And Gonnagle, yep let's gratuitously claim to be better than him.

Really is a shiny shiny mirror, your post.

What?!!!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 10:11:59 PM »
What?!!!
There is Irony (shiny shiny mirror) in you using a lazy generalisation about pagans and Christians to make some comment about Christians being in some way not as good as pagans.

Owlswing

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 10:25:32 PM »
There is Irony (shiny shiny mirror) in you using a lazy generalisation about pagans and Christians to make some comment about Christians being in some way not as good as pagans.

It is not a question of "Good" or "Bad"; it is a question of the fact that Christians seem to be unable to see that some things relating to their religion are funny - this joke, which is a truly glorious pun, for instance. Pagans find it very easy to laugh at jokes about their religion - especially when someone actually comes up with a new one.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 10:31:07 PM »
It is not a question of "Good" or "Bad"; it is a question of the fact that Christians seem to be unable to see that some things relating to their religion are funny - this joke, which is a truly glorious pun, for instance. Pagans find it very easy to laugh at jokes about their religion - especially when someone actually comes up with a new one.
And you think one way in your lazy generalisation is better than the other. Personally I find pagans, Christians, other theists and atheists about the same in their ability to laugh at themselves. This thread is making the case that you are wrong about your estimate of pagans

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 10:33:13 PM »

No I think that very much depends on the Christians involved. Partners family have a standing joke about their late Mother kissing the Bishops ring.

The point NS is making (I think) is never tar everyone with the same brush.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Owlswing

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 10:41:09 PM »

No I think that very much depends on the Christians involved. Partners family have a standing joke about their late Mother kissing the Bishops ring.

The point NS is making (I think) is never tar everyone with the same brush.

I wa not, and am not, trying to do any such thing! But I did know that I would get at least one negative comment from one specific direction (direction NOT person!). And I wasn't wrong!

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 10:48:27 PM »
I wa not, and am not, trying to do any such thing! But I did know that I would get at least one negative comment from one specific direction (direction NOT person!). And I wasn't wrong!
which is called poisoning the well.

You have made a lazy generalisation on the thread about pagans being able to laugh at themselves while Christians are not. You clearly believe the pastiche of pagans you presented to be better. That you have attempted to poison the we by suggesting that if you get argued against, it just proves your point is both incorrect and disproved by the fact that the people arguing against you are not Christians.

I have no idea why you are indulging in these rather cheap tactics.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 10:49:15 PM »
Anyhoo night night all

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 10:52:40 PM »
Nighty, nighty.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Owlswing

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2016, 11:09:50 PM »
which is called poisoning the well.

You have made a lazy generalisation on the thread about pagans being able to laugh at themselves while Christians are not. You clearly believe the pastiche of pagans you presented to be better. That you have attempted to poison the we by suggesting that if you get argued against, it just proves your point is both incorrect and disproved by the fact that the people arguing against you are not Christians.

I have no idea why you are indulging in these rather cheap tactics.

I suppose that you have never ever posted anything that was considered questionable! I'll keep my imperfections and my sense of humour thanks. It might not be the best in the world but it has kept me out of 'hospital'.

If you can come up with a joke against pagans - bring it on!

Maeght

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 06:31:22 AM »
It wasn't a joke about Christians was it though - just a play on words. In what way did it make a joke of Christianity or Christians? I think the only reason you got any negative reaction to it was because of the thread title not the joke.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 08:05:01 AM »
Maeght

It was nothing to do with the joke - which I found very funny. It was to do with this statement:

I don't accept that at all - some Christians may not be able to laugh at their religion but I would suggest there are a greater number who do see the funny side of things relating to Christianity. It was the blanket generalisation.

I'm sure every Pagan is possessed of an excellent sense of humour and would never object to their religion being made fun of. ::)

Bubbles

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 08:08:44 AM »
It's just a joke guys!

Most jokes poke fun at someone.

🌹

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 08:26:47 AM »
It's just a joke guys!

Most jokes poke fun at someone.

Please read my previous post - its not about the joke.

Owlswing

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 08:37:17 AM »

Then it bloody weel should be! You have proved the accuracy of my thread title! It is sometimes quite empoowering toi find just how thin-skinned some people, particularly the fanatical fundamentalists of any religion, really are.

It is a joke! Get it!

It is a PUN! Nothing more!

floo

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 08:39:27 AM »
Extremist Christians, of which we sadly have a couple on this forum, are an unpleasant joke!

Owlswing

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 08:46:13 AM »

Extremist Christians, of which we sadly have a couple on this forum, are an unpleasant joke!

No comment required!

They are quite happy to takr the piss out of Paganism and Atheism but don't, whatever you do, take the piss out of them! Which if you read above this Joke was NOT doing!

You want a joke that is about Chritianity?

What is the difference between acne and a priest?

At least acne has the manners to wait until you are fifteen to come on your face!

What is an Irish exorcism?

A mother calling in the Devil, to get the priest out of her son!

OK? Now they have something to complain about!

Bubbles

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 09:45:48 AM »

Some Christians do seem to feel that the humour is a little unbalanced here, that joke and mock Christianity is considered fine , but that such treatment of Pagans is a banable offence

Is that what you mean?

That it's not dealt with with an even hand ?

Owlswing

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 09:49:46 AM »
Some Christians do seem to feel that the humour is a little unbalanced here, that joke and mock Christianity is considered fine , but that such treatment of Pagans is a banable offence

Is that what you mean?

That it's not dealt with with an even hand ?

Why is it banable?

There are only three pagans (that I know of) on this forum and I really cannot see either of the other two trying get a joke about Pagans banned! I certainly would not - please see my comments above!

Old Army/Navy/Air Force joke - If you can't take a joke you shouldn't have joined!

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 09:52:21 AM »
Then it bloody weel should be! You have proved the accuracy of my thread title! It is sometimes quite empoowering toi find just how thin-skinned some people, particularly the fanatical fundamentalists of any religion, really are.

It is a joke! Get it!

It is a PUN! Nothing more!

I always got the joke - I didn't get your judgemental attitude to Christians as highlighted above.

Could you please try to read for comprehension or are you trying to emulate Sassy's style of posting?

And for your information I'm an atheist - and a fairly laid back one at that (not an antitheist) not a fanatical fundamentalist.

If you aren't prepared to address the point of your blanket judgement of Christians I'll leave it at that. The criticism was never about the joke. Got it yet?