Author Topic: My Kingdom is Not of This World  (Read 32412 times)

Gordon

• Administrator
Re: My Kingdom is Not of This World
« Reply #275 on: October 15, 2017, 04:42:34 PM »
I witness many selfish acts every day, including my own. People pushing in front of each other is the most frequent type, and it convinces me that there is such a thing as objective morality, where the only way to overcome evil is by humility and self sacrifice.

So, are you saying that your opinion on what constitutes inconsiderate behaviour is objective morality in action?

Do people trying desperately to get ahead of each other look as if they are in fellowship with each other? Can we call that good?

I wouldn't since I'm not sure what 'good' means: I'd limit myself to disapproval perhaps, but that would just be my personal opinion.

Such evil can only be prevented if there is submission on an individual basis to a higher authority, one whom we must believe in if we are to live in peace.

Again I'm not sure what 'evil' means but I'm sure there are worse things that people doing some shoving: you seem to be over-egging the pudding, Spud.

One thing the Gospel achieves is it proves this authority is a reality. It's not just the hope of life after death, but a way to achieve peace on earth and goodwill.

No it doesn't: I'm not bound by this Gospel of yours and it does seem, over the centuries, that its adherents don't always dispense peace and goodwill.

I used the word 'could' because Jesus' body was being guarded by Roman soldiers, and there is no way they would have let it be removed from the tomb.

That may be how the story goes but that isn't a guarantee the story is correct.

The church could not have survived if it was rooted in a lie.

Of course it could - all it needs is for people to believe the stories about Jesus.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 04:51:51 PM by Gordon »

Shaker

« Reply #276 on: October 15, 2017, 04:57:36 PM »
One thing the Gospel achieves is it proves this authority is a reality.
You have a different definition of the word prove to the rest of us, apparently.
The church could not have survived if it was rooted in a lie.
Pure unsubstantiated assertion, of course.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 05:00:21 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #277 on: October 15, 2017, 07:16:10 PM »
Islam in its original form is unacceptable to the rest of the world because it glorifies violence.
You must be reading the Islamic scripture incorrectly and not with an open mind and heart otherwise you would not say that!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Spud

« Reply #278 on: October 16, 2017, 05:11:03 PM »
That is a 'larf' the Christian god is a very violent so and so if the deeds attributed to it were true.

Under the Noahic covenant the Christian God sanctions the restraint of violence using force, whereas the god of islam wants the whole world converted to itself either by persuasion or by force

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #279 on: October 16, 2017, 05:13:20 PM »
Under the Noahic covenant the Christian God sanctions the restraint of violence using force, whereas the god of islam wants the whole world converted to itself either by persuasion or by force

My god is loving and only sanctions killing children in special circumstances.
Your god is evil
Their god is a murdering thing and we must kill its supporters and their babies because the loving god says so.

Spud

« Reply #280 on: October 16, 2017, 05:42:02 PM »
My god is loving and only sanctions killing children in special circumstances.
Your god is evil
Their god is a murdering thing and we must kill its supporters and their babies because the loving god says so.
My, Your, Their, not quite clear who is who here

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #281 on: October 16, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »
My, Your, Their, not quite clear who is who here
They aren't specific, that's the point.

Shaker

« Reply #282 on: October 16, 2017, 05:50:18 PM »
If I understand NS aright, he's using the same trope as: "I enjoy a drink in moderation; you are a heavy drinker; he is an alcoholic."
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #283 on: October 16, 2017, 10:04:29 PM »
Nah. You are just reading the scriptures incorrectly.
Now go back and start again but this time do it properly.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #284 on: October 17, 2017, 04:09:55 PM »
You belief is your own creation, other Christians don't see it your way.

You're so blind you don't see - to know any way -which may be the right way.
THE BIBLE SEES IT MY WAY, GOD SEES IT MY WAY... WHO'S WAY MATTERS OUTSIDE THAT?
You make stupidity an art form.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

floo

« Reply #285 on: October 17, 2017, 05:40:20 PM »

No Sass it is you whose nonsense is an art form. ;D ;D ;D

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #286 on: October 18, 2017, 01:27:59 AM »
The Bible and God see it your way? That's somewhat arrogant of you, especially when the bible precedes you by almost 2,000 years.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

ippy

« Reply #287 on: October 18, 2017, 02:05:29 PM »

Sass, I've yet to see any of these statements/assertions you keep making backed up in the slightest way with anything that could possibly considered evidentially viable, is there any chance you could do something about this fact?

Kind regards ippy.

floo

« Reply #288 on: October 18, 2017, 02:28:47 PM »
Sass, I've yet to see any of these statements/assertions you keep making backed up in the slightest way with anything that could possibly considered evidentially viable, is there any chance you could do something about this fact?

Kind regards ippy.

God better be in tune with Sass, or else it will be on the naughty step! ;D ;D ;D

Sassy

« Reply #289 on: October 19, 2017, 09:20:50 AM »
No Sass it is you whose nonsense is an art form. ;D ;D ;D

As I said, you make stupidity an art form.
Your responses show an absolute lack of any religious knowledge (for someone who says they had it rammed down their throat.)
Jesus Christ was the Son of God and the whole of the so called heads of the Jewish religion could not understand what God was telling them about their own God and religion.  Sometimes we need to see the bigger picture and understand why those who are taught by God, like Jesus Christ, the Prophets and Apostles differ to many of the big religions today.
Knowing God is an personal experience and had you experienced this or know the faith you said you once professed you would not be on forums disrespecting God.

One thing has become clear in your posts that you have no respect for authority figures in your life and have rebelled.
Maybe the answer to all your problems was your own views and your own rebellion. Other people and especially religion cannot be blamed for that.

You see truth is a commodity most people cannot afford. One day God will reveal everything hidden.
I believe that sometimes a black sheep never sees it as the rest of the flock do.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein

Sassy

« Reply #290 on: October 19, 2017, 09:28:03 AM »
The Bible and God see it your way? That's somewhat arrogant of you, especially when the bible precedes you by almost 2,000 years.

God is timeless, the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.
Nothing arrogant at all that is you attacking that which you do not understand in the only way you know how, the flesh.
The bible is more than 2,000 years old, only Christ and the NT precedes me by 2,000 years.
But God and the Holy Spirit and the Promise of Christ goes way back before he came.

You think somehow insults masks the ignorance and even the inncorrect belief that the bible is 2,000 years old.
The Torah the OT goes all the way back to Moses. As does the Promise of Christ the Messiah go back further than 2,000 years.

Faith and what we belief can hold no personal 'arrogance' for God made us and not the other way around.
Unless you can prove the opposite of what I have said then you cannot accuse me of arrogance.

Why not study the bible and actually try and answer the post content instead of throwing insults because you have no real answers to prove differently if what I say is truth.  Telling the truth isn't arrogance but calling someone arrogant when you have
no ability to know if telling the truth, that is arrogance.  You relying on an uninformed personal opinion about what someone has said about their belief, unable to prove or disprove it. Comments such as that are arrogant and totally unfounded when ignorant of the things said.

Sassy

« Reply #291 on: October 19, 2017, 09:30:08 AM »

Kind regards ippy.

I have always backed what I believe with the Bible hence they have been backed up the way of Gods Word.

Why make such unfounded statements. This was not about your disbelief or atheism. It was not about your personal atheism.
Therefore why bring red herrings into this matter? There is no fact because you are again addressing your atheism and not my true faith.

Sassy

« Reply #292 on: October 19, 2017, 09:33:22 AM »
God better be in tune with Sass, or else it will be on the naughty step! ;D ;D ;D

I see how you managed to turn your own rebellion onto those who were not really at fault.
But not with me... because your lack of ability to accept anyones beliefs outside your own is clearly outside your own selfish
ability to do so.  One day you will realise only you believe as you do and think arrogantly that makes you right and them in
the wrong. Truth is you make your own wrong and then accuse everyone else of making it that way.  You thought no one would
see and no one would tell. From here on in I believe and pray that God will make the truth blatantly obvious to all when you speak and disrespect God and others.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #293 on: October 19, 2017, 09:57:54 AM »

But not with me... because your lack of ability to accept anyones beliefs outside your own is clearly outside your own selfish
ability to do so. 
Do you accept anyone's beliefs outside your own?
Those of pagans, for one example?
Albert Einstein

floo

« Reply #294 on: October 19, 2017, 11:07:50 AM »
I see how you managed to turn your own rebellion onto those who were not really at fault.
ability to do so.  One day you will realise only you believe as you do and think arrogantly that makes you right and them in
the wrong. Truth is you make your own wrong and then accuse everyone else of making it that way.  You thought no one would
see and no one would tell. From here on in I believe and pray that God will make the truth blatantly obvious to all when you speak and disrespect God and others.

Oh Sass you are HILARIOUS, you accuse me of not accepting other people's beliefs when it is clear you don't accept my non belief. As I have said times without number, I was religious as a child, embarrassingly devout for a little while :-[ until I seriously started to question my faith and that was when I lost it.

I agree I disrespect the god of the Bible if the deeds claimed for it had any veracity, it is much worse than Hitler and should be exterminated if that were possible. I have no problem with people who have a faith, but don't try to force it on others with threats. I disrespect the more extreme theists who try to convert others to their POV by issuing threats if they don't convert. Religion is a matter of belief not fact. No theist has managed to provide verifiable evidence to prove god exists as a genuine entity, and not just a figment of the human mind. You certainly haven't Sass, verses from the Bible, which you endlessly quote, are no sort of evidence.

ippy

« Reply #295 on: October 20, 2017, 09:07:53 AM »
I have always ba
cked what I believe with the Bible hence they have been backed up the way of Gods Word.

Why make such unfounded statements. This was not about your disbelief or atheism. It was not about your personal atheism.
Therefore why bring red herrings into this matter? There is no fact because you are again addressing your atheism and not my true faith.

Sass it's a fact that, not just you, nobody has managed to come up with any incontrovertible evidence that would confirm for once and for all that this god figure/idea of yours does actually exist, this is the fact I was referring to.

I'm not a disbeliever, how do I disbelieve in something that isn't there for me to disbelieve in, in the first place?

For me Sass, there is no such thing as a he, she or it thing that you often refer to as god and I don't particularly mind being referred to as an atheist even though it's not a strictly accurate description of my non-belief in any religion, I prefer to be referred to as a 'non-religious' person.

I couldn't help noticing where you said, "I have always backed what I believe with the Bible hence they have been backed up the way of Gods Word", that's all very well Sass, but where is your evidence that does in fact back the bible as a collection of actual happenings, I've yet to see any of the supporting kind.

It would be daft to say the bible proves the bible, you must be able to see this Sass?

Regards ippy

floo

« Reply #296 on: October 20, 2017, 10:38:06 AM »
Sass it's a fact that, not just you, nobody has managed to come up with any incontrovertible evidence that would confirm for once and for all that this god figure/idea of yours does actually exist, this is the fact I was referring to.

I'm not a disbeliever, how do I disbelieve in something that isn't there for me to disbelieve in, in the first place?

For me Sass, there is no such thing as a he, she or it thing that you often refer to as god and I don't particularly mind being referred to as an atheist even though it's not a strictly accurate description of my non-belief in any religion, I prefer to be referred to as a 'non-religious' person.

I couldn't help noticing where you said, "I have always backed what I believe with the Bible hence they have been backed up the way of Gods Word", that's all very well Sass, but where is your evidence that does in fact back the bible as a collection of actual happenings, I've yet to see any of the supporting kind.

It would be daft to say the bible proves the bible, you must be able to see this Sass?

Regards ippy

Good post ippy.

ippy

« Reply #297 on: October 20, 2017, 12:53:10 PM »
Good post ippy.

Thanks Floo, I do think it's a shame people like Sass so really believe in this stuff that to me is such a load of absolute nonsense but she has every right to believe anything she wants to believe as has anyone else.

The main rub for me with these religios is the grabbing hold of very young children, as they all do, and then stuffing their vulnerable young heads full of these stories that amount to little more than old wives tales.

Regards ippy

floo

« Reply #298 on: October 20, 2017, 01:29:54 PM »
Thanks Floo, I do think it's a shame people like Sass so really believe in this stuff that to me is such a load of absolute nonsense but she has every right to believe anything she wants to believe as has anyone else.

The main rub for me with these religios is the grabbing hold of very young children, as they all do, and then stuffing their vulnerable young heads full of these stories that amount to little more than old wives tales.

Regards ippy

I agree people have a right to their faith, always providing it isn't used in an abusive manner in order to coerce others into conversion.

Spud

« Reply #299 on: October 20, 2017, 07:03:15 PM »
If I understand NS aright, he's using the same trope as: "I enjoy a drink in moderation; you are a heavy drinker; he is an alcoholic."

Why has it taken me four days to get this?  :'(