Author Topic: Fantastic Beasts and where to find them.  (Read 1231 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
Fantastic Beasts and where to find them.
« on: November 02, 2020, 04:24:27 PM »
Since we seem to bring up mythical beasts and gods from various pantheons perhaps it is time to analyse their backstories and their ontological status uneclipsed by the monotheistic religions.

Our first entity I believe should be the Leprechauns. What possible objection could we have to acknowledging the existence of the little fellers?
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

Owlswing

Re: Fantastic Beasts and where to find them.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 04:33:06 PM »

Since we seem to bring up mythical beasts and gods from various pantheons perhaps it is time to analyse their backstories and their ontological status uneclipsed by the monotheistic religions.

Our first entity I believe should be the Leprechauns. What possible objection could we have to acknowledge the existence of the little fellers?

The fact that one has never appeared in any news bulletin anywhere ever. Of all the reports of Leprechauns not one has ever been photographed or filmed?
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Enki

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 04:34:56 PM »

Our first entity I believe should be the Leprechauns. What possible objection could we have to acknowledging the existence of the little fellers?

Well there's no evidence that I can think of which points to the fact that they are real. There are, of course, plenty of stories(pleasant and unpleasant) about them but those aren't evidence that they exist, a bit like ideas of god(s) really. ;)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2020, 04:59:43 PM »
Well there's no evidence that I can think of which points to the fact that they are real. There are, of course, plenty of stories(pleasant and unpleasant) about them but those aren't evidence that they exist, a bit like ideas of god(s) really. ;)
What for you would constitute evidence for Leprechauns?
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

Enki

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2020, 07:40:01 PM »
What for you would constitute evidence for Leprechauns?

Bones, DNA, reputable historical references and cross references, ideologically independent witnesses, captured examples(living or dead), plenty of photographs and film, examples of wishes being granted under lab conditions, even pots of gold found regularly at the ends of rainbows. If we had plenty of this sort of evidence then maybe I'd start to believe that leprechauns exist or existed.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2020, 07:10:58 AM »
Bones, DNA, reputable historical references and cross references, ideologically independent witnesses, captured examples(living or dead), plenty of photographs and film, examples of wishes being granted under lab conditions, even pots of gold found regularly at the ends of rainbows. If we had plenty of this sort of evidence then maybe I'd start to believe that leprechauns exist or existed.
Yes I would probably have put the same although given the scientific evidence you require you add "ideologically independent witnesses and reliable historical sources." What sort of thing did you have in mind here?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2020, 10:46:40 AM »
As the wee fellas escape physical detection by flitting at will in and out of the natural/supernatural realms (I know this by the way because that’s my "faith") you’d have to start with the vast enterprise of defining, investigating and demonstrating that there’s such a thing as “the supernatural”.

Same goes for gods.   
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Enki

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2020, 10:53:39 AM »
Yes I would probably have put the same although given the scientific evidence you require you add "ideologically independent witnesses and reliable historical sources." What sort of thing did you have in mind here?

Reliable historical sources might well include internal integrity and logic and similarity of factual content based upon a range of references which can be checked. Ideologically independent witnesses would be those I would consider to lack distortion  because of any ideological biases.
Steven Wright

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2020, 10:55:53 AM »
As the wee fellas escape physical detection by flitting at will in and out of the natural/supernatural realms (I know this by the way because that’s my "faith") you’d have to start with the vast enterprise of defining, investigating and demonstrating that there’s such a thing as “the supernatural”.

Same goes for gods.
Thank you to Bluehillside who has tirelessly worked  on this forum to ADD to the myth of the Leprechaun using his imagination.

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2020, 10:58:21 AM »
Reliable historical sources might well include internal integrity and logic and similarity of factual content based upon a range of references which can be checked. Ideologically independent witnesses would be those I would consider to lack distortion  because of any ideological biases.
So someone who added to the myth could be said to be distorting?

Enki

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2020, 11:02:56 AM »
So someone who added to the myth could be said to be distorting?

Don't understand you!
Steven Wright