Author Topic: Topic for going off topic  (Read 183902 times)

Roses

Re: Topic for going off topic
« Reply #1350 on: August 28, 2020, 11:16:30 AM »
I don't think I have ever seen such a large house spider as the one I came across on the hall ceiling this morning. It was as large as the tarantula spiders I used to own, although not hairy like them.
“What seems like a good idea at the time, more often than not bites the dust spectacularly” RJG

SteveH

• From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free!
« Reply #1351 on: September 02, 2020, 07:40:03 AM »
Headlines on ''Microsoft News' this morning: "PM to face MPs at PMQs", and "[Tom] Cruise rents cruise ship for filming". Are they having a laugh?
True godliness don't turn men out of the world, but enables them to live better in it, and excites their endeavours to mend it.
William Penn

SusanDoris

« Reply #1352 on: September 08, 2020, 12:30:42 PM »
This morning I have spent 35 minutes in the gym just testing out my fitness. Because of the more or less daily walking I've been doing, treadmill and reclined bike no problem. Ad and abductor - resistance one notch lower, but it was really nice to be back.

The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #1354 on: October 02, 2020, 04:20:52 PM »
SO you will all know the clickbait that appears on your screen to lure you into advertisements.

You know the type "Last photos of people before they die horribly" or "50 starlets you've never heard of - then and now pictures". Well one lure keeps cropping up on my feed regularly, saying "Last tragic picture of Dusty Springfield" this appears below a photograph of the very much alive Petula Clark.

Somebody on the interweb doesn't know their British Divas very well >:(
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 06:45:15 PM by Trentvoyager »
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1355 on: October 02, 2020, 04:27:27 PM »
There's a great programme to be made about British Divas.

SteveH

• From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free!
« Reply #1356 on: October 03, 2020, 12:54:53 PM »
There's a great programme to be made about British Divas.
Starting with Tom Daley?
True godliness don't turn men out of the world, but enables them to live better in it, and excites their endeavours to mend it.
William Penn

SusanDoris

« Reply #1357 on: October 17, 2020, 02:30:14 PM »
The strip light in the kitchen half of my kitchen/dining room stopped working this morning. I phoned the local builder (who actually lived in this close when younger)  and left a message asking what he could suggest.
Knoing that he is a very kind man, I was not surprised when he called round about an hour-and-a-half later, saw the problem, went off to get two new strips, came back and fitted them and has just gone. Wwe are so fortunate here to know people like that. He knows how much I rely on good light and put things right for me for which of course I am most grateful.

ippy

« Reply #1358 on: October 17, 2020, 02:49:28 PM »
The strip light in the kitchen half of my kitchen/dining room stopped working this morning. I phoned the local builder (who actually lived in this close when younger)  and left a message asking what he could suggest.
Knoing that he is a very kind man, I was not surprised when he called round about an hour-and-a-half later, saw the problem, went off to get two new strips, came back and fitted them and has just gone. Wwe are so fortunate here to know people like that. He knows how much I rely on good light and put things right for me for which of course I am most grateful.

Good P R is one of the best ways of getting more work, staying in business, fortunately it comes naturally to the larger number of people in this line of work.

All the best to you SD, ippy.

SusanDoris

« Reply #1359 on: October 27, 2020, 10:03:13 AM »
This morning I couldn't find my two cloth face masks, so, a bit disgruntled, I went round and round all the places I might have put them. The right place is on a table in the lounge. In the process I turned out a drawer where I found all sorts of things to throw away, an old £20 note on a shelf, but the drawer is now very tidy! Eventually, I thought of feeling on the floor by the table - and yes, found them! This shows that my cleaner hadn't moved the tables when vacuuming, but  that doesn't matter. Equiilibrium restored, I am going to Lymington (by taxi) to ssee if I can find some suiteble shower-proof outerwear to enable me to maintain my up-and-down-the-Close walking during winter.

Anchorman

• Maranatha!
« Reply #1360 on: October 27, 2020, 10:09:20 AM »
This morning I couldn't find my two cloth face masks, so, a bit disgruntled, I went round and round all the places I might have put them. The right place is on a table in the lounge. In the process I turned out a drawer where I found all sorts of things to throw away, an old £20 note on a shelf, but the drawer is now very tidy! Eventually, I thought of feeling on the floor by the table - and yes, found them! This shows that my cleaner hadn't moved the tables when vacuuming, but  that doesn't matter. Equiilibrium restored, I am going to Lymington (by taxi) to ssee if I can find some suiteble shower-proof outerwear to enable me to maintain my up-and-down-the-Close walking during winter.

Been there, done the crawling about the floor bit, shouted at the face mask, which hardly ever answered back.....to find I'd put it in my jacket pocket.
It's an age thing.....
"for, as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

SusanDoris

« Reply #1361 on: October 27, 2020, 11:55:47 AM »

Been there, done the crawling about the floor bit, shouted at the face mask, which hardly ever answered back.....to find I'd put it in my jacket pocket.
It's an age thing.....
:) well, I've bought my suitable trousers and jacket with hood (from a shop called Rohan's)  - total cost £255 but I think I'll live long enough to get my money's worth! I'll still be wearing my trainers but if they get wet, then I have a spare pair and in any case, it will  be unlikely that I'd be going out again on the same day if I've walked in the rain!

SusanDoris

« Reply #1362 on: October 28, 2020, 03:41:40 PM »
More money spent today! this time on a 4 ft x 2 ft 6 in tap board ! It is from a firm in Totnes called Barnliving and will be delivered fairly soon. In my large (full width of the house) kitchen/dining area) I long since got rid of the dining table as I prefer having space annd this space is going to be just the place to use it. I was thinking I can use the windowsill to hold on to but it will be far more sensible to have a proper dance support bar ... which will go nicely on the walll between the windowsill and the radiator, can be used for other exercises too and will not be in a place where I can knock myself on it  Its main use in tapping will be to assist some slight elevation!by mistake.

Watch this space!!!

SusanDoris

« Reply #1363 on: October 30, 2020, 10:28:15 AM »
Put on new wet wether gear and at 9:07 I walked my 20 laps of the Close with hood up and adjusted to fit closely. Cocooned comfortably like that, the grey light, the light rain and strongish wind - though not a cold one - meant it was a pleasure , so I am really pleased with my purchases. Time taken - 52 mins which is a good average for me.

Spud

« Reply #1364 on: October 31, 2020, 09:59:05 AM »
His Excellency Rumen Radev, president of Bulgaria, is a fighter pilot. He was a MiG 29 squadron commander from 1997-1999 and ended up as Commander in Chief of the Armed forces. He performed a Pugachev's Cobra manoeuvre at an air show in 2014.

SusanDoris

« Reply #1365 on: October 31, 2020, 11:04:37 AM »
His Excellency Rumen Radev, president of Bulgaria, is a fighter pilot. He was a MiG 29 squadron commander from 1997-1999 and ended up as Commander in Chief of the Armed forces. He performed a Pugachev's Cobra manoeuvre at an air show in 2014.
That is an interesting piece of info - is there any reason in particular why you posted it today?

ippy

« Reply #1366 on: October 31, 2020, 11:59:30 AM »
Had to get a smart Phone because I could no longer turn up the volume loud enough for me to hear it anymore on my old phone, mind you it was one of those phones that the youngsters refer to as a brick, a bit of a shame because it folded and looked just like a Star Trek communicator, never did get Scotties number.

Anyway I've managed to get a micro sim and a micro 512 SD card for this new phone closely followed by a a copy of two books, 'Android Phones & Tablets for Dummies' also 'Android Phones for Seniors'.

Had a quick look at both books and it looks like I'll have to transfer photos to the SD card every so often from the phone's inbuilt memory, I was hoping to put photos/film straight onto the SD card without going through a transfer process, I think I've read the books right but I'm open to being corrected on this as I have to admit to being correctly described as a bit of a smart phone virgin.

Any help on this would be greatly welcome, the only proviso I respectfully ask if any help is offered please reply in the old pre smart phone version of our English language if someone on forum would be kind enough to lend a helping hand?

The phone is a : Samsung Galaxy A21s

ippy.

Spud

« Reply #1367 on: October 31, 2020, 12:03:34 PM »
That is an interesting piece of info - is there any reason in particular why you posted it today?
I've been watching some Digital Combat Simulator videos on YouTube, and someone mentioned it in the comments on one of them.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #1368 on: October 31, 2020, 12:15:02 PM »
Had a quick look at both books and it looks like I'll have to transfer photos to the SD card every so often from the phone's inbuilt memory, I was hoping to put photos/film straight onto the SD card without going through a transfer process, I think I've read the books right but I'm open to being corrected on this as I have to admit to being correctly described as a bit of a smart phone virgin.

If you're talking about photos and videos you take on the phone, there's usually a setting in the camera app itself. If you select the camera and look for a cogwheel icon, that'll get you to settings and then there should be one called "Storage location" or similar, where you should be able so select between "internal memory" and "SD card".
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Enki

« Reply #1369 on: October 31, 2020, 02:43:49 PM »
Had to get a smart Phone because I could no longer turn up the volume loud enough for me to hear it anymore on my old phone, mind you it was one of those phones that the youngsters refer to as a brick, a bit of a shame because it folded and looked just like a Star Trek communicator, never did get Scotties number.

Anyway I've managed to get a micro sim and a micro 512 SD card for this new phone closely followed by a a copy of two books, 'Android Phones & Tablets for Dummies' also 'Android Phones for Seniors'.

Any help on this would be greatly welcome, the only proviso I respectfully ask if any help is offered please reply in the old pre smart phone version of our English language if someone on forum would be kind enough to lend a helping hand?

The phone is a : Samsung Galaxy A21s

ippy.

Hi Ippy. I've just got the same phone as you. Very impressed with it so far. Haven't yet transferred any files as I haven't put in a SD card yet(it's already got 32g memory) but it should be easy enough. Here's some instructions on how to do it:

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-232286/

Also it should be easy to transfer any files from a computer(e.g. music, pics etc.) by simply connecting to a computer which will see the phone as a hard drive.

I'm still finding out about it. Incidentally I used a nano sim.

If you like astronomy apps, there's a superb one in Google Store, called Sky Safari. The free version is excellent.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

ippy

« Reply #1370 on: October 31, 2020, 06:24:07 PM »
Hi Ippy. I've just got the same phone as you. Very impressed with it so far. Haven't yet transferred any files as I haven't put in a SD card yet(it's already got 32g memory) but it should be easy enough. Here's some instructions on how to do it:

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-232286/

Also it should be easy to transfer any files from a computer(e.g. music, pics etc.) by simply connecting to a computer which will see the phone as a hard drive.

I'm still finding out about it. Incidentally I used a nano sim.

If you like astronomy apps, there's a superb one in Google Store, called Sky Safari. The free version is excellent.

Thanks for the help I promise I try to get my 78 ear old brain around it.

I take the bimonthly Which PC Computer Magazine and Samsung phones are at the top of its reviews in front of iPhone most of the time now but I can't afford their top of the range all singing and dancing jobbies but going by the glowing reports Samsung seem to be running the show I'll guess that applies to how their cheaper phones compare with similar priced phones of other makes.

I haven't got into the photo side of this amazing machine yet, now I'm retired I deal with most problems in that moment when you think to yourself 'I'm in the right frame of mind to deal with that problem now', and then I'l go to it, that moment with the phone hasn't arrived yet, I will do it.

Regards and thank you again to you and to all of those other offers of help, ippy.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 11:47:45 AM by ippy »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1371 on: November 02, 2020, 03:22:33 PM »

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1372 on: November 02, 2020, 04:03:24 PM »

Whale sculpture catches crashed Dutch metro train - of course

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54780430

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #1373 on: November 02, 2020, 05:48:27 PM »
Whale sculpture catches crashed Dutch metro train - of course

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54780430

Seen elsewhere

A Rotterdam artist's creation
Prevented a train conflagration
 - On leaving the rail,
 It stopped on the whale,
Which wasn't its scheduled cetacean

SusanDoris

« Reply #1374 on: November 03, 2020, 01:36:42 PM »
Seen elsewhere

A Rotterdam artist's creation
Prevented a train conflagration
 - On leaving the rail,
 It stopped on the whale,
Which wasn't its scheduled cetacean
:) Nice  one - and so nice to have a fun story at this time.