Author Topic: UK General Election 2017  (Read 100117 times)

floo

Re: UK General Election 2017
« Reply #1225 on: June 10, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »
and the Mash take

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/politics/politics-headlines/dup-deal-to-focus-on-brexit-pensions-and-dinosaurs-being-a-hoax-20170610129309

When I was about 13 I asked the YEC pastor of the Pentecostal church I attended where dinosaurs fitted in, as they were obviously much older than the 6000 years he believed the earth to be. His daft reply was that god had placed their skeletons around the world as a test of faith!!!. My faith took a nosedive after that.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1226 on: June 10, 2017, 05:33:14 PM »
When I was about 13 I asked the YEC pastor of the Pentecostal church I attended where dinosaurs fitted in, as they were obviously much older than the 6000 years he believed the earth to be. His daft reply was that god had placed their skeletons around the world as a test of faith!!!. My faith took a nosedive after that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omphalos_hypothesis

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1227 on: June 10, 2017, 05:40:40 PM »
Carol Anne Duffy in today's Guardian:

In which her body was a question-mark

querying her lies; her mouth a ballot-box that bit the hand that fed. Her eyes? They swivelled for a jackpot win. Her heart was a stolen purse;

her rhetoric an empty vicarage, the windows smashed.

Then her feet grew sharp stilettos, awkward.

Then she had balls, believe it.

When she woke,

her nose was bloody, difficult.

The furious young

ran towards her through the fields of wheat.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Robbie

« Reply #1228 on: June 10, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »

He obviously never watched The Flintstones!

Wonder which way they would've voted.

Carol Anne Duffy in today's Guardian:

In which her body was a question-mark

querying her lies; her mouth a ballot-box that bit the hand that fed. Her eyes? They swivelled for a jackpot win. Her heart was a stolen purse;

her rhetoric an empty vicarage, the windows smashed.

Then her feet grew sharp stilettos, awkward.

Then she had balls, believe it.

When she woke,

her nose was bloody, difficult.

The furious young

ran towards her through the fields of wheat.

Love it Trent!
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

ad_orientem

• Russia delenda est
« Reply #1229 on: June 10, 2017, 10:20:48 PM »
Glad the Tories didn't get an overall majority. I even like some of Corbyn's views, especially regarding nationalisation.
Blessed are the Russophobes, for they will be called children of God. (J.C. - Sermon On The Mount)

jakswan

• Preloved Ads
« Reply #1230 on: June 11, 2017, 12:07:54 AM »
Glad the Tories didn't get an overall majority. I even like some of Corbyn's views, especially regarding nationalisation.

But have you told the papers? I'm sure they will be desperate to get your take,
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.
- Voltaire

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #1231 on: June 11, 2017, 06:26:51 AM »

We should develop a hypothesis that integrates the findings of Science with our inner spiritual experiences....because there is no doubt that many of our experiences are to be taken seriously as fundamental aspects of our life.   

Holding on to a dead hypothesis is of no use just as touting a strictly materialistic hypothesis is also of no use. 

Sorry to digress on this thread. Could not resist!

ad_orientem

• Russia delenda est
« Reply #1232 on: June 11, 2017, 07:09:08 AM »
But have you told the papers? I'm sure they will be desperate to get your take,

Eh?
Blessed are the Russophobes, for they will be called children of God. (J.C. - Sermon On The Mount)

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #1233 on: June 11, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »
Re: Boris

He valiantly made himself scarce after Brexit. Being given the thumbs down by Gove hardly a reason. Real reason may have been that clearing up the mess was too much like hard work and we have an even bigger mess. On the other hand he isn't getting much younger and time is counting down for his father Stanley's prophesy to come to pass.
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1234 on: June 11, 2017, 10:40:10 AM »
Yes, it is the Mail on Sunday and, yes it is Peter Hitchens, but he can still write. As ever don't agree with him entirely but the angle chimes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4592398/PETER-HITCHENS-Theresa-s-Tories-useful-zombie.html

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #1235 on: June 11, 2017, 11:35:24 AM »
Yes, it is the Mail on Sunday and, yes it is Peter Hitchens, but he can still write. As ever don't agree with him entirely but the angle chimes.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-4592398/PETER-HITCHENS-Theresa-s-Tories-useful-zombie.html
I agree.
However, He could, if it is his thesis that the tories have been off true message for years, state just what type of Conservatism will be the nations salvation.
Worse though is his complete ignoring of the role of the press. It isn't brave enough for him to exaggerate the negative role of the BBC rules as a conduit for tory views as he seems to and not bite the hand that feeds him. In other words he hasn't tried to remove from himself the humbug his article hopes to
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1236 on: June 11, 2017, 11:41:51 AM »
I agree.
However, He could, if it is his thesis that the tories have been off true message for years, state just what type of Conservatism will be the nations salvation.
Worse though is his complete ignoring of the role of the press. It isn't brave enough for him to exaggerate the negative role of the BBC rules as a conduit for tory views as he seems to and not bite the hand that feeds him. In other words he hasn't tried to remove from himself the humbug his article hopes to

The 'logic' of your approach here is that since you haven't condemned child poverty in the above post, you support it and have been complicit in ensuring that children go to bed in squalor and hunger.

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #1237 on: June 11, 2017, 11:49:48 AM »
The 'logic' of your approach here is that since you haven't condemned child poverty in the above post, you support it and have been complicit in ensuring that children go to bed in squalor and hunger.
Nonsense

I write responding to Hitchens article which is about what went wrong with the Tories election hopes. The press were obviously a factor in that, something which he ignored.

That is the logic of my approach as was a small point about putting forward a position without clarifying it which if his thesis and suggestion that true conservatism has been buried, deserved to happen.

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #1238 on: June 11, 2017, 11:58:40 AM »
Have you you placed this red non sequitur begging herring into muddy waters which have been poisoned in line with the policy of knocking theists for their logic?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1239 on: June 11, 2017, 12:01:46 PM »
I need to get a bigger television for it to show George Osborne's smirk on Andrew Marr

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #1240 on: June 11, 2017, 12:02:43 PM »
Having reflected on it I acknowledge that I now think Hitchens shows more credit and more courage than I originally attribute to him.
I now can state ,once again, ''Go Peter, Go Peter, Go Peter.''

wigginhall

« Reply #1241 on: June 11, 2017, 12:27:13 PM »
Situation in N. Ireland is pretty scary.  Lots of stories that DUP got endorsement from UDA, and the British govt now in alliance with the former.   Have they calculated what the effect this might have on republican areas, who see Protestant sectarians embraced by govt?    Now where did I bury that rifle by Murphy's barn, just in case?
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #1242 on: June 11, 2017, 12:32:25 PM »
Partying like it was the 18th April 2017

Michael Fallon?
Isabel Oakesh*tt of ''Corbyn the clown'' fame...Now tipping Graham Brady for May replacement.....Chair of 1922 committee, Brexiteer, famous for resigning because Cameron on grammar schools, Grammar school supporter.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 12:34:28 PM by Emergence-The Musical »

Rhiannon

« Reply #1243 on: June 11, 2017, 12:38:47 PM »
Did Labour make it clear in their manifesto that they are opposed to the single market and will not negotiate on it?

Rhiannon

« Reply #1244 on: June 11, 2017, 12:47:12 PM »
I need to get a bigger television for it to show George Osborne's smirk on Andrew Marr

For once I found him watchable, in a kind of don't-want-to-look-have-to-look kind of a way. Politicians are always more interesting when they leave politics..

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1245 on: June 11, 2017, 12:50:45 PM »
Did Labour make it clear in their manifesto that they are opposed to the single market and will not negotiate on it?

To quote

'We will scrap the Conservatives’ Brexit White Paper and replace it with fresh negotiating priorities that have a strong emphasis on retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union – which are essential for maintaining industries, jobs and businesses in Britain. '

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1246 on: June 11, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »
For once I found him watchable, in a kind of don't-want-to-look-have-to-look kind of a way. Politicians are always more interesting when they leave politics..
I saw him being attacked elsewhere for being 'disloyal, unprofessional and pretty self indulgent' or as someone pointed out 'a journalist'.  A very loved friend lost their seat at the election, and I wrote a note to them commiserating but pointing out that they get their life back now.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 01:04:24 PM by Nearly Sane »

Rhiannon

« Reply #1247 on: June 11, 2017, 01:01:41 PM »
To quote

'We will scrap the Conservatives’ Brexit White Paper and replace it with fresh negotiating priorities that have a strong emphasis on retaining the benefits of the Single Market and the Customs Union – which are essential for maintaining industries, jobs and businesses in Britain. '

The shadow chancellor has told ITV's Peston on Sunday he does not see continued membership of the single market as "even being on the table" in Brexit negotiations.

John McDonnell said he thought people would interpret continued membership of the single market as not respecting the decision of the referendum.

He added Labour had been clear they wanted a "jobs first Brexit" - and tariff-free access to the single market.

So 'retaining the benefits' does not include continued membership.

Rhiannon

« Reply #1248 on: June 11, 2017, 01:04:13 PM »
I saw him being attacked elsewhere for being 'disloyal, unprofessional and pretty self indulgent' or as someone pointed out 'a journalist'.  A very lived friend list their seat at the election, and I wrote a note to them commiserating but pointing out that they get their life back now.

Yes, he's all those things. Unfortunately something in me finds that watchable. Current political television is like Jeremy Kyle for Guardian readers.

Hope your friend is ok.

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #1249 on: June 11, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »
They called it a ''Jobs first Brexit'' having prioritised that that notionally leaves them with a flexibility on how that is achieved. They also have the luxury of the tories having to finally show a good deal of their brexit hand.
The GBP have been paradoxically shielded from contemplating the full implications of Brexit because of the recent events and have effectively separated the brexit from the politics. Whoever is negotiating Brexit particularly the Conservatives who are on the brink of electoral annihilation need therefore to know what the word on the street is about Brexit and whether the majority of people actually want it any more. The ball is in the tory court. Once they go and Brexit is seen as the turd it is....Labour will then do whatever they think fit.