Author Topic: Read The Holy Bible  (Read 3497 times)

NicholasMarks

Read The Holy Bible
« on: August 17, 2018, 01:22:48 PM »

The Holy Bible carries all the information we need about Almighty God and Jesus Christ. It cannot be argued against unless we know what it says...and it's clear that many of its debunkers have no idea what it says. If we start reading about Jesus Christ...we start at a good place because he, after all, is the son of God. Start by reading what others say is riddled with folly because the teaching in it is beyond our understanding but it feels good and carries a message of goodness, and more than anything else in the world today, we need its accuracy.

BeRational

Re: Read The Holy Bible
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2018, 02:02:17 PM »
The Holy Bible carries all the information we need about Almighty God and Jesus Christ. It cannot be argued against unless we know what it says...and it's clear that many of its debunkers have no idea what it says. If we start reading about Jesus Christ...we start at a good place because he, after all, is the son of God. Start by reading what others say is riddled with folly because the teaching in it is beyond our understanding but it feels good and carries a message of goodness, and more than anything else in the world today, we need its accuracy.

Why should anyone believe anything that is in the bible?
Why should I care what is in the bible?
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 02:26:58 PM »
Are there any versions which are better than others or does it matter which one is used?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 02:34:29 PM »
Read it? Yep. In several translations - daily. (reserving the NWT some Russellite gave me a few years back for next door's cat litter tray)
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 02:46:20 PM »
Why don't you start from the very beginning, as I am musically informed, it is a very good place to start. You can tell us which version you are using and we can do a line or so at a time, and people can comment on how they read it, or suggest other versions, and why certain interpretations seem more valid to them?

Roses

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2018, 03:02:09 PM »
I read the Bible (NIV) on a regular basis, and whilst I am disbelieving of its less than credible stories, there are some wise statements in there, which are worth consideration. As the documents making up that book were written so long ago, and the authors didn't have the knowledge we have today, they can probably be forgiven for attributing things they didn't understand to a god.

I usually give the book of Revelation a miss as it is open to so many interpretations, some of which are totally bonkers as this forum knows only too well. ;D None of that book can be supported, however much some would like to believe it can. I often wonder if its author was either drunk, or as high as a kite on a substance which would be illegal in this day and age?
“What seems like a good idea at the time, more often than not bites the dust spectacularly” RJG

NicholasMarks

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2018, 03:46:46 PM »
It is good to start with Jesus Christ's teaching because Jesus is God's 'word' made flesh and as that 'word' was in the beginning (John 1:1) we are indeed starting at the beginning. The many versions of the Holy Bible aren't a problem if they declare that Jesus Christ is the resurrected Son of God. That is the condition for being saved, recognising that Jesus Christ was reborn...and Jesus' 'word', made flesh, is the light of the world...or, more precisely, the knowledge about that world, and every other world in the United Kingdom of our God. A knowledge that without Biblical instruction, would never be found.

As has been proven many times that the happy, healthy family, is the one where discipline and love go hand in hand. It is a natural conclusion that if we are disciplined and loved in a healthy fashion that our health is being nurtured and the Holy Bible induces that discipline and love within us, even if our government, our family or our neighbours have other ideas, and, to be honest, our individual health and welfare is far more important than the cruelty and hard-heartedness which is the alternative to Biblical love, caring and discipline. The newspapers and our history express that alternative to God's discipline and love to us daily and continually.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:50:37 PM by NicholasMarks »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2018, 03:49:56 PM »
You seem to have jumped ahead, Nicholas. I'm still on Genesis.

Roses

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2018, 03:54:45 PM »

Skip that and move to the last book of the Bible, the only one worth reading. ;D ;D ;D ;D
“What seems like a good idea at the time, more often than not bites the dust spectacularly” RJG

NicholasMarks

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2018, 03:55:34 PM »

Genesis and John go hand in hand because they both start...'In the beginning'. It is a useful Biblical point that many things cross-reference in many different ways...but the Bible student has to be prepared to go all over irs many teachings with an open mind...thereby developing an acuteness of mind which is a stepping stone for our repair, and not a point to be taken lightly.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2018, 04:01:54 PM »
Genesis and John go hand in hand because they both start...'In the beginning'. It is a useful Biblical point that many things cross-reference in many different ways...but the Bible student has to be prepared to go all over irs many teachings with an open mind...thereby developing an acuteness of mind which is a stepping stone for our repair, and not a point to be taken lightly.
So how can we move on without discussing the ways these first three words are linked? How do we know what they mean in thenselvrs? How do we know that is is accurate and not folly that you have linked them? Given that things then don't mirror each other, what are we to make of that?

NicholasMarks

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2018, 04:04:11 PM »
Skip that and move to the last book of the Bible, the only one worth reading. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Revelation is written in code so that only a true believer can understand it fully. It tells us of how the last days will pan out and why it shouldn't be read lightly, either...but one thing we can guarantee from its opening verses is that all those who want to be saved must return to the original teaching of Jesus Christ...The teaching that Jesus indoctrinated to the seven churches in Asia...not the ramshackle teachings of iniquity.

No one is entitled to alter what has been said in Revelation, at the peril of them being struck from the book of life...and this is so very important to each and everyone of us because it is the end-game behind Jesus Christ's suffering.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2018, 04:13:47 PM »
So how can we move on without discussing the ways these first three words are linked? How do we know what they mean in thenselvrs? How do we know that is is accurate and not folly that you have linked them? Given that things then don't mirror each other, what are we to make of that?

It is all summed up in the teaching of faith, hope and truth. It is why people have difficulty with Biblical teaching because they want to ridicule it rather than realise, at the pain if one man's suffering and death, that it it is all written in truth.

In Genesis, God created the heavens and the Earth...In John 1:1...God told us how he did it. He broke the hidden code of nature, by his 'word' and Jesus so loved his father that he delivered that 'word' to us to save  us all from all the machinations of evil and especially, from the downside of God's Judgement.

Reading the Holy Bible requires a bit more desire to understand it rather than the desire to besmirch it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2018, 04:23:04 PM »
It is all summed up in the teaching of faith, hope and truth. It is why people have difficulty with Biblical teaching because they want to ridicule it rather than realise, at the pain if one man's suffering and death, that it it is all written in truth.

In Genesis, God created the heavens and the Earth...In John 1:1...God told us how he did it. He broke the hidden code of nature, by his 'word' and Jesus so loved his father that he delivered that 'word' to us to save  us all from all the machinations of evil and especially, from the downside of God's Judgement.

Reading the Holy Bible requires a bit more desire to understand it rather than the desire to besmirch it.
What about an open mind?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2018, 05:14:21 PM »
Revelation is written in code so that only a true believer can understand it fully.
There is the start and end of your problems Nick.
There are others, who also claim to be true believers Nick.
However they inderstand it differently to you.
Who is correct Nick?
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

NicholasMarks

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2018, 05:20:11 PM »
What about an open mind?

Reading the Holy Bible with an open mind is what delivers its results. In fact, an open mind is what the righteous teaching in the Holy Bible is looking for. With an open mind we can allow the Biblical complications reach inside our psyche and repair us. Remember, attitude is linked to our health, and there is no finer attitude than righteousness. Don't take my word for it...keep reading, with an open mind and try and understand why the owner of the universe wants to save you from a terrible and unstoppable fate that, because those who haven't read his work with an open-mind know nothing about.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2018, 05:23:47 PM »
Reading the Holy Bible with an open mind is what delivers its results. In fact, an open mind is what the righteous teaching in the Holy Bible is looking for. With an open mind we can allow the Biblical complications reach inside our psyche and repair us. Remember, attitude is linked to our health, and there is no finer attitude than righteousness. Don't take my word for it...keep reading, with an open mind and try and understand why the owner of the universe wants to save you from a terrible and unstoppable fate that, because those who haven't read his work with an open-mind know nothing about.
Assuming that the book is what the owner of the universe wants isn't an open mind. That's a presupposition about it.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2018, 05:29:16 PM »
Who is correct Nick?

It all starts with the reading of God's word...not mine. The many versions of Biblical instruction only hi-light that people are being led by iniquity rather than Jesus Christ, and by reading the Holy Bible with sincerity we find out exactly what Jesus said, did, and wanted us to follow, and thereby benefit from that 'word' of God's which is the 'light' of the world. If we look with sincerity there is no harm in getting it wrong for a while but the word moulds our thinking as well as our health, and it's all in the Holy Bible.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2018, 05:46:11 PM »
Assuming that the book is what the owner of the universe wants isn't an open mind. That's a presupposition about it.

I didn't quite understand that...but here is my interpretation of what I think you said...The happiest mind is the healthiest mind and the healthiest mind is the one where all the air, blood, nutrients and thoughts are gurgling through our minds pathways in a healthy way. The not-so-lucky have all sorts of mental problems, so it is easy for me to say that an open-mind, as delivered by Biblical teaching, and especially Jesus Christ, is a way of recovering from a multifaceted problem that is creating havoc in the whole world today and for which there is a ready cure in the form of the accurate teaching of Jesus Christ....remember...the Catholic church...the Samaritans. and Sigmund Freud, all harnessed the teaching of Jesus Christ, by way of talking to someone about our problems, when all that is really necessary is talking to Almighty God, via the accurate teaching of Jesus Christ.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 05:48:56 PM »
I didn't quite understand that...but here is my interpretation of what I think you said...The happiest mind is the healthiest mind and the healthiest mind is the one where all the air, blood, nutrients and thoughts are gurgling through our minds pathways in a healthy way. The not-so-lucky have all sorts of mental problems, so it is easy for me to say that an open-mind, as delivered by Biblical teaching, and especially Jesus Christ, is a way of recovering from a multifaceted problem that is creating havoc in the whole world today and for which there is a ready cure in the form of the accurate teaching of Jesus Christ....remember...the Catholic church...the Samaritans. and Sigmund Freud, all harnessed the teaching of Jesus Christ, by way of talking to someone about our problems, when all that is really necessary is talking to Almighty God, via the accurate teaching of Jesus Christ.
No, that's got nothing to do with what I wrote. If you are trying to establish the accuracy of something, or the meaning you done get there by assuming it to be accurate and having a specific meaning.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2018, 05:53:50 PM »
Who is correct Nick?

There is only one accurate teaching Seb...for reasons I haven't been slow to reveal to you all. Getting back to that accuracy means following Jesus accurately just as the seven churches in Asia were told to do. We ignore the Holy Bible at our peril...but that is all contained in the Holy Bible, which you are invited to read for yourself.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2018, 06:53:20 PM »
It is good to start with Jesus Christ's teaching because Jesus is God's 'word' made flesh and as that 'word' was in the beginning (John 1:1) we are indeed starting at the beginning. The many versions of the Holy Bible aren't a problem if they declare that Jesus Christ is the resurrected Son of God. That is the condition for being saved, recognising that Jesus Christ was reborn...and Jesus' 'word', made flesh, is the light of the world...or, more precisely, the knowledge about that world, and every other world in the United Kingdom of our God. A knowledge that without Biblical instruction, would never be found.

As has been proven many times that the happy, healthy family, is the one where discipline and love go hand in hand. It is a natural conclusion that if we are disciplined and loved in a healthy fashion that our health is being nurtured and the Holy Bible induces that discipline and love within us, even if our government, our family or our neighbours have other ideas, and, to be honest, our individual health and welfare is far more important than the cruelty and hard-heartedness which is the alternative to Biblical love, caring and discipline. The newspapers and our history express that alternative to God's discipline and love to us daily and continually.

"It is good to start with Jesus Christ's teaching."
Stop right there.
No, it isn't.
For a start, don't start the story half way through.
Any Bible study I've taken part in - or, for that matter, led - would start with recommending a reading scheme, with a small passage from both the Old and New Testaments daily. Jesus did not pop into history as a whole new ball game, you know: all through the historical books (1 Samuel through 2 Kings) as well as the major prophets, there are theophanies and Christophanies indicating was was to come.
You cannot simply jump into the New Testament without a basic grounding in the Old.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2018, 08:12:32 PM »
There is only one accurate teaching Seb...for reasons I haven't been slow to reveal to you all. Getting back to that accuracy means following Jesus accurately just as the seven churches in Asia were told to do. We ignore the Holy Bible at our peril...but that is all contained in the Holy Bible, which you are invited to read for yourself.
Someone else has read the Bible, Nick.
They have read it earnestly and accurately .

However they understand it differently to you, come to different conclusions to you and yer claim to be correct in their interpretations.

Who is correct, you or them?
Albert Einstein

NicholasMarks

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2018, 08:55:48 PM »

"It is good to start with Jesus Christ's teaching."
Stop right there.
No, it isn't.
For a start, don't start the story half way through.
Any Bible study I've taken part in - or, for that matter, led - would start with recommending a reading scheme, with a small passage from both the Old and New Testaments daily. Jesus did not pop into history as a whole new ball game, you know: all through the historical books (1 Samuel through 2 Kings) as well as the major prophets, there are theophanies and Christophanies indicating was was to come.
You cannot simply jump into the New Testament without a basic grounding in the Old.

Jesus Christ is God's 'word' made flesh...and through him we know God's attitude. You can start where you like but it is valuable to know that we can start with the life, death, and resurrection, of Jesus Christ. Prior to this God was speaking to his people via his prophets...a tribal people, with a tribal mentality. God drew them away from that pattern of behaviour, to guide them into the space-age...Jesus Christ is the teaching of the space-age, when we all must be more responsible for what really matters...our eternal life...our eternal spirit...our eternal saviour, and our eternal God...and a new covenant means precisely that...Ir's all in the Holy Bible.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2018, 09:03:15 PM »
Someone else has read the Bible, Nick.
They have read it earnestly and accurately .
However they understand it differently to you, come to different conclusions to you and yer claim to be correct in their interpretations.

Who is correct, you or them?

The Holy Bible interprets itself...it denotes fairness and honesty, justice and righteousness, and just as any caring parent induces their own loving kindness on their child, Almighty God and Jesus induces us with the righteous attributes that  help us, guide us, and identify evil to us via their own loving kindness. Where many go wrong is by following iniquity that has their own take on things hidden from view but never-the-less, not very Christian.