Author Topic: Searching for GOD...  (Read 1812720 times)

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
Re: Searching for GOD...
« Reply #36100 on: July 13, 2019, 09:53:20 AM »
True to form, Alan, rather than engage with recent information indicating the decline of Christianity in the UK you resort to meaningless theobabble: no wonder Christianity is on the way out here.

True to form, Gordon, you once more confirm the truth in Sassy's opening post by proffering a statistical add pop argument to help justify your non belief.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #36101 on: July 13, 2019, 10:44:58 AM »
True to form, Gordon, you once more confirm the truth in Sassy's opening post by proffering a statistical add pop argument to help justify your non belief.
This is you back at implying non believers are lying. Why do you do that so frequently?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #36102 on: July 13, 2019, 10:46:11 AM »
The more sneering, sarky, pseudo-intellectual, straw-god-attacking posts from the non-believers on this forum that I read, the less attractive do I find the idea of abandoning Christianity (though I'm often tempted). Your sheer unpleasantness is a useful evangelistic tool for the church. Keep it up, chaps! (And before former azure slope, our resident fallacy-finder, accuses me of the consequentialist fallacy, I should point out that I'm not saying that the unpleasant attitude of the nonbelievers disproves non-belief, just that it puts people off it.)
Dunning Kruger rides again.

BeRational

« Reply #36103 on: July 13, 2019, 11:17:10 AM »
The more sneering, sarky, pseudo-intellectual, straw-god-attacking posts from the non-believers on this forum that I read, the less attractive do I find the idea of abandoning Christianity (though I'm often tempted). Your sheer unpleasantness is a useful evangelistic tool for the church. Keep it up, chaps! (And before former azure slope, our resident fallacy-finder, accuses me of the consequentialist fallacy, I should point out that I'm not saying that the unpleasant attitude of the nonbelievers disproves non-belief, just that it puts people off it.)

By unpleasant,  do you mean people that disagree with you, or those that point out were you have made a logical error?
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #36104 on: July 13, 2019, 11:21:59 AM »

Not an 'add pop' (sic), Alan: just noting the results of a series of reputable surveys that chart the on-going decline in UK Christian affiliation over recent years - none of which has anything whatsoever to do with my views.

Steve H

« Reply #36105 on: July 14, 2019, 09:24:56 AM »
By unpleasant,  do you mean people that disagree with you, or those that point out were you have made a logical error?
As my post made perfectly clear, I meant sarky, sneering, condescending people, like most of the non-believers on here. I can live with people disagreeing with me.
I thought LGBT was a sandwich until I discovered Smirnoff.

Steve H

« Reply #36106 on: July 14, 2019, 09:27:39 AM »
Dunning Kruger rides again.
What the bloody blue blazes has Dunning-Kruger got to do with anything?
I thought LGBT was a sandwich until I discovered Smirnoff.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #36107 on: Today at 05:58:00 PM »
Steve H,

What sneering, sarky etc would that be? My experience here is that itís the atheists who, on balance, are more polite, patient and willing to explain than are the theists. The relentless straw manning of Vlad, the unremitting dishonesty of AB (who will never, ever address the problems of the logical errors he repeats over and over again) are just two examples. If you actually mean the teasing of, say, spoof book titles though then what on earth else is there to do in response to the theists refusal to engage with the arguments that undo them?

Oh, and you need to understand too that, absent any cogent supporting arguments, dismissiveness of religious beliefs is every bit as appropriate as dismissiveness of leprechaunology. If someone wants his faith beliefs to be given special respect then those beliefs have to earn it by force of reason - just repeating them doesnít even get its trousers off for that purpose.
"To understand via the heart is not to understand."

Michel de Montaigne

Alan Burns

• I lay it down of my own free will. John 10:18
« Reply #36108 on: Today at 09:09:53 PM »
Steve H,

What sneering, sarky etc would that be? My experience here is that itís the atheists who, on balance, are more polite, patient and willing to explain than are the theists. The relentless straw manning of Vlad, the unremitting dishonesty of AB (who will never, ever address the problems of the logical errors he repeats over and over again) are just two examples. If you actually mean the teasing of, say, spoof book titles though then what on earth else is there to do in response to the theists refusal to engage with the arguments that undo them?

Oh, and you need to understand too that, absent any cogent supporting arguments, dismissiveness of religious beliefs is every bit as appropriate as dismissiveness of leprechaunology. If someone wants his faith beliefs to be given special respect then those beliefs have to earn it by force of reason - just repeating them doesnít even get its trousers off for that purpose.
Words of Bob Dylan come to mind:

The ghetto you build for me is the one you end up in,
The race of the engine that overrules your heart,
Ooh, I can't stand it, I can't stand it,
Pretending that you're so smart.

Dead man, dead man,
When will you rise?
Cobwebs in your mind,
Dust in your eyes.
The truth will set you free  - John 8:32