Author Topic: A Jewish woman is still regarded as unclean when she has her period!  (Read 3308 times)

Roses

I have just been reading that Jewish women are expected to take a ritual bath each month after menstruating! It is a crazy sexist belief, which should have been buried in the mist of time! 
“What seems like a good idea at the time, more often than not bites the dust spectacularly” RJG

Robbie

Re: A Jewish woman is still regarded as unclean when she has her period!
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 06:27:46 PM »
It's called the Mikveh (hope I've spelled that right). They also have the Mikveh a little while after giving birth and after having sexual intercourse for the first time, possibly before and after.  It's not quite as you have interpreted it, LR, nothing to do with being 'dirty', it's a ritual. Jewish girls love reaching the age to have Mikveh, it means a great deal. To be honest I think I would like it. There's more to it than meets the eye. Boys and men do too, different circumstances of course.

If you look on a Chassidic site (Chabad.org), you will find more info, LR  It's very, very interesting. I think Owl is the only person with some Jewish ethnicity on here but he might not know much about the women's rituals (& it might not be him, sorry if I'm confusing him with someone else).

There was a TV series which has recently been repeated called, 'The Red Tent'; it's about Jacob's family (brother of Esau) and of course his son, Joseph (Leah's son), with the colourful coat - and his only daughter, Dinah (pronounced Dee-nah), who married an Egyptian.  The  bleeding is mentioned quite a bit, which is why it's called the 'Red' tent. Women's secrets which actually scared the men a little bit.  Anyway, very good story.  I also read it but missed the last TV episode, I'll try and catch it. I think you might like it it, is fictionalised but not entirely.

Jacob is played by the Scot actor, Iain Glen, which seems a bit silly considering all his sons are dark haired with dark beards, but he plays the part very well. His horrible Uncle Laban is played by Leigh Lawson, Twiggy's husband.  He's good, doesn't matter he's not dark, he's older so grey haired.

Jacob has four wives whom he treats very well indeed;  Leah the eldest, she has seven or eight children, only one girl, Dinah; second wife is one whom he loved very much, Rachel, she has two children, Joseph and  Benjamin though Benjamin isn't really mentioned in the TV series. Jacob loves and treats them all well but the older boys are jealous of Joseph.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Roses

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 06:40:44 PM »
It's called the Mikveh (hope I've spelled that right). They also have the Mikveh a little while after giving birth and after having sexual intercourse for the first time, possibly before and after.  It's not quite as you have interpreted it, LR, nothing to do with being 'dirty', it's a ritual. Jewish girls love reaching the age to have Mikveh, it means a great deal. To be honest I think I would like it. There's more to it than meets the eye. Boys and men do too, different circumstances of course.

If you look on a Chassidic site (Chabad.org), you will find more info, LR  It's very, very interesting. I think Owl is the only person with some Jewish ethnicity on here but he might not know much about the women's rituals (& it might not be him, sorry if I'm confusing him with someone else).

There was a TV series which has recently been repeated called, 'The Red Tent'; it's about Jacob's family (brother of Esau) and of course his son, Joseph (Leah's son), with the colourful coat - and his only daughter, Dinah (pronounced Dee-nah), who married an Egyptian.  The  bleeding is mentioned quite a bit, which is why it's called the 'Red' tent. Women's secrets which actually scared the men a little bit.  Anyway, very good story.  I also read it but missed the last TV episode, I'll try and catch it. I think you might like it it, is fictionalised but not entirely.

Jacob is played by the Scot actor, Iain Glen, which seems a bit silly considering all his sons are dark haired with dark beards, but he plays the part very well. His horrible Uncle Laban is played by Leigh Lawson, Twiggy's husband.  He's good, doesn't matter he's not dark, he's older so grey haired.

Jacob has four wives whom he treats very well indeed;  Leah the eldest, she has seven or eight children, only one girl, Dinah; second wife is one whom he loved very much, Rachel, she has two children, Joseph and  Benjamin though Benjamin isn't really mentioned in the TV series. Jacob loves and treats them all well but the older boys are jealous of Joseph.

The Mikveh dates back to Old Testament times when women were regarded as unclean during their period! I think it is very sexist to expect Jewish women in the 21st century to still abide by it.  >:(
“What seems like a good idea at the time, more often than not bites the dust spectacularly” RJG

Robbie

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 02:24:28 PM »
It's about ritual cleanliness, not dirtiness, men too go to the Mikveh for ritual reasons.

I like the idea of it but of course, not being Jewish, we don't have to so it doesn't matter to us.

Roses

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2019, 09:10:15 AM »
It's about ritual cleanliness, not dirtiness, men too go to the Mikveh for ritual reasons.

I like the idea of it but of course, not being Jewish, we don't have to so it doesn't matter to us.

Daft rituals like that should be a concern to us all!

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2019, 09:19:35 AM »
Daft rituals like that should be a concern to us all!

Why?
As Robbie pointed out, this is about ritual...another attempt to fulfill the Mosaic lLaw.
It should not concern you or I, since there is no compulsion.
As far as I am aware, only certain of the various Orthodox Jewish sects which tend toward Pharasaism are sticklers for this any way, and even they do not compel anyone to take part - nor puninsh those who do not.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Roses

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2019, 10:43:12 AM »

Why?
As Robbie pointed out, this is about ritual...another attempt to fulfill the Mosaic lLaw.
It should not concern you or I, since there is no compulsion.
As far as I am aware, only certain of the various Orthodox Jewish sects which tend toward Pharasaism are sticklers for this any way, and even they do not compel anyone to take part - nor puninsh those who do not.

In my opinion, faith rituals of a former era should die out now we live in more enlightened times.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2019, 11:27:12 AM »
In my opinion, faith rituals of a former era should die out now we live in more enlightened times.

In your opinion?
While I don't share the Judiac emphasis on fulfilling the Law - Christ did it for me - I recognise that these customs, archaic though they may seem, have kept the identity of Jews through centuries of persecution and ostracism.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Roses

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2019, 11:53:41 AM »

In your opinion?
While I don't share the Judiac emphasis on fulfilling the Law - Christ did it for me - I recognise that these customs, archaic though they may seem, have kept the identity of Jews through centuries of persecution and ostracism.

I am glad the idea of that guy, Jesus, did it for you. It is a pity he couldn't be bothered coming through for me as a child when I desperately needed him to do so.   

SteveH

• From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free!
I suspect that it's only ultra-orthodox Jews who still hold to this.
True godliness don't turn men out of the world, but enables them to live better in it, and excites their endeavours to mend it.
William Penn

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 03:34:42 PM »
I suspect that it's only ultra-orthodox Jews who still hold to this.

I don't imagine Rabbi Julia Neuberger does. After all, ultra-orthodox Jews wouldn't have allowed her to be a rabbi at all, and no doubt consider that she should not be called such.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

SteveH

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 04:25:57 PM »

I am glad the idea of that guy, Jesus, did it for you. It is a pity he couldn't be bothered coming through for me as a child when I desperately needed him to do so.
What were you expecting?
True godliness don't turn men out of the world, but enables them to live better in it, and excites their endeavours to mend it.
William Penn

Robbie

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2019, 10:27:07 AM »
I don't imagine Rabbi Julia Neuberger does. After all, ultra-orthodox Jews wouldn't have allowed her to be a rabbi at all, and no doubt consider that she should not be called such.

She has actually spoken out against the Mikveh, I saw and heard her on TV saying so years ago.
Ultra-orthodox never recognised her as a rabbi, she is a liberal, reform Jew.

LR I don't understand why you're bothered about a Jewish practice, it's nothing to do with us and doesn't only concern women. The women like it. Jewish women are very powerful, if the majority wanted it to end it would.

SteveH

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2019, 10:33:53 AM »
[Rabbi Julia Neuberger] is a liberal, reform Jew.

She's a reform Jew. Liberal Judaism and Reform Judaism are separate.
William Penn

Robbie

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 11:38:11 AM »
She was a rabbi of a liberal synagogue before a reform, that's probably what confused me.