Author Topic: Plog  (Read 386 times)

enki

Plog
« on: March 29, 2019, 10:18:53 AM »
Two weeks ago, just before his 78th birthday, my dear, dear brother in law, whom all the family called 'Plog', died. He had lived his life with cerebral palsy, but what a full life he had led, loved and supported by both his brother and sister.

Yesterday was his funeral, and , as part of it, my wife delivered this eulogy to him. I hope you will bear with me if I repeat it here.

My brother,  my great hearted, loud brother, our John. known to his family as simply Plog. Nobody knows why, but the name stuck.

When we were children the only way Plog could get around was on a three wheeled bike.  It had a fixed wheel and his feet were fastened to the pedals.  He loved me to push him as fast as I could, I did.  you can imagine the results. It was very difficult at times to put both Plog and the bike back together, and explain the injuries when we got home!!
          This story seems to me to sum up Plogs life.  Willing to take risks in order to enjoy life to the full.  I believe that he really did have a good life, an enjoyable life.  Full of happy times.  He had pitfalls, sad stuff happened as it does with us all, but somehow he always managed to sail through!    Always there was a resilience, a determination, a positivity that alludes most of us.

He met life full on.  No sitting around for Plog, contemplating the meaning of life, Up and at 'em as he used to say.

I feel I must point out that our lives together were a two way stretch.  Plog had determination in bucket loads, but he had a good family who helped him anytime, anywhere if help was needed.  He knew that, he had confidence in us and he loved us just as we loved him.  It is a very special gift, to have a disabled sibling.  Being an ablebodied sibling sets you up in direct opposition to the disabled one.  But, both have to learn to accept each other.  Both have to understand the differences.  I think we, the three of us, were very lucky in being part of a family who clearly demonstrated patience, kindness and understanding and the three of us all got on well together.       How was it done?  We simply never really saw the disability.  We were all the same.    So what, one of us had crutches, what did that mean? Nothing much at all, we were just children together doing what all children do.  Growing up, falling out, playing together just like all regular children.     I think that strength went with him all his life.  Our mother taught us well.       

I think all who knew him, took something good from him.  I'm sure  Enki and my sons did, without them really realizing,  They had fun together, Andrew charging around a car park with Plog in a wheelchair.  All I can see is PLog's face with a grin from ear to ear!!He didnt want it to stop, he was having fun!!!   Playing charades,  pictuary where Plog tried to draw the Bering Straits by using a bear. it didn't work and we all laughed so much, I think that was probably the time he fell of his chair!!We played so many games together, had so much fun, so much laughter.

The last few years have been more difficult for him. life got harder. He did get fractious at times as his
disability finally caught up with him. Yet, he never gave in.  Life had to be wrenched from him.

My abiding memory will be his smile.  A smile that could melt hearts. If I got angry with him he
would just smile at me and say "Don't be cross Sis"  I would be cross no longer.

I went to see him a few days ago.  He looked good, just as usual.  I told him to wake up, but he didn't. I asked him again but he just would not wake up.  It was then that the finality of his death really hit me. Never again would I hear that loud booming voice, his infectious laugh.  Now it is down to memories.

I loved him dearly, as we all did, I respected him, I admired him, and will miss him until I die.

He was my friend.  I loved him. I shall miss him.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Plog
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2019, 10:39:52 AM »
Beautiful tribute. Thoughts with both of you.

torridon

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2019, 11:00:18 AM »
Condolences Enki, a lovely tribute by your wife there ..

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2019, 11:08:27 AM »
I'll confess to having a tear in my eye on reading your wife's eulogy: very moving and personal.

enki

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 11:47:33 AM »
Thank you so much for your comments.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Trentvoyager

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 02:02:32 PM »
What a lovely moving tribute. Thank you for sharing your story.
Pretty much everything in politics now boils down to a question of whether it's being driven by a sinister hidden agenda or just basic incompetence or ignorance. What a time to be alive - James O'Brien

Littleroses

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 02:54:53 PM »
A great eulogy. :)

Our Down's Syndrome has brought great joy to so many people. :)

Robbie

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2019, 01:38:59 PM »
Lovely eulogy.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest