Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 3291231 times)

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #15650 on: February 23, 2017, 09:22:13 AM »
Show your working ....

Well, exactly.

Alan, going back to #15557, it's obvious that you think you can make a logical argument, so how about setting it all out formally: give a list of your premises, any additional steps and conclusions?
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #15651 on: February 23, 2017, 10:36:10 AM »
AB,

You have the free will to investigate and to try to be objective.

Can you explain how you would propose to get from faith to objective please?

Thanks.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #15652 on: February 23, 2017, 11:43:05 AM »
Assertion alert !

Show your working ....
In not God, then what is the source of reality?
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32
Truth is not an abstraction, but a person - Edith Stein
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis
Joy is the Gigantic Secret of Christians - GK Chesterton

Alan Burns

« Reply #15653 on: February 23, 2017, 11:47:40 AM »
AB,

Can you explain how you would propose to get from faith to objective please?

Thanks.
My objectivity leads me to the conclusion that God is the only possible explanation for my existence.  For the full detail, see my previous posts.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 11:51:51 AM by Alan Burns »
Free will, though it makes evil possible, is also the only thing that makes possible any love or goodness or joy worth having. - CS Lewis

ippy

« Reply #15654 on: February 23, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »
My objectivity leads me to the conclusion that God is the only possible explanation for my existence.  For the full detail, see my previous posts.

Yes we got that, now how about explaining the details, naturally without any of the usual, unsupportable assertions you're so fond of giving us?

Try to make this an assertion free zone Alan, even though I know it's difficult for you.

ippy

Stranger

« Reply #15655 on: February 23, 2017, 12:10:19 PM »
[If] not God, then what is the source of reality?

What is the source of god?

A reality with a god is exactly as mysterious as one without.

wigginhall

« Reply #15656 on: February 23, 2017, 12:15:52 PM »

A reality with a god is exactly as mysterious as one without.

Well, AB keeps telling us that God is beyond understanding, so a universe with God at the top is very mysterious.   There may be ways of grappling with the origins of the universe, but not with God.   So it's a hymn to ignorance, it rejoices in ignorance.   
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

Stranger

« Reply #15657 on: February 23, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »

Your previous posts were full of unsupported assertions, circular reasoning and personal incredulity.

How about you do as I suggested in #15652 and formally set out what you think your logical argument is: give a list of your premises, any additional steps and conclusions?

torridon

« Reply #15658 on: February 23, 2017, 12:45:41 PM »
Show your working ....

That's not showing your working.  You need to establish how you get from the observation that reality exists, to the proposition that it was created by a hyper intelligent triple-omni human-like being working in complete isolation in some other invisible and inaccessible realm of reality.  It's quite a big ask to just swallow all that without murmur.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #15659 on: February 23, 2017, 12:55:06 PM »
AB,

My objectivity leads me to the conclusion that God is the only possible explanation for my existence.

You’re not getting it still. You tell us that you know you’re right about your various claims because that’s your "faith". Anyone can have faith in anything that takes their fancy. It is though subjective – and there’s no logical path to the objective.

If on the other hand you don’t rely on personal faith for you beliefs, then you should be able to set out your objective reasoning for others to consider.

For the full detail, see my previous posts.

There’s no detail in your previous posts. So far, all you’ve posted is a mix of assertions and logical fallacies. Neither of these things help you though if you want anyone else to take your claims seriously.

God

BeRational

« Reply #15660 on: February 23, 2017, 02:24:29 PM »

My objectivity leads me to the conclusion that god cannot be a possible explanation for my existence.

What a pickle.

I wonder how we could possibly address this problem?
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Alan Burns

« Reply #15661 on: February 23, 2017, 02:55:03 PM »

My understanding is that God is the definitive source of everything.  You can't get reality sourced from nothing.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 03:07:46 PM by Alan Burns »

BeRational

« Reply #15662 on: February 23, 2017, 03:02:55 PM »
My understanding is that God is the definitive source of everything.  You can't get reality source from nothing.

My understanding is that god is NOT the source of anything.

You can only get reality without a god.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #15663 on: February 23, 2017, 03:07:52 PM »
AB,

My understanding is that God is the definitive source of everything.

“Everything” except presumably God himself.

And there’s you problem. Effectively you’re saying, “I can’t imagine how the universe began, therefore God did it” as if the conjecture “God” both answers the question and is in some way exempt from the same question.

All you’ve done here is to attach the problem to your undefined conjecture. 

You can't get reality source from nothing.

Actually you arguably can get the reality of information “from nothing” but, either way, if you think “God” is reality then how did He come from nothing?

God

ekim

« Reply #15664 on: February 23, 2017, 03:10:41 PM »
So, all that is needed now is a definition of God.

Alan Burns

« Reply #15665 on: February 23, 2017, 03:13:39 PM »

That's not showing your working.  You need to establish how you get from the observation that reality exists, to the proposition that it was created by a hyper intelligent triple-omni human-like being working in complete isolation in some other invisible and inaccessible realm of reality.  It's quite a big ask to just swallow all that without murmur.
My logic boils down to the impossibility of conscious awareness arising from a chaotic material universe without God's intervention.  I know you disagree with this conclusion, but there is no material definition for what comprises conscious awareness and how it can be generated from purely material entities.

Alan Burns

« Reply #15666 on: February 23, 2017, 03:17:41 PM »
AB,

“Everything” except presumably God himself.

And there’s you problem. Effectively you’re saying, “I can’t imagine how the universe began, therefore God did it” as if the conjecture “God” both answers the question and is in some way exempt from the same question.

All you’ve done here is to attach the problem to your undefined conjecture. 

Actually you arguably can get the reality of information “from nothing” but, either way, if you think “God” is reality then how did He come from nothing?
But you are implying that any source has itself to have a source.  Can you not see the error in this?  There has to be an ultimate source, and I call this source God.

BeRational

« Reply #15667 on: February 23, 2017, 03:21:57 PM »
But you are implying that any source has itself to have a source.  Can you not see the error in this?  There has to be an ultimate source, and I call this source God.

But you do more than that. You think this god has intention and is the Christian god.

Why can this source not just be something else?

How do you know there has to be an ultimate source?

Stranger

« Reply #15668 on: February 23, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »
My logic boils down to the impossibility of conscious awareness arising from a chaotic material universe without God's intervention.  I know you disagree with this conclusion, but there is no material definition for what comprises conscious awareness and how it can be generated from purely material entities.

Absolutely textbook argument from ignorance fallacy.

Stranger

« Reply #15669 on: February 23, 2017, 03:33:44 PM »

This seems totally arbitrary, with no underlying logic at all. Questions abound.

How do you know that a "source" is needed?
How are you defining "source" in this context?
How do you know that there is only one "ultimate source"?
How do you connect any "ultimate source" to anything resembling the Christian god?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #15670 on: February 23, 2017, 03:35:08 PM »
AB,

My logic boils down to the impossibility of conscious awareness arising from a chaotic material universe without God's intervention.

There’s no logic at all – just assertion. If you think “conscious awareness” is impossible by natural means rather than just a very complicated emergent property, then you need to explain why. And no – “But it looks really hard to me” isn’t an explanation at all.

I know you disagree with this conclusion,…

Wrong again. People disagree with the your premise (the “impossible” bit). Your conclusion on the other hand ("God") is not even wrong. 

…but there is no material definition for what comprises conscious awareness and how it can be generated from purely material entities.

Actually to a large extent there is, but even if that wasn’t the case it’s as reasonable to infer emergence as the working explanation for imperfectly understood consciousness as it is to infer emergent wetness as the explanation for imperfectly understood fluid dynamics.

That you always run away from this doesn’t get you off the hook here. All you have in the locker is, “consciousness looks really hard to me, therefore God”. There’s no understanding of what neuroscience actually tells us, no logic, no evidence, no anything to deflect from emergence being the most robust working explanation we have.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2017, 05:08:23 PM by bluehillside »

God

Enki

« Reply #15671 on: February 23, 2017, 03:38:16 PM »
My understanding is that God is the definitive source of everything.  You can't get reality sourced from nothing.

I assume that whatever you believe your God to be, He is something rather than nothing. I assume that whatever you have decided is your idea of reality, it is something rather than nothing. So, if you make the statement that 'you can't get reality sourced from nothing' then surely the same must apply to your God. Alternatively, if you decide your God is outside of your idea of sourcing something from nothing, then anyone can apply the same argument to 'reality' whatever that may be(as long as it is something). It seems to me that you are in somewhat of a cleft stick situation here. My position is somewhat easier because whatever reality is, at least I don't have to bother about explaining the middle man(i.e. God) at all.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #15672 on: February 23, 2017, 03:44:14 PM »
AB,

So many assumptions, so little logic.

Why do you think there has to be “an ultimate source”?

Why do you think that “the universe” necessarily had to begin?

Why do you think that it didn’t begin itself?

Why do you thin that there had to be a causeless cause outside of the universe?

How would you know that that cause didn’t itself have a different cause in the background?

How would this “cause” even know that?

See, essentially your “argument” here is, “it’s magic”. And that answers nothing – it's the giving up on reason and enquiry in favour of a tawdry party trick of an answer. Fortunately for all of us, people who have argued as you do in the past – for example for Thor as the cause of thunder – have been ignored while others carried on looking. And that in essence is why people still do science rather than rely on clerics for the answers.

God

wigginhall

« Reply #15673 on: February 23, 2017, 03:44:53 PM »
I assume that whatever you believe your God to be, He is something rather than nothing. I assume that whatever you have decided is your idea of reality, it is something rather than nothing. So, if you make the statement that 'you can't get reality sourced from nothing' then surely the same must apply to your God. Alternatively, if you decide your God is outside of your idea of sourcing something from nothing, then anyone can apply the same argument to 'reality' whatever that may be(as long as it is something). It seems to me that you are in somewhat of a cleft stick situation here. My position is somewhat easier because whatever reality is, at least I don't have to bother about explaining the middle man(i.e. God) at all.

Yes, the whole rigmarole from AB is catastrophic really, except he can't see it.  He clings blindly to his assertions and self-defeating statements.   I wonder if he represents the intellectual collapse of Christianity?   
They were the footprints of a gigantic hound!

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #15674 on: February 23, 2017, 03:47:15 PM »
Wiggs,

Yes, the whole rigmarole from AB is catastrophic really, except he can't see it.  He clings blindly to his assertions and self-defeating statements.   I wonder if he represents the intellectual collapse of Christianity?

Quite possibly - AB is to reason what Trump is to politics: collapse.

God