Author Topic: Spirit photography  (Read 31090 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Spirit photography
« on: October 16, 2017, 04:58:05 PM »
Interesting little article on the phenomenon of spirit photographs

http://www.openculture.com/2017/10/eerie-19th-century-photographs-of-ghosts.html

Shaker

Re: Spirit photography
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 05:08:57 PM »
That's the best collection of double exposures I've seen in a long time  ;)

This bit:
They were ordinary people bereaved by the mass death of the Civil War and deeply motivated to accept physical confirmation of an afterlife.
reminded me that Britain's own spiritualist boom came during and after the Great War,  spearheaded by Sir Oliver Lodge (who lost his son Raymond) and championed by big names such as Conan Doyle*.

* Who lost whatever credibility he may ever have had when the Cottingley fairy photographs, in which he was a staunch believer, turned out to be pictures of fairies cut out of books and stuck in the ground with hatpins.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 05:17:18 PM by Shaker »
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Rhiannon

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 08:03:01 PM »
The most hilarious ones are of 'ectoplasm'; some are at the Arthur Findlay College, the study centre for the British Spiritualists Association or whatever they are called, as 'proof' of spiritualist mediumship.

ippy

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 11:46:20 PM »
The most hilarious ones are of 'ectoplasm'; some are at the Arthur Findlay College, the study centre for the British Spiritualists Association or whatever they are called, as 'proof' of spiritualist mediumship.

Not a joke, there really is a newspaper called 'The Psychic News', why?

Shouldn't they all know anyway?

ippy

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 08:00:34 AM »
Weren't a few of those involved in the study and development of electromagnetic waves spiritualists? Oliver Lodge was an EM pioneer. While the relatively hard imagination-free agnostic mind being more attracted to Biology?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 08:06:22 AM by 'andles for forks »
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

Walter

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 12:00:27 PM »
https://youtu.be/W0HncGNBCqY

unbelievable ???

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 12:08:10 PM »
So "spirit photography" is not pictures of Johnny Walker and Captain Morgan?
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

ippy

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 05:36:31 PM »
Weren't a few of those involved in the study and development of electromagnetic waves spiritualists? Oliver Lodge was an EM pioneer. While the relatively hard imagination-free agnostic mind being more attracted to Biology?

Nicolas Marks?

ippy

Shaker

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 05:53:18 PM »
If you mean that Lodge was heavy on the imagination, no disagreement from me, Vlad ;)
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 06:02:31 PM »
If you mean that Lodge was heavy on the imagination, no disagreement from me, Vlad ;)
I was just saying that physicists seem to have a greater imagination than biologists.

And the legacy is seen NDG Tyson vs PZ Myers
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

Shaker

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 06:07:41 PM »
I was just saying that physicists seem to have a greater imagination than biologists.

Useful thing, imagination.

But in science the finishing line is the same whatever the branch may be ;)

Enki

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 08:43:44 PM »

Possibly, but I immediately thought of Alfred Russell Wallace who was a keen advocate of spiritualism as well a being one of the leading evolutionary thinkers of his time.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Shaker

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 08:57:53 PM »
Possibly, but I immediately thought of Alfred Russell Wallace who was a keen advocate of spiritualism as well a being one of the leading evolutionary thinkers of his time.
I was thinking of him too.

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 10:42:14 PM »
Yours is the superior knowledge Gentlemen.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science

Shaker

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2017, 04:15:01 PM »
 ::)

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2017, 08:38:50 PM »

Talking of spirit photography here is a CCTV footage ....

https://rachfeed.com/cctv-footage-shows-spirit-woman-died-fatal-crash/

Another....

https://www.aol.com/article/news/2016/10/04/people-claim-to-see-spirit-leaving-womans-body-after-fatal-acci/21491538/
It's sad that people are using this poor woman's death to fake up this, probably trying to make money.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2017, 05:25:17 AM »
It's sad that people are using this poor woman's death to fake up this, probably trying to make money.

But that's just your belief isn't it?!  No proof that it is fake. 

After all, most people in the world do believe in spirits and life after death!  The videos could just be evidence of that aspect of reality. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 05:35:22 AM by Sriram »

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2017, 06:51:46 AM »
Anybody who likes this kind of thing should try the 1972 film The Asphyx.

Walter

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2017, 07:25:51 AM »

After all, most people in the world do believe in spirits and life after death!  The videos could just be evidence of that aspect of reality.
I was alone with my dad watching him die . I didn't see anything leave his body when he did . Or does that only happen in certain circumstances?

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2017, 07:42:24 AM »
I was alone with my dad watching him die . I didn't see anything leave his body when he did . Or does that only happen in certain circumstances?

Yes....even I was sitting next to my father and FIL as they passed away....and I did not see anything leaving the body. If we could actually see the soul/spirit we wouldn't be discussing it in this manner would we?!

We cannot see or hear or feel the spirit/soul and that's the whole point. It is said that, under some special circumstances, especially if the person who died is fairly young, the soul can be felt or even seen.  These are unknown phenomena...so going into intricate details is not meaningful.

In the first video the guys on the scene obviously did not 'see' anything. But one of them seems to have felt something as he extended his hand through the soul ....or so it seemed to me. 

Also FYI, black souls mean not very evolved souls (more selfish) while white soul means more developed and loving.  :)

Maybe the videos are fake...but since I believe in souls/spirits and life after death...I have no reason to assume so.  Souls are normal!

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 09:23:48 AM »

Why would the video be "sensitive" to souls? It just records light, the same light that we see?
Unless it was fake!
No proof that it is not fake!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Shaker

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 09:28:25 AM »

A negative proof fallacy and an ad populum in two sentences.

That level of concentrated wrongness must take some work.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 11:06:20 AM »
  No proof that it is fake. 

Jusr ask yourself, why is the "soul" in the film vaguely human shaped?
Albert Einstein

Walter

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 11:06:27 AM »
A negative proof fallacy and an ad populum in two sentences.

That level of concentrated wrongness must take some work.
here we go again , no amount of explaining the 'wrongness' will ever get through unfortunately.
There comes a point when head banging against walls has to stop .

you carry on my friend if you wish , good luck  ::) ::) ::)