Author Topic: AN opportunity for the religious to provide their evidence  (Read 79017 times)

Walter

AN opportunity for the religious to provide their evidence
« on: October 30, 2016, 03:21:02 PM »
 give us a chance to evaluate your claims once and for all, we might even get some converts.

off you go..

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: AN opportunity for the religious to provide their evidence
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 03:43:09 PM »
Sorry Walter, but this same ploy has been tried before and proved fruitless as no-one on your side of the debate was willing to treat evidence provide with any honesty.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Walter

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 03:50:15 PM »
Hope
what debate are you referring to?

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 03:53:43 PM »
Hope
what debate are you referring to?
we have had 3 or 4 similar threads on this board over the years, and - as I said - on none of them did any of those on your side of the debate referred to in your thread title even attempt to answer any of the evidence.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

ippy

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2016, 04:06:45 PM »
we have had 3 or 4 similar threads on this board over the years, and - as I said - on none of them did any of those on your side of the debate referred to in your thread title even attempt to answer any of the evidence.

Hope, If anyone on your, so called, side of this non argument did come up with totally credible evidence, the world would be saying things like; "do you remember the days when we had atheists"?

Instead of the way things are actually going; "do you remember the days when we had god believers"?

ippy

Walter

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2016, 04:12:29 PM »

THERE IS NO DEBATE why do you keep using that term . Do you think it gives you some kind of credibility or something.

If so produce your credible evidence. Its so simple.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 04:25:10 PM »
Sorry Walter, but this same ploy has been tried before and proved fruitless as no-one on your side of the debate was willing to treat evidence provide with any honesty.

So we are liars when we point out where evidence claims, which as I recall you most often cite as being made elsewhere and not here and where you seem reluctant to post them here, turn out to be spurious in one way or another?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 04:36:21 PM by Gordon »

Walter

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 04:48:09 PM »
OKAY. its a bit naughty of me to start this thread because we both know you have nothing and nobody likes being ridiculed.
But if you have the conviction of your faith, give it a go.

Owlswing

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 05:01:53 PM »

OKAY. its a bit naughty of me to start this thread because we both know you have nothing and nobody likes being ridiculed.
But if you have the conviction of your faith, give it a go.

The only "evidence" that Hope and the rest of the hopeless crowd of Christians has offered so far is, one, the Bible, and two, an interminable string of fallacious argument and blind assertions!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

floo

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 05:04:09 PM »

That is because there is no evidence which can be substantiated

Walter

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2016, 05:09:21 PM »
The only "evidence" that Hope and the rest of the hopeless crowd of Christians has offered so far is, one, the Bible, and two, an interminable string of fallacious argument and blind assertions!

yep, you'd think they'd be clamouring at the chance. 

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 05:23:40 PM »
we might even get some converts.
No, you won't. I'll save you wasting your time.

Hebrews 11 v 6: And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Which you would probably call a confirmation bias among other things, perhaps.

If you are really interested, here is the best visual demonstration of faith I've seen. It's Indy's third trial in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Watch from about 3:16 in. What is unseen becomes seen when the step of faith is taken.

I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 05:33:47 PM »
No, you won't. I'll save you wasting your time.

Hebrews 11 v 6: And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

I'll raise your confirmation bias with an argument from authority.

If you are really interested, here is the best visual demonstration of faith I've seen. It's Indy's third trial in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Watch from about 3:16 in. What is unseen becomes seen when the step of faith is taken.

Congratulations: you may have invented the fallacy of 'in the movies the hero tends to survive all or most of the film by being told the plot first which is a confirmation of faith'. Do you realise how utterly silly your 'argument from Indy' actually is?

SusanDoris

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 05:36:54 PM »
I'll raise your confirmation bias with an argument from authority.

Congratulations: you may have invented the fallacy of 'in the movies the hero tends to survive all or most of the film by being told the plot first which is a confirmation of faith'. Do you realise how utterly silly your 'argument from Indy' actually is?
Thank you, Gordon, that really made me laugh!! :D :D
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2016, 05:41:15 PM »
Faith is something in which one believes without the necessarity of proof.

torridon

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2016, 05:47:15 PM »

I'd call it circular reasoning.

torridon

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2016, 05:49:05 PM »

So you'd be advising people to step off high ledges into thin air on the basis of a piece of Hollywood fantasy  :o

Walter

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2016, 05:55:30 PM »
SOTS

so your best shot at evidence is to refer me to another fictional character in a Hollywood fantasy film and quotes from a book which is in dispute.

you're having a laugh aren't you ? :)

Walter

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2016, 05:57:49 PM »
Faith is something in which one believes without the necessarity of proof.

I'm aware of the definition, thanks anyway.

Walter

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2016, 06:08:44 PM »
sorry about this

can somebody tell me how I quote just a sentence rather than the whole of someone else's post

it would be very helpful ,thank you.

SusanDoris

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2016, 06:13:33 PM »
sorry about this

can somebody tell me how I quote just a sentence rather than the whole of someone else's post

it would be very helpful ,thank you.
What I do is to click on quote and then delete the stuff I don't want!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Walter

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2016, 06:31:48 PM »
thanks SD

any one else?

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2016, 06:36:08 PM »
 Left Click and hold it down in front of the first word in the passage and then drag along to highlight the part you want. Then right click and copy and then paste into your post.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Walter

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2016, 06:41:06 PM »

Then right click and copy and then paste into your post.

yes it works thanks

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2016, 06:53:05 PM »
Then right click and copy and then paste into your post.

yes it works thanks

And if you want the words to appear in a box click on the Quote icon above the screen and this appears [ quote ]  [ / quote ] and simply paste between the 2 "quotes"

And if you want the words to appear in a box click on the Quote icon above the screen and this appears [ quote ]  [ / quote ] and simply paste between the 2 "quotes"
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 06:55:22 PM by Trentvoyager »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.