Author Topic: Universalism  (Read 25819 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
Universalism
« on: January 15, 2017, 07:26:13 AM »
Are we like rowing boats frantically trying to bail out the rising water of God and failing or will we be successful and stop the leak?
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

floo

Re: Universalism
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 08:17:43 AM »
Are we like rowing boats frantically trying to bail out the rising water of God and failing or will we be successful and stop the leak?

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh?

Walter

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »

actually ,I'm a little tea pot .

Rhiannon

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 09:40:58 AM »
Vlad, universalism is an interesting subject to discuss.

What on earth is your OP about though?

Shaker

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 09:42:28 AM »
It's the Vlad Random Word Generator running at full steam again.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 10:54:19 AM »
It's the Vlad Random Word Generator running at full steam again.
What?

People quote me........are you suggesting their stupid?
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

Shaker

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 10:54:55 AM »
*cough*  :D
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2017, 10:55:05 AM »
What?

Priceless.

Shaker

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 10:55:41 AM »
Second laugh out loud of the day.

ippy

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 11:00:21 AM »
Vlad use modify and have another try.

Ippy

Shaker

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 11:01:04 AM »
Anybody want to kick off a discussion about the alleged thread topic, to wit, universalism?

Or shall we carry on pondering about spoons and camels and other random shit?

Rhiannon

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2017, 11:08:09 AM »
Ok.

If God is all loving and all merciful then salvation has to be universal - it's not logical to believe that such a God could behave differently.

Yet scripture flatly contradicts this and universalists go with 'feelings' about God rather than 'facts' in the Bible (I know, I've been one).

As an aside, no other debate I've ever had has been so venomous as that I once had with a group of Christians on another forum years ago when I stated that I was a universalist. In the end I was told I wasn't welcome there.

Shaker

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2017, 11:13:11 AM »
Ok.

If God is all loving and all merciful then salvation has to be universal - it's not logical to believe that such a God could behave differently.

Yet scripture flatly contradicts this and universalists go with 'feelings' about God rather than 'facts' in the Bible (I know, I've been one).
Hm. Does it though? I was reading around the subject not ever so long ago (I was researching something about the Quakers, I think, and followed a link to a link to a link to a link ... as you do) and the universalists think they have scriptural support for their position - they can and do dial up all the appropriate verses.

Perhaps the simple if rather dully predictable truth is that scripture contradicts itself and contradicts the contradictions all over the shop. Sloppy work for omnipotence, as I always say.

As an aside, no other debate I've ever had has been so venomous as that I once had with a group of Christians on another forum years ago when I stated that I was a universalist. In the end I was told I wasn't welcome there.
That's all-embracing love and charity for you.

Rhiannon

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2017, 11:16:39 AM »
It's hard to justify scripturally. You can infer it and read it into certain passages. But Jesus is (apparently) pretty explicit about us being sheep and goats.

floo

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 11:28:04 AM »
What?

Like as if anyone would dream of suggesting such a thing! ;D ;D ;D

Shaker

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 11:32:45 AM »
It's hard to justify scripturally. You can infer it and read it into certain passages. But Jesus is (apparently) pretty explicit about us being sheep and goats.
Indeed. And as somebody once put it, "A God all mercy is a God unjust."

Can't see the chain of logic there, but no doubt that's just me.

Rhiannon

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 11:35:14 AM »

As a species we like to think of other people getting theirs. God is made in our image.

Shaker

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »
As a species we like to think of other people getting theirs.

I know a big fancy-pants term for that!
God is made in our image.
Aye. You'd think we could have aimed a little higher, wouldn't you.

Walter

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 11:43:57 AM »

Rhiannon
Rhiannon, I'm interested to know what caused the change, if you don't mind

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2017, 11:44:37 AM »

though a god that believes in eternal punishment for something is also unjust.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 11:49:51 AM by Nearly Sane »

Shaker

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2017, 11:56:46 AM »
Exactly, for then punishment ceases to have any correctional function and becomes merely sadism - torture for its own sake.

Walter

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2017, 12:01:59 PM »
does that mean both good and bad people live for eternity ?

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2017, 12:09:34 PM »
Ok.

I disagree since love would allow a final parting of the ways surely.

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2017, 12:13:51 PM »
Ok.

...and what are you guys trying to tell me on this board?

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2017, 02:03:03 PM »

Salvation is indeed offered to everyone.  And it is logical that in order to receive what is offered, you need to accept God's love and mercy.  God has given us the gift of free will in order that we can freely accept His love and forgiveness.  It is not logical for those who reject God's love and mercy to receive His gift of salvation.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton