Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3338276 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #5500 on: November 22, 2015, 05:01:02 PM »
How?
Quantum events can occur without any discernable cause.  The cause of these events might be something which science can't detect - such as a spiritually induced act of free will.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 05:02:43 PM by Alan Burns »
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Shaker

« Reply #5501 on: November 22, 2015, 05:05:30 PM »
So without any methodology at work, how do you propose we tell the difference between the real but undetectable and the nonexistent?
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Bubbles

« Reply #5502 on: November 22, 2015, 05:25:51 PM »
This thread has had 63807 views  :o

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #5503 on: November 22, 2015, 05:26:55 PM »
This thread has had 63000+ views  :o

Obviously there's been nothing on telly then.    :)
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

SusanDoris

« Reply #5504 on: November 22, 2015, 05:38:05 PM »
Argumentum ad antiquitatem and argumentum ad ignorantiam. Any more?
I was just beginning to think that I really must avoid reading any of AB's posts, but this made me laugh instead - so thank you!! :D
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

torridon

« Reply #5505 on: November 22, 2015, 06:02:05 PM »
So without any methodology at work, how do you propose we tell the difference between the real but undetectable and the nonexistent?

Aw, come on Shakes, that smacks of empiricism, strictly reserved for people who want to know what really going on.

Alan Burns

« Reply #5506 on: November 22, 2015, 06:02:54 PM »
The reliable predictability of material behaviour at the atomic level is apparently dependent on the probability of certain quantum events taking place at a specific place and time.  This led to Enstein's famous quote -  "God does not play dice".  I would suggest that the cause of these quantum events is not random, but defined by an undetectable source which is specifically induced to give reality the nature we perceive.  In other words, most quantum events are controlled by God's will.  And He may have delegated other quantum events to be controlled by other sources of free will.
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

Shaker

« Reply #5507 on: November 22, 2015, 06:05:23 PM »
The reliable predictability of material behaviour at the atomic level is apparently dependent on the probability of certain quantum events taking place at a specific place and time.  This led to Enstein's famous quote -  "God does not play dice".  I would suggest that the cause of these quantum events is not random, but defined by an undetectable source which is specifically induced to give reality the nature we perceive.  In other words, most quantum events are controlled by God's will.  And He may have delegated other quantum events to be controlled by other sources of free will.
In other words, Sparky Marks's strange brew of a few poorly or even misunderstood scientific terms picked up from somewhere with a whole lot of quantum woo a la Deepak Chopra.

Great.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Outrider

« Reply #5508 on: November 22, 2015, 06:07:14 PM »
The concept of a soul which can transcend death has existed throughout five thousand years of human history, and, contrary to some popular belief, its existence does not contradict modern scientific discoveries.

Well, varying vague ideas which could be seen as variants of a 'soul' concept have existed, yes, much as stories explaining rainbows have been replete through human history. I'm not aware anyone has said that the idea of a soul is disproven by science, just that it's outside of science's remit given that no-one can give any supporting evidence for it.

It's not necessary for science, science has a perfectly serviceable explanation without it - outside of science, though, apart from it making you feel better to think that it's real, do you have any basis for the idea?

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

torridon

« Reply #5509 on: November 22, 2015, 06:07:35 PM »

Why would God seek to hide his power in the undetectable origins of quantum events. People in acncient times thought God intervened with fire and brimstone, wiping out entire Canannite populations.  Now it seems he uses his power only through means that are undetectable by science.

Outrider

« Reply #5510 on: November 22, 2015, 06:10:08 PM »

If that were the case, if it weren't random, we'd see a differentiation in the patterns of activity - that's a measurable claim. Do you have any evidence of that happening?

And still you resort to free will, but you've not actually explained how that is anything other predestined ideas and purely random components. What is 'free will'?

O.

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

Alan Burns

« Reply #5511 on: November 22, 2015, 07:04:01 PM »
If that were the case, if it weren't random, we'd see a differentiation in the patterns of activity - that's a measurable claim. Do you have any evidence of that happening?

If quantum events were truly random atoms and molecules would not exist.

Free will is simply using conscious awareness to induce an event.

Shaker

« Reply #5512 on: November 22, 2015, 07:05:59 PM »
Why not?

Alan Burns

« Reply #5513 on: November 22, 2015, 07:36:34 PM »
Why would God seek to hide his power in the undetectable origins of quantum events. People in acncient times thought God intervened with fire and brimstone, wiping out entire Canannite populations.  Now it seems he uses his power only through means that are undetectable by science.
Well there must be something inducing the quantum events which define the material reality we see at the atomic level, and it is not detectable by current science.

Shaker

« Reply #5514 on: November 22, 2015, 07:37:10 PM »
Well there must be something inducing the quantum events which define the material reality we see at the atomic level, and it is not detectable by current science.
But instead of saying "Search me, squire," you say that it's God.

Alan Burns

« Reply #5515 on: November 22, 2015, 07:38:49 PM »

Shaker

« Reply #5516 on: November 22, 2015, 07:40:59 PM »
Ask a quantum physicist
I'm asking you, Alan.

Alan Burns

« Reply #5517 on: November 23, 2015, 12:23:34 AM »
I'm asking you, Alan.
I was just quoting what I have been told by a quantum physicist - that the stability of atoms and molecules are dependent on specific quantum events occuring at the right time and in the right places.

Outrider

« Reply #5518 on: November 23, 2015, 10:21:14 AM »

Because?

Free will is simply using conscious awareness to induce an event.

Free will is nonsensical. Conscious awareness is deterministic.

O.

Alan Burns

« Reply #5519 on: November 23, 2015, 10:33:54 AM »
I was just beginning to think that I really must avoid reading any of AB's posts
If I was a non believer, I too would feel uncomfortable reading my posts.  :-\

Alan Burns

« Reply #5520 on: November 23, 2015, 10:39:06 AM »
Conscious awareness is deterministic.

The senses that feed conscious awareness are deterministic, but the awareness itself can't be defined in deterministic terms, or any physical terms for that matter.

Shaker

« Reply #5521 on: November 23, 2015, 10:39:56 AM »
It's not discomfort, Alan.

Outrider

« Reply #5522 on: November 23, 2015, 11:00:01 AM »
The senses that feed conscious awareness are deterministic, but the awareness itself can't be defined in deterministic terms, or any physical terms for that matter.

Firstly, can you demonstrate anything else? Secondly, we can link consciousness extremely strongly with brain activity, which is deterministic, without needing anything else to explain it and without any spurious activity - why presume anything else is involved?

O.

Alan Burns

« Reply #5523 on: November 23, 2015, 11:00:48 AM »
Quote from: Alan Burns on November 22, 2015, 07:04:01 PM

Because?

I can't remember the exact details, but my recollection is that we have to rely on the probability that certain quantum events will occur to prevent atoms from imploding.

Outrider

« Reply #5524 on: November 23, 2015, 11:01:27 AM »

Do you feel uncomfortable reading about Thor slaying the world-snake and bringing about Ragnarok?

That's how I feel about Jesus claims.

O.