Author Topic: The Living-Cell  (Read 43213 times)

ekim

Re: The Living-Cell
« Reply #650 on: September 21, 2018, 10:11:43 AM »
What it does mention quite frequently is 'dunamis' which is translated as power, not energy.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #651 on: September 21, 2018, 10:58:38 AM »
What it does mention quite frequently is 'dunamis' which is translated as power, not energy.

Yep.
And thesense of the word suggests more 'authority power' than 'energy'.
The translators - and I use that word very loosely - of the NWT substituted 'energy' several times - the only translation in English to do so.
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

ippy

« Reply #652 on: September 21, 2018, 12:58:41 PM »
There's nothing wrong with what appears to be a need of yours to believe everything you have read in the bible, it's the apparent fact that you think the bible proves the bible Nick, doesn't exactly lend any credence to the many baseless assertions you insist on making.

You really need to go for a major sort out of the way you're doing your reasoning Nick, not to just to please me but for your own good.

To think the bible proves the bible could be described as a little more than a skewed way of thinking Nick.

Regards ippy

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #653 on: September 21, 2018, 06:51:21 PM »
Here’s a nice example of what NM’s actually doing from Sam Harris (a footnote from “The End of Faith”). 

No doubt, many students of Christian, Muslim, and Jewish esoterica will claim that my literal reading of their scriptures betrays my ignorance of their spiritual import. To be sure, occult, alchemical, and conventionally mystical interpretations in the Bible and the [Qur'an] are as old as the texts themselves, but the problem with such hermeneutical efforts . . . is that they are unrestrained by the contents of the texts themselves. One can interpret every text in such a way as to yield almost any mystical or occult instruction.

A case in point: I have selected another book at random, this time from the cookbook aisle of a bookstore. The book is A Taste of Hawaii: New Cooking from the Crossroads of the Pacific. Therein I have discovered an as yet uncelebrated mystical treatise. While it appears to be a recipe for wok-seared fish and shrimp cakes with ogo-tomato relish, we need only study its list of ingredients to know that we are in the presence of an unrivalled spiritual intelligence:

snapper filet, cubed
3 teaspoons chopped scallions
salt and freshly ground black pepper
a dash of cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
1 teaspoon minced garlic
8 shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cubed
1/2 cup heavy cream; 2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 teaspoons rice wine; 2 cups bread crumbs
3 tablespoons vegetable oil; 2 1/2 cups ogo tomato relish

The snapper filet, of course, is the individual himself -- you and I -- awash in the sea of existence. But here we find it cubed, which is to say that our situation must be remedied in all three dimensions of body, mind, and spirit.

Three teaspoons of chopped scallions further partakes of the cubic symmetry, suggesting that that which we need add to each level of our being by way of antidote comes likewise in equal proportions. The import of the passage is clear: the body, mind, and spirit need to be tended to with the same care.

Salt and freshly ground black pepper: here we have the perennial invocation of opposites -- the white and the black aspects of our nature. Both good and evil must be understood if we would fulfill the recipe for spiritual life. Nothing, after all, can be excluded from the human experience (this seems to be a Tantric text). What is more, salt and pepper come to us in the form of grains, which is to say that our good and bad qualities are born of the tiniest actions. Thus, we are not good or evil in general, but only by virtue of innumerable moments, which color the stream of our being by force of repetition.

A dash of cayenne pepper: clearly, being of such robust color and flavor, this signifies the spiritual influence of an enlightened adept. What shall we make of the ambiguity of its measurement? How large is a dash? Here we must rely upon the wisdom of the universe at large. The teacher himself will know precisely what we need by way of instruction. And it is at just this point in the text that the ingredients that bespeak the heat of spiritual endeavor are added to the list -- for after a dash of cayenne pepper, we find two teaspoons of chopped fresh ginger and one teaspoon of minced garlic. These form an isosceles trinity of sorts, signifying the two sides of our spiritual nature (male and female) united with the object meditation.

Next comes eight shrimp -- peeled, deveined, and cubed. The eight shrimp, of course, represent the eight worldly concerns that every spiritual aspirant must decry: fame and shame; loss and gain; pleasure and pain; praise and blame. Each needs to be deveined, peeled, and cubed -- that is, purged of its power to entrance us and incorporated on the path of practice
” etc

What Sparky does is find a word or phrase from an (apparently pretty ropey) translation of the Bible that, if you squint at it a bit sideways, remove any constraints on what else it might mean, and stretch your interpretation of it beyond the breaking point of any known knicker elastic will somehow just about give you a meaning that fits with a narrative that you’ve decided already is the correct one. The real kicker here is that he then kids himself that he’s somehow got divine authority from some “accurate teachings” and away he goes.

Weird stuff indeed, but there it is anyway.   
"Don't make me come down there."

God

SusanDoris

« Reply #654 on: September 22, 2018, 07:07:54 AM »
:D :D :D  Nice one!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

ippy

« Reply #655 on: September 24, 2018, 12:24:39 PM »
How long will you be disappearing this time Nick?

Regards ippy

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #656 on: September 24, 2018, 01:36:53 PM »
Just to note that where I was last night (not far from Stansted Airport) we had a gloriously clear night sky, and the star shone like diamonds scattered on velvet.

Maybe Sparky should have tried Specsavers?

God

ippy

« Reply #657 on: September 24, 2018, 03:12:00 PM »
Just to note that where I was last night (not far from Stansted Airport) we had a gloriously clear night sky, and the star shone like diamonds scattered on velvet.

Maybe Sparky should have tried Specsavers?

Nick'd need to have a note on him with the message, 'Please can you tell me the shortest dynamically righteous electric route from here to Specsavers'? Attached to his white stick.

Regards ippy

Maeght

« Reply #658 on: October 09, 2018, 02:36:07 PM »
Beautiful star filled sky last night.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #659 on: October 09, 2018, 06:02:56 PM »
Beautiful star filled sky last night.
You just imagined it because that is what you wanted to see! (Seemingly)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Maeght

« Reply #660 on: October 09, 2018, 11:48:23 PM »
You just imagined it because that is what you wanted to see! (Seemingly)

Imagined it again tonight. I never realised I had such a good imagination.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #661 on: October 10, 2018, 12:50:10 AM »
I'll bet that the position of the stars in your imagination, match directly and exactly where they ought to be!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

jjohnjil

« Reply #662 on: October 10, 2018, 04:13:26 PM »
I'll bet that the position of the stars in your imagination, match directly and exactly where they ought to be!

I don't know where you lot are looking, but all I can see is this dirty great horrible planet, with a lake of burning sulphur spitting out all over the place!

Sparky! Save me, please!

(I must stop watching Youtube!)

ippy

« Reply #663 on: October 11, 2018, 06:05:14 PM »
I don't know where you lot are looking, but all I can see is this dirty great horrible planet, with a lake of burning sulphur spitting out all over the place!

Sparky! Save me, please!

(I must stop watching Youtube!)

Give Nick a while you wicked evil person and he'll be back for another drubbing, the last break lasted for several months, he's probably having another gargoyle carved out to add on to the others he has on his lectern, the one he keeps in his living room, it will be protecting him from evil spirits.

ippy   

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #664 on: October 14, 2018, 11:33:20 PM »
If you want to see what is in the skies take a look at sunset every evening from now on and see the reddish/pink glow that is pervading the evening skies which is progressively getting worse, and explain that away for me.

Air pollution and global warming is my best guess (not being an expert)......all of man's own doing btw. They do look pretty though I have to admit.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #665 on: October 14, 2018, 11:45:38 PM »
No need to repeat what is already written to you in my previous posts Seb...but here is my latest post...and don't forget the fiery lake of sulphur. If you want to see what is in the skies take a look at sunset every evening from now on and see the reddish/pink glow that is pervading the evening skies which is progressively getting worse, and explain that away
Well Nick. I looked and saw no glow.
The only explanation is that you really want to see a glow and it is therefore a figment of your imagination.

There you go, explained away.

Next.
Albert Einstein

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #666 on: October 15, 2018, 01:40:12 PM »
No one can deny that the Holy Bible and modern science agree on the same point about energy being that it is superabundant and invisible and exists in copious amounts throughout the universe, Both say the same thing, in that everything is energy.

I deny it - as does everybody else with a basic understanding of science and the slightest familiarity with the bible.

You're talking utter nonsense - neither the bible nor science say that everything is energy.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

NicholasMarks

« Reply #667 on: October 15, 2018, 02:11:29 PM »
I deny it - as does everybody else with a basic understanding of science and the slightest familiarity with the bible.

You're talking utter nonsense - neither the bible nor science say that everything is energy.

Lift up your eyes to heaven and see.
Who has created these things?
It is the One who brings out their army by number;
He calls them all by name.
Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power,
Not one of them is missing.

(Isaiah 40:26 NWT)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLc7ErcdgJA     

(Albert Einstein)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The four fundamental forces of the universe can only be understood and unified, accurately, when we consider that everything is energy.

(Nicholas Marks)...15/10/2018

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 02:15:30 PM by NicholasMarks »

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #668 on: October 15, 2018, 02:40:06 PM »
Lift up your eyes to heaven and see.
Who has created these things?
It is the One who brings out their army by number;
He calls them all by name.
Because of his vast dynamic energy and his awe-inspiring power,
Not one of them is missing.

(Isaiah 40:26 NWT)

Seriously, the NWT? Even so, it doesn't say anything about everything being energy, let alone all the other drivel you keep making up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLc7ErcdgJA     

(Albert Einstein)

The picture is not a real Einstein quote. Even without checking, somebody who understands basic science can immediately tell that it's woo, not physics. I couldn't be bothered to watch/listen to the video because the quote underneath it was so obviously woo.

Energy isn't stuff. You can't make things out of energy. Nothing can be energy, things have energy.

See: Matter and Energy: A False Dichotomy

[I don't expect you will bother Nicholas, as you have a totally closed mind and complete blind faith in your own nonsense, but somebody may find it interesting.]

The four fundamental forces of the universe can only be understood and unified, accurately, when we consider that everything is energy.

(Nicholas Marks)...15/10/2018

You have clearly demonstrated that you haven't the first clue about how to unify the forces of the universe, so this is just laughable.
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #669 on: October 15, 2018, 03:07:26 PM »
Just a polite suggestion to the Mods: As Sparky clearly intends only to proselytise rather than to discuss anything at all, perhaps his efforts should go to the faith sharing area for those who like that sort of thing?
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:08:22 PM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #670 on: October 15, 2018, 04:06:13 PM »
Hi, Sweet Pea…I do things the way I do them because it is at the behest of Almighty God and his much loved son, Jesus Christ, and like the watchman who is equally guilty if he doesn’t notify those he is watching over, of approaching dangers, when something sinister is approaching, I don’t want to share in the guilt of the antichrist.

Every night now, at sunset, and for a number of months, there has been a huge red tint radiating across that area of sky…it lasts for about half an hour and it is causing quite a fuss on YouTube…but, true to form, it can only be seen by those who aren’t locked into the antichrist philosophy. Trentvoyager recognises its existence, whilst Seb can’t see it, on a night when it was particularly spectacular…
Maybe I couldn't see it because of all of the "pollution" blocking my view Nick?
Oh wait a minute, you could see the "glow", so maybe there isn't any "pollution" which would explain why I could see the stars cleary, oh hold on, you can't see the stars because of all of the "pollution" , can you Nick?

Which is it?

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:09:17 PM by Sebastian Toe »
Albert Einstein

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #671 on: October 15, 2018, 06:29:51 PM »
Can I just say I recognise sunsets which sometimes are enhanced, as I understand it, by pollution. Nothing more than that.
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #672 on: October 15, 2018, 06:45:01 PM »
Can I just say I recognise sunsets which sometimes are enhanced, as I understand it, by pollution. Nothing more than that.
Just to he clear, as Nick seems to value your superb eyesight .
Can you see the stars on a clear night,
Albert Einstein

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #673 on: October 15, 2018, 07:10:26 PM »
Just to he clear, as Nick seems to value your superb eyesight .
Can you see the stars on a clear night,

Yes, I can. Although age takes it's toll, and sometimes it is a little like through a glass darkly, but I do see them.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #674 on: October 15, 2018, 07:32:50 PM »
Seriously, the NWT? Even so, it doesn't say anything about everything being energy, let alone all the other drivel you keep making up.

The picture is not a real Einstein quote. Even without checking, somebody who understands basic science can immediately tell that it's woo, not physics. I couldn't be bothered to watch/listen to the video because the quote underneath it was so obviously woo.

Energy isn't stuff. You can't make things out of energy. Nothing can be energy, things have energy.

See: Matter and Energy: A False Dichotomy

[I don't expect you will bother Nicholas, as you have a totally closed mind and complete blind faith in your own nonsense, but somebody may find it interesting.]

You have clearly demonstrated that you haven't the first clue about how to unify the forces of the universe, so this is just laughable.

I have just heard Albert Einstein say it himself... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzRvCkn8KL8 ... 52 mins into a documentary film called...Atomic Physics - 1948...and don't forget that the equation E=mc2  says the same thing...also, Nikola Tesla said something similar...so its a bit disappointing if you want to condemn Jesus Christ, Almighty God, the entire Jehovah Witness faith, and me, for saying the same thing, as well...ie...'everything is energy'.

Actually, it is this pure, dynamic energy, that can be particles one minute and pure energy the next that is at the root of Jesus Christ's teaching because if we harness it the way Jesus Christ taught us to we can have an indestructible spirit as well...which means it is well able to give us resurrection, after our demise, because this energy that builds stars and atoms, life and science, is indestructible as well...It's all in the Holy Bible and it brings all the four fundamental forces of the universe into one unified understanding under the authority of Almighty God, of course.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:51:44 PM by NicholasMarks »