Author Topic: More finds from Egypt (Where else?)  (Read 35009 times)

ippy

Re: More finds from Egypt (Where else?)
« Reply #275 on: November 27, 2019, 06:55:33 PM »
My little wife and I did the Tutankhamen exhibition in 'The Saatchi gallery' Chelsea yesterday Anchor, I hope the powers that be bring it up to somewhere near you, it was only just about moderately interesting!

My favourite exhibit was the black guy, the warrior protecting the doorway, the one with, what looked like, a club wearing a golden apron and also holding,  a spear, I'm sure you'll know the figure I speak of, the amount of walking killed our feet, there's a lot to look at.

Regards, ippy.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #276 on: November 27, 2019, 07:51:43 PM »
My little wife and I did the Tutankhamen exhibition in 'The Saatchi gallery' Chelsea yesterday Anchor, I hope the powers that be bring it up to somewhere near you, it was only just about moderately interesting!

My favourite exhibit was the black guy, the warrior protecting the doorway, the one with, what looked like, a club wearing a golden apron and also holding,  a spear, I'm sure you'll know the figure I speak of, the amount of walking killed our feet, there's a lot to look at.

Regards, ippy.

I bit the bullet and went down on the first week (No, I didn't buy a ticket....my cousin bought me one as an early - esxpensive - Christjas present.)
The exhibition wasn't bad...the canopic coffin, throne, several statues from the 'treasury' etc, were here for the dirst - and last time.
That black statue thingy was a 'Ka' statue - in case the jmummy was destroyed, the king's Ka could nip into the statue and scoff the theological grub in those containers.
By the way, I hope you weren't daft enough to buy stuff at the shop - 'cos it was overpriced tat, mostly.
The hardcover book of the exhibition by Hawass is actually quite good, though.
Tonight on C5, part two of a three parter on Tut with Dan Snow. Not bad - part one was last night, part three tomorrow.
If you go to catchup, last night's prog had John Srgeant - yes, John Sergeant - scoffing Egyptian grub and trying the reconstructed beer (which is actually pretty potent and tasty).
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ippy

« Reply #277 on: November 28, 2019, 01:13:44 PM »

Forgive my former understatement I was really impressed by the sheer beauty of these beyond any price items that give so much credit to the people that made them, I spent five years at the London central school of arts an crafts learning alongside various craftsmen, no females there training at that time, and as a craftsman myself I can perhaps have more of an eye and appreciation of the effort that goes into the sometimes most simple of items displayed there.

The shop you mention there were a few items worth buying perhaps as gifts for young children provided there was a 75% discount on everything.

We've done a catch up on channel five and have now seen the first two programmes and are looking forward to the last one tonight 28th, we were really surprised when, although knowing the tomb was virtually untouched by robbers, at the quantity of items the sheer volume.

We now about three years ago downsized to a small bungalow, plug the vacuum cleaner and do the whole place without unplugging, even so if I could have nicked that figure with the war club etc I'd find some room for him somewhere here it was something I really liked, no idea why.

What a day out it's moved my thought over a few notches in my appreciation of the people of that area, in a good way, but in a way I find difficult to describe in words, more a feeling of shuffling the king western world idea I'm inclined to hang on to more than perhaps I should.

Not a very clear description but it's somewhere around my thoughts, I don't know?

My mother in law was always into Egyptology and we've loads of her books on all aspects of that stuff and my wife's cousin has learned how to read their hieroglyphics, what with that and her Richard the third society I don't know how she even finds time for food shopping, the bright ones all seem to be on my wife's side of the family but there we can't all be good looking.

Oh yes it must have been a bit of a saga of a journey from, I believe You're from Glasgow or around there well done I thought I was keen coming from North Essex, oh yes and I did wonder if you saw any of the shops openly selling vegetables while you were down this way?

Regards, ippy

P S Our grandson's mother's a Glaswegian.   

I bit the bullet and went down on the first week (No, I didn't buy a ticket....my cousin bought me one as an early - esxpensive - Christjas present.)
The exhibition wasn't bad...the canopic coffin, throne, several statues from the 'treasury' etc, were here for the dirst - and last time.
That black statue thingy was a 'Ka' statue - in case the jmummy was destroyed, the king's Ka could nip into the statue and scoff the theological grub in those containers.
By the way, I hope you weren't daft enough to buy stuff at the shop - 'cos it was overpriced tat, mostly.
The hardcover book of the exhibition by Hawass is actually quite good, though.
Tonight on C5, part two of a three parter on Tut with Dan Snow. Not bad - part one was last night, part three tomorrow.
If you go to catchup, last night's prog had John Srgeant - yes, John Sergeant - scoffing Egyptian grub and trying the reconstructed beer (which is actually pretty potent and tasty).

« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 01:40:43 PM by ippy »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #278 on: November 28, 2019, 06:54:56 PM »

S'ok, I had my passport handy.
I stayed overnight at my cousin's gaffe, where asuitable (imported) liquid lubrication was to hand, since you can't trust the water down there.
The content of the tomb never ceases to amaze me - not only the bling; of all the tombs to be preserved in the Valley, his poses the most questions, spawning umpteen serious theories and ten times that of daft ones.

For example, at least five of those blingy exhibits were not made for him at all - including that tiny gold coffinette and the statue of the king on the leopard.
The latter clearly shows a female, rather than a male ruler, and the name on the inside of the former belonged, not to Tutankhamun, but to another - female - king - Ankkheperure. The identity of that ruler has set the fur flying for decades, and there are still three main theories surrounding it...theories which have set some of the more - enthusiastic - Egyptologists to threats, even to legal action!
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #279 on: December 11, 2019, 07:41:17 PM »
 You can't escape him....you name a place in Egyptm,he's either recreated it for himself, written over it, built bits onto it, planted temples in it, or left statues of himself in it.
Here's the latest one - Ramesses II, as if you hadn't guessed.
http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/357585.aspx?fbclid=IwAR1sAIwX87vJuwm9w_xlpgQtzoh7627WtTr6YFsX-fHwyAZ40qCn_3_lFuQ

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #280 on: December 17, 2019, 09:51:03 AM »
 A nice wee sphink statue from Tuna-el-Gebel.
It has a royal head, but no name yet.
I'd hazard a guess, based on style, that this was either very late period (around c350 BC, making it Nectanebo II, or one of the early Ptolemies.
https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/4/78685/A-small-royal-statue-of-a-sphinx-uncovered-in-Tuna

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #281 on: December 19, 2019, 04:06:58 PM »
One for the birds.
The funerary temple of Amenhotep III has always been a mine for superb sculpture.
I said 'always'...it was reused, usurped, and emptied from less than fifty years after its' completion.
However, even today, it yields treasures.
A few years back, several dozen statues of the king and various deities were found; now a fragmented statue of Horus - more properly Re-Horakhty, solar protective deity of Egyptian kingship, has turned up, among other things.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/9/0/358052/Heritage//A-granodiorite-colossus-of-Horus-unearthed-in-Egyp.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0el66Ig6o9MqFHVESKaRpnBjehpAeNJLSCpTPfPiE4WEaART0qnmxvw8o

Walter

« Reply #282 on: December 19, 2019, 04:22:31 PM »
Anchs

did you have a mummy fixation when you were a kid  ;)

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #283 on: December 19, 2019, 04:26:11 PM »
Anchs

did you have a mummy fixation when you were a kid  ;)

Nope.
I had a space fixation.
Then some blasted teacher suggested I try something new for a project.
I wasten.
It went downhill from there.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #284 on: January 05, 2020, 08:18:50 PM »

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #285 on: January 09, 2020, 09:43:20 AM »
One of the problems for archaeology in Egypt is the amount of stuff still buried. Here, find a fragment of Roman pottery, a remnant of a cist burial or a bit of a torque and everyone's thrilled. In Egypt,try to dig a hole for a sewer, and some remnant of ancient times is bound to come up. This time,what looks like bits of a rather fine temple, probably twentieth or twenty-first dynasty, have started to be revealed. https://www.egyptindependent.com/photos-workers-in-daqahlia-village-stumble-upon-pharaonic-artifacts/?fbclid=IwAR0VYZ3b_2dey-9qT3X5nty-Uca9f3uDdkMhqbHFRsJV3GzysuUI7Ov7sUI

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #286 on: January 21, 2020, 03:42:20 PM »
Dead men (and women) walking.
As preparation for the new Grand Egyptian Museum at Giza near completion, the Tahrir Square Cairo Museum is getting a much neede cler out.
A lot is moving to the GEM, other stuff to a humanities display, leaving room at the Cairo for the vast amount of stuff now held in storage.
The royal dead are having an outing ; the mummies from the cache tombs of TT320 and KV35 are on the move.
It's a bit like gathering all the Tudor, Stewart and Hanovarians and flitting them to a new address.
https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/4/79668/Preparations-for-transfer-of-22-royal-mummies-finalized?fbclid=IwAR1wEJoakX9wMoof7cIPAeGzMIQG0FTnPzRj6kGll5fHr8nV7XeJZw08Kzg

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #287 on: January 22, 2020, 08:00:03 PM »
In Our Time does Tutankhamun

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cng6
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #288 on: January 22, 2020, 08:21:15 PM »
In Our Time does Tutankhamun

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000cng6

I'll give it a go. Sometimes I wish I hadn't written a paper on the end of the Amarna period...there are so many possible theories concerning kings, gender, co-rule, kidnap, murdering foriegn princes sent as husbands, palace coups, political chicanery, that if you threw a few flying saucers and a randy camel into the mix, there might be a possibility of truth there as well.....

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #289 on: January 23, 2020, 08:31:15 PM »
One of the epithets used to describe a person after death in Egypt waqs 'true of voice'.
After mummification, prior to encoffining, a ceremony was performed - the 'openinig of the mouth' in order that the mummified corpse's 'Ka' could speak in the afterlife.
Now scientists have given the mummy a voice!
Nesiamun/Nesuamun was a high ranking priest at Karnak at the collapse of Egypt's New Kingdom. As such he would have enjoyed considerable temporal authority in the semi-autonomous Upper Egypt.
Now, gizzmos and tech can reproduce what he sounded like in life.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51223828?fbclid=IwAR3SeITHmKfpbteq7xx4WrckYp5O--Nr7BbXyEdvGi2nXHmjddewA436t9M

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #290 on: January 24, 2020, 10:51:41 AM »
One of the epithets used to describe a person after death in Egypt waqs 'true of voice'.
After mummification, prior to encoffining, a ceremony was performed - the 'openinig of the mouth' in order that the mummified corpse's 'Ka' could speak in the afterlife.
Now scientists have given the mummy a voice!
Nesiamun/Nesuamun was a high ranking priest at Karnak at the collapse of Egypt's New Kingdom. As such he would have enjoyed considerable temporal authority in the semi-autonomous Upper Egypt.
Now, gizzmos and tech can reproduce what he sounded like in life.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-51223828?fbclid=IwAR3SeITHmKfpbteq7xx4WrckYp5O--Nr7BbXyEdvGi2nXHmjddewA436t9M

Sounds rather weedy?
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #291 on: January 24, 2020, 11:08:10 AM »
Sounds rather weedy?

Luckily he wouldn't have needed to preach...'cos there were no sermons as we know them.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2020, 09:49:52 AM »
 There's been a murder.......
OK....so an Irish mummy gives up its' secrets....probably a mixed race Greco-Egyptian living in an Egypt ruled by black kings from Sudan.....
This is groundbreaking tech, giving an insight into life - and violent death - in the twenty-fifth dynasty, which saw Egypt as a pawn in a struggle between Assyria and Ethiopia, in which Ethiopian kings ruled most of the land, though a rebellious group of Egyptians of Lybian ancestry supported by Assyria still held a torch for independence in the coastal lands of the Delta.
They would eventually succeed and rule Egypt for over a century, and, curiously, depend on Greek mercenaries to bolster their southern borders.
It would seem, though, that Greeks lived in the Theban area - what is now Luxor - in the eighth and seventh centuries BC, and interacted with the local population to produce a refreshingly cosmopolitan element we didn't suspect at this time.
https://www.itv.com/news/utv/2020-01-27/new-research-reveals-how-mummy-at-belfast-museum-died/?fbclid=IwAR2i29CUBeT8LTyZmP60LJM1Er9SULhv2J9hSNPgp4FOgo2Ru9j42CvDwsU

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #293 on: January 30, 2020, 09:58:06 PM »
 Hot off the camera.
The very latest pics from the latest tomb found this year at Tuna-elGebel, which has proved incredibly rich as far as middle-ranking Late Period (525-303BC) burials.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIvuClQSqLw&fbclid=IwAR0TLBIZacZ63UDmUCOxB4zzAH19u-9P8l7rpzcuSUwEV4O8cL3DfCq5IGM&app=desktop

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #294 on: February 13, 2020, 09:33:12 PM »
 A very significant find from Egypt's Delata.
83 superbly preserved burials dating from c4000Bc and three of them to around c3300BC...before the foundation of the pharonic state. The earlier 'Buto culture' burials show a well developed funerary culture, with pottery vessels and even pottery coffins; a level of sophistication which had previously been unsuspected in Delta culture of that period.

https://www.egyptindependent.com/dozens-of-ancient-graves-discovered-in-egypts-daqahliya-governorate/?fbclid=IwAR0xpcUtRhsgaJfYOiPp_02BNYaT8yVsVXtBYxgdO7EuRTYuKkxA1ZBtqdQ

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #295 on: February 17, 2020, 03:10:53 PM »
Another day, another find.
Some rather splendid coffins from Luxor.
At a cursory glance, they look like mid-ranking noble burials from around 1500BC.
http://luxortimes.com/2019/11/french-archaeologists-unearth-ancient-egyptian-wooden-coffins/?fbclid=IwAR11pBFHOek7xIII_CJ74dfuS-MRtgM5kKECDvqUVRcyACSoOrAlTbq3u2Q

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #296 on: February 21, 2020, 09:13:24 AM »
 The room that won't go away. Yet another series of scans may -or may not - show further rooms in KV 62. This will be the third lot of scans in Tutankhamun's tomb; the last lot were inconclusive. The story that won't go away...... This time, though, it's an as yet unpublished report from 'Nature', which doesn't normally go in for crackpot ideas. https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00465-y?fbclid=IwAR3_MUiB9Rn8W6ivJrg3HHkY9EplynViX1wxsEpztffnaK3261_rfbqFH_I

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #297 on: April 30, 2020, 09:18:18 AM »
      There's still some Egyptology going on.
This link is to a new find in Saqqara, a very luxurious tomb dating to the 'Sun kings' - the fifth dynasty, just after the Giza pyramids.
This period showed the full flowering of devotion to the Sun god Re in all its' aspects, including a rather obscure aspect - Aten - which would cause all sorts of problems nine centuries later.
This era saw the development of funerary theology for the nobles as well s the kings, and the first emergence of Osiris as the main funerary deity, eclipsing the earlier Khenty-amentiu.
This particular tomb shows the use of vibrant colours, and indicates a flourishing trade with Mediterranean and Asiatic areas, as, at this time, blue was usually only obtained by crushing rocks or other laps-bearing stone, sourced from what is now Turkey.
https://mymodernmet.com/khuwy-egyptian-tomb-saqqara/?fbclid=IwAR0lA4dkX32wRx8ZUQNLjlEw55auP_-YhR-EaMrEY3gOz5cmRDrcHvB55yo

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #298 on: April 30, 2020, 09:51:28 AM »
 Have a shuftie at this link.
It melds in two finds; a rather spectacular shaft tomb from Saqqara, probably a family tomb of the Third intermediate period (1000-6000 BC)
and a rather splendid mummy from Thebes dating to around 1750 BC.
The latter is a very good example of the 'Theban style' which developed as Upper Egypt was ruled by native Egyptian kings who formed the seventeenth dynasty, prior to the expulsion of the Asiatic rulers in the north and reunification of Egypt to form the New Kingdom and a 'golden age'.
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/ancient-egypt-discoveries-saqqara/index.html?fbclid=IwAR2yQ5e3jaF0DuV0E6C8TA02nBcP6JLh5K4syCvUxBhJ5pknB6sjvjZu8rk

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #299 on: May 03, 2020, 08:37:24 PM »
Getting to the guts of things.
More on the latest finds at Saqqara,including details of the excavation of a rather rare embalmers workshop - the 'house of purification' as the Egyptians called them; though they must have smelled anything but pure.
Also some great pics on the latest shaft tomb burials.
https://www.egypttoday.com/Article/4/85371/Egypt-announces-new-discoveries-studies-at-the-Mummification-Workshop-Complex?fbclid=IwAR3HauU3HDg9nzFU2efpNJiIZvsi7JxqF2Ce_yF_eI8qmbkJB9lS_VM5tok