Author Topic: Tennis 2018  (Read 2395 times)

Rhiannon

• Women's Aid

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Tennis 2018
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2018, 09:51:58 AM »
Interesting comments here.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/11/world/australia/serena-williams-cartoon-herald-sun-racist.html

By the way the cartoonist talks about watching the match. And still he chose to portray Osaka as white and blonde.

Quote from Rod Liddle in the Spectator:

"I have spent the morning trying to draw a cartoon of a black person without it being racist. Itís bloody difficult. Especially the lips."

Rhiannon

• Women's Aid
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2018, 10:37:07 AM »
Quote from Rod Liddle in the Spectator:

"I have spent the morning trying to draw a cartoon of a black person without it being racist. Itís bloody difficult. Especially the lips."

Did he manage to draw a Haitian/Japanese woman without making her look blonde and white?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2018, 10:50:49 AM »
Did he manage to draw a Haitian/Japanese woman without making her look blonde and white?
I don't know. I didn't read beyond the quote. I just kept wondering what if it read

"I have spent the morning trying to draw a cartoon of a Jewish person without it being racist. Itís bloody difficult. Especially the nose."

Rhiannon

• Women's Aid
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2018, 10:56:56 AM »
I don't know. I didn't read beyond the quote. I just kept wondering what if it read

"I have spent the morning trying to draw a cartoon of a Jewish person without it being racist. Itís bloody difficult. Especially the nose."

Jeremy Corbyn would have said that it was a factual description of noses and everyone has one.

Rhiannon

• Women's Aid
« Reply #130 on: September 16, 2018, 10:58:13 AM »

Ultimately he's a wanker and the Spectator have a choice as the whether or not they want to keep employing him or not.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: September 16, 2018, 11:14:15 AM »
Ultimately he's a wanker and the Spectator have a choice as the whether or not they want to keep employing him or not.
It's part of The Spectator's marketing brand which is currently sadly succesaful. Basically it's built around a set of clickbait like Breitbart in a moderately well cut suit. Liddle runs his schtick as a contrarian man who speaks his mind, which unsurprisingly leads to a lot of shallow articles. I used to read it quite frequently as while I disagreed with it in the main, it wasn't filled with the end of the pier stuff if you just skipped over Taki's misogynist Nazi ravings.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:22:10 AM by Nearly Sane »