Author Topic: Mind expansion  (Read 4909 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Mind expansion
« on: January 06, 2017, 08:54:53 AM »

Outrider

Re: Mind expansion
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 09:01:15 AM »
Article doesn't quite make case for headline shock!

https://qz.com/866352/scientists-say-your-mind-isnt-confined-to-your-brain-or-even-your-body/

It might be a scientist that's saying it, but having read it he's not putting forward a scientific finding or theory, more a philosophical point of view.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 09:14:06 AM »
It might be a scientist that's saying it, but having read it he's not putting forward a scientific finding or theory, more a philosophical point of view.

O.

Yes, that's the point about it not live ng up to the headline. There's a bit of handwaving about maths, but the detail is mainly waffle.

SusanDoris

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 11:29:21 AM »
However people might think of the brain/mind, it is all contained in the material inside the skull! It might vary in shape and weight according to health and age, but as I understand it, it can't be expanded beyond the skull, can it?! We can add more information which forms more synapses and links, but most of the 'expanding the mind' or going to 'higher levels' is, I think, pseudo-science.
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 11:38:45 AM »
However people might think of the brain/mind, it is all contained in the material inside the skull! It might vary in shape and weight according to health and age, but as I understand it, it can't be expanded beyond the skull, can it?! We can add more information which forms more synapses and links, but most of the 'expanding the mind' or going to 'higher levels' is, I think, pseudo-science.

I was using the title as a pun but I think that current thinking is that the exact idea of mind as in what controls behaviour in some form of decision making process may be wider than brain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18779997

That said, I think the article in the OP doesn't make the case for it extending beyond the body.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 12:36:42 PM »
Article doesn't quite make case for headline shock!

https://qz.com/866352/scientists-say-your-mind-isnt-confined-to-your-brain-or-even-your-body/

Given the obsession of scientists with material measurement and mathematical proof,  it is unlikely that any clinching proof  will be forthcoming soon. But I am glad that at least some scientists are making an effort to break the rather mundane and shallow idea of the Mind that is currently prevalent in scientific circles. 

Meanwhile, it is obvious to most people in the world that the mind is much more than the brain and that the brain is only used as a platform, the way a computer hardware or a TV receiver is used.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 12:39:59 PM »

Given the obsession of scientists with material measurement and mathematical proof,  it is unlikely that any clinching proof  will be forthcoming soon. But I am glad that at least some scientists are making an effort to break the rather mundane and shallow idea of the Mind that is currently prevalent in scientific circles. 

Meanwhile, it is obvious to most people in the world that the mind is much more than the brain and that the brain is only used as a platform, the way a computer hardware or a TV receiver is used.

Argumentum ad populum fallacy

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 12:54:09 PM »
Argumentum ad populum fallacy

You science guys have conjured up so many 'fallacies' as part of your defense strategy that you could smugly throw one of them at anyone who opens his mouth to argue a point and immediately make him shut up!  No questions asked. :D 

Have fun!

Shaker

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 12:58:00 PM »
You science guys have conjured up so many 'fallacies' as part of your defense strategy that you could smugly throw one of them at anyone who opens his mouth to argue a point and immediately make him shut up!  No questions asked. :D
Logicians and philosophers rather than "science guys", with whom you're clearly obsessed.

A fallacy is an example of invalid logic - poor reasoning - bad thinking. No wonder you're complaining. Nevertheless, it's a mark of maturity to acknowledge when you're in the wrong, suck it up and get on with reasoning more clearly next time.

Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 12:59:56 PM »

Have fun!
Fallacies are not something derived from science. I note you indulge in your usual personal attacks when unable to deal with points. You need to stop personalising discussing.

Anyway the fallacy applies here because what most people might think isn't a way to get to what is correct.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 01:14:11 PM »
Fallacies are not something derived from science. I note you indulge in your usual personal attacks when unable to deal with points. You need to stop personalising discussing.

Anyway the fallacy applies here because what most people might think isn't a way to get to what is correct.

I said it is obvious to most people. Which is true!  Whether any scientist concurs with it or not is of no consequence at all.

And I suppose according to the 'fallacy' you named, till some scientist guy takes the final decision and waves a green flag...the observation cannot be considered as correct! Nice!

Outrider

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 01:17:32 PM »

Why is mundane a problem? Whilst elaborate, earth-shattering discoveries are lovely, the progress of humanity has primarily been in incremental steps. Why is following the evidence 'shallow'? Depth is only celebratory when it's justified - an unsupported deep claim is just as invalid as an unjustified shallow one.

Things that are obvious to many people often turn out to be not true. It might be obvious to many people that the mind is more than the brain (in the sense you mean), but if their opinion is based on a licked-finger held in the air during the break in Jeremy Kyle, I'm not too inclined to consider that opinion any more or less than anyone else's.

The mind is not 'the brain', but rather part of the pattern of activity within a brain: to use your computer analogy, it's not the computer hardware, but rather the programme that's being run on the hardware.

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 01:18:25 PM »

I said it is obvious to most people. Which is true!  Whether any scientist concurs with it or not is of no consequence at all.

And I suppose according to the 'fallacy' you named, till some scientist guy takes the final decision and waves a green flag...the observation cannot be considered as correct! Nice!

And that it might be obvious to most people has no impact on it's truth. Hence when mist people though the whole universe revolved around a static earth, it didn't make it true.

Further even if a scientist 'guy' comes along with a green flag, or a whole set of flags, it won't mean that it is true either since science us provisional and not a claim to truth.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 01:33:03 PM by Nearly Sane »

Outrider

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2017, 01:18:33 PM »
Given the obsession of scientists with material measurement and mathematical proof,  it is unlikely that any clinching proof  will be forthcoming soon.

Damn them and their generally successful dependency on evidence and justifying their assumptions!!!

O.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2017, 01:36:39 PM »
Damn them and their generally successful dependency on evidence and justifying their assumptions!!!

O.

No....its not about reasoning, asking questions, looking for evidence etc. that I have any objection to.  Many debates are encouraged even in spiritual matters. The Upanishads are full of them.

It is the rigidity, the closed perception of reality and the effort to somehow push all life experiences into the small world that science has managed to discover....that is the problem.  We understand electricity and magnetism.....so everything should be explained only through electricity and magnetism....period!! This kind of narrow perception is what limits our understanding of life.

Just as religious people had their own set of rules and 'logic' to decide what is true and what is not...so now scientists have their own set of rules and 'logic' to decide what is true and what is not. Just as the former were not correct....so also the latter need not be correct either. They could be just as restrictive and narrow as the former.

Shaker

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 01:43:57 PM »
It is the rigidity, the closed perception of reality and the effort to somehow push all life experiences into the small world that science has managed to discover....that is the problem.
And yet it is science which has revealed just how immense and complex the world actually is.

Tell me: do you have to work at being this wrong or does it come naturally?

We understand electricity and magnetism.....so everything should be explained only through electricity and magnetism....period!! This kind of narrow perception is what limits our understanding of life.
Magnetism isn't that well understood at all

Just as religious people had their own set of rules and 'logic' to decide what is true and what is not...so now scientists have their own set of rules and 'logic' to decide what is true and what is not. Just as the former were not correct....so also the latter need not be correct either. They could be just as restrictive and narrow as the former.
Unfortunately for the religous people you refer to, because they have no methodology for evaluating any claim about the world they have no means of distinguishing truth from falsity, no way of sorting the former from the latter.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Outrider

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 02:03:17 PM »
No....its not about reasoning, asking questions, looking for evidence etc. that I have any objection to.  Many debates are encouraged even in spiritual matters. The Upanishads are full of them.

It is the rigidity, the closed perception of reality and the effort to somehow push all life experiences into the small world that science has managed to discover....that is the problem.  We understand electricity and magnetism.....so everything should be explained only through electricity and magnetism....period!! This kind of narrow perception is what limits our understanding of life.

I think you're failing to see where the evidence bit kicks in. It's not that scientists reduce things to just electricity and magnetism (there's gravity, strong and weak nuclear forces as well, at least for now). The problem you appear to have with science isn't that it tries to reduce what you want to talk about, it's that it finds no evidence for what you want to talk about. All the 'spiritual' and 'soul' and 'chakra' and 'higher levels of consciousness' don't have any evidence that they exist to be studied. If that were there, and it devolved to something that wasn't one of the (current) four fundamental forces, the scientific community would have a collective orgasm over it.

Just as religious people had their own set of rules and 'logic' to decide what is true and what is not...

Well, no, they didn't, they had (and have) an increasingly complex suite of navel-gazings to justify continued claims for which there is no ultimate foundation.

so now scientists have their own set of rules and 'logic' to decide what is true and what is not.

No, scientists have rules for how to define and explain what can be detected - if it can't be detected, science justifiably asks 'what makes you think this exists'?

Just as the former were not correct....so also the latter need not be correct either. They could be just as restrictive and narrow as the former.

They could be, but science follows the evidence. If you have no evidence for science to investigate, how do you tell you have anything at all?

O.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 02:20:29 PM »
I think you're failing to see where the evidence bit kicks in. It's not that scientists reduce things to just electricity and magnetism (there's gravity, strong and weak nuclear forces as well, at least for now). The problem you appear to have with science isn't that it tries to reduce what you want to talk about, it's that it finds no evidence for what you want to talk about. All the 'spiritual' and 'soul' and 'chakra' and 'higher levels of consciousness' don't have any evidence that they exist to be studied. If that were there, and it devolved to something that wasn't one of the (current) four fundamental forces, the scientific community would have a collective orgasm over it.

O.

I said 'electricity and magnetism' only as examples.   

You say...' don't have any evidence that they exist to be studied'. How do you know? 

By using the same standard methods even where they are not applicable?! 

This is why I keep using the microscope analogy. You cannot keep using the same old tools to examine widely different phenomena and keep concluding that 'they don't exist'!! That is blatantly wrong!

Outrider

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 02:37:51 PM »

Fair enough.

You say...' don't have any evidence that they exist to be studied'. How do you know?

Because if there's no effect, what evidence could there possibly be?

This is why I keep using the microscope analogy. You cannot keep using the same old tools to examine widely different phenomena and keep concluding that 'they don't exist'!! That is blatantly wrong!

Which is fine, in and of itself, but you aren't offering a reliable methodology as an alternative. You're offering 'but I feel that...' as a credible and equally valid alternative to rigorous, peer-reviewed, evidence-based findings, and that's not going to wash. Science doesn't discount the possibility of other systems, per se, but you actually have to demonstrate the validity of your system.

You keep suggesting that there are situations where science isn't applicable, but what are those situations? Ethics? Justice? I'm not aware the science cuts in on those.

The existence of souls, reincarnation, chakras, energy lines... those are claims about the physical world, science is perfectly at liberty to investigate those claims and point out, in the absence of evidence, that there's no evidence for them. If you have another methodology lay it out for the world.

O.

SusanDoris

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 02:44:53 PM »

That really is a very arrogant remark. Where are your facts and statistics to back up this dream world? The answer to that of course is nowhere.

And]
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Walter

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 02:51:02 PM »

OH! FFS is all can contribute here

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 02:59:05 PM »
Fair enough.

Because if there's no effect, what evidence could there possibly be?

Which is fine, in and of itself, but you aren't offering a reliable methodology as an alternative. You're offering 'but I feel that...' as a credible and equally valid alternative to rigorous, peer-reviewed, evidence-based findings, and that's not going to wash. Science doesn't discount the possibility of other systems, per se, but you actually have to demonstrate the validity of your system.

You keep suggesting that there are situations where science isn't applicable, but what are those situations? Ethics? Justice? I'm not aware the science cuts in on those.

The existence of souls, reincarnation, chakras, energy lines... those are claims about the physical world, science is perfectly at liberty to investigate those claims and point out, in the absence of evidence, that there's no evidence for them. If you have another methodology lay it out for the world.

O.

No....I don't have any methodology on a platter. I have discussed this many times.

Methodologies evolve and develop over decades and centuries. The current methodologies did not come about in a day because of one person.  Similarly the methodologies to investigate such things as spirit, after-life etc will also not happen in a day.

But if methodologies have to develop, they have to be focused on for a start. Assuming that such phenomena don't exist and therefore such new methodologies are not necessary....is not the way forward.

Outrider

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 03:11:45 PM »
No....I don't have any methodology on a platter. I have discussed this many times.

Then, in the absence of any methodology, any means by which claims which have no evidence of events which leave no trace and are indistinguishable from events that didn't happen, how are we to determine whether there's anything there?

Methodologies evolve and develop over decades and centuries. The current methodologies did not come about in a day because of one person.  Similarly the methodologies to investigate such things as spirit, after-life etc will also not happen in a day.

But if methodologies have to develop, they have to be focused on for a start. Assuming that such phenomena don't exist and therefore such new methodologies are not necessary....is not the way forward.

Methodologies might start off imperfectly, certainly, but they have something to start from. The current range of sciences started off as 'natural philosophy' or somesuch, and evolved over time, but they were a gradually refined set of 'rules' for looking at things, trying eliminate preconceptions and biases and the like, and ending up with a system. An imperfect system, but a useful system nonetheless.

Even the basis for a methodology would be a start, otherwise all you have is unsubstantiated claims, and you don't need science to dismiss those, they can be dismissed on the same basis as they were claimed - absolutely nothing at all.

O.
[/quote]

Shaker

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »
The problem you appear to have with science isn't that it tries to reduce what you want to talk about, it's that it finds no evidence for what you want to talk about.
And that, mon brave, is it in a nutshell.

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 05:21:39 PM »
And that, mon brave, is it in a nutshell.
Even if there is some value in the concepts he wants to talk about, ideas - "beyond the scope, methods and tools of science", why the heck does he want scientists to drop their work, understanding and improving our material existence, and start investigating these phantasms instead?

Isn't that a job for shamans and poets?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now