Author Topic: drifting away from this forum  (Read 2482 times)

Samuel

• geology rocks
drifting away from this forum
« on: July 28, 2016, 01:54:42 PM »
It occurred to me that I am coming here less and less these days. I don't reply to posts or start new threads much at all. I'm drifting away. This makes me sad because I've spent the last ten years in the company of many of you fine folk, on this forum and on the old BBC boards.

So, I thought I should write something to mark the process. Not a goodbye. I would just seem a great shame to simply disappear from a community that has given me so much. I have felt inspired, frustrated, disappointed, moved and enriched by the conversations I have participated in or observed. I'm sure many of you feel the same. And to the old question 'do our debates ever really change someone's mind' for my part the answer is an emphatic 'yes'. I feel altogether expanded by my time here.

now though... its like overhearing old and dear friends talking in a pub. I only popped in to get directions.

see you all again

or maybe not

:)
A lot of people don't believe that the loch ness monster exists. Now, I don't know anything about zooology, biology, geology, herpetology, evolutionary theory, evolutionary biology, marine biology, cryptozoology, palaeontology or archaeology... but I think... what if a dinosaur got into the lake?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: drifting away from this forum
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2016, 02:00:13 PM »
You will be missed. I have a fear that this and some other message boards are the CDs of web communication

SusanDoris

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 02:02:57 PM »
I know just what you mean, but the thing is, you know, you might just miss something really interesting if you didn't drop in every, or nearly every, day. :)
There is another forum I go to where I'm finding something similar, but after months of not finding anything that interested me, I found a new topic this week which is proving to be most interesting.*

*An archaeological find of a mammoth tusk with holes in, possibly a rope-making tool.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

wigginhall

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 03:22:25 PM »
Quite sad to hear, Samuel, but probably a natural process.   I don't know whether forums have a rise and fall, but maybe they do.   I used to be on the R Dawkins forum, which had 60, 000 members, or something like that, but then one day it ended. 

I think I started on the BBC forum about 2008, and it seemed terrific, full of interesting people, strange people, interesting ideas, strange ideas, anyway, it has sort of faded.   Maybe it's partly sheer repetition - how many times can you discuss objective morality, or creationism?

Think of it like marriage, Samuel, in the beginning it's all excitement and bedroom action of a high calibre, and then later, it's friendship and falling asleep in front of the telly. 

They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 04:30:23 PM »
Not leaving xbox live as well I  hope!?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 05:11:44 PM »
Hi Samuel

You wouldn't be the first person to have drifted off, and I doubt you'll be the last.  Like others, I'll miss your input.  I trust that you will find a comparable place to share your thoughts.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Gonnagle

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 01:03:57 PM »
Dear Samuel,

Going old son, shame, just to say, thank you for Forum Best Bits, a wonderful addition to our little forum, I hope you keep an eye on us and hopefully a post or thread will bring you rushing back to our little community which you are, and you are!! part of. ;) ;)

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

Trentvoyager

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 02:05:52 PM »
Hooray - Samuel has drifted back to us - at least for awhile.
The unfamiliar is not the same as the improbable.