Author Topic: Death Hell Problems stalk the unbeliever  (Read 57279 times)

Owlswing

Re: Death Hell Problems stalk the unbeliever
« Reply #125 on: January 24, 2016, 01:44:59 PM »
That's one post I should not have made!  :(

Hey Man, negative perspiration, there have been far, far worse!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Leonard James

« Reply #126 on: January 24, 2016, 01:50:07 PM »
Hey Man, negative perspiration, there have been far, far worse!
:) :) :)

I will take comfort in that!

Enki

« Reply #127 on: January 24, 2016, 01:54:58 PM »
Yes my house is warm today, thankfully. We had a power cut two weeks ago for a whole day. We used candles for light, had no heating but if the builder had been sensible he would have added a chimney so we would have lit a fire. We kept our food fresh by putting it outside. Houses in Bulgaria have thick walls to keep in heat, and a well for water. The allotments are just down the road.
Best of all, no TV or internet! So we survived and had a friend round for a while. I guess if it was like that every day life would be harder than it is now but there would be less technical problems. Technology is basically man doing his job of subduing the earth.
Birds have nice thick plumage to keep them warm. Other creatures hibernate.

I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here, so I'll restrict my comments to your last two sentences. You are simply describing evolutionary traits which allow a species to survive. In a very cold winter many millions of individual birds die of cold and hunger. Such species as long tailed tits, for example, suffer terribly during periods of extreme cold. In fact many millions of birds die in their first year from natural causes(e.g. lack of food/predation/disease), often in the first few weeks, otherwise in a few years we would be overrun by blue tits, for example. This doesn't seem to me to have anything to do with your supposed God's goodness or otherwise.
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Leonard James

« Reply #128 on: January 24, 2016, 01:58:01 PM »
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to say here, so I'll restrict my comments to your last two sentences. You are simply describing evolutionary traits which allow a species to survive. In a very cold winter many millions of individual birds die of cold and hunger. Such species as long tailed tits, for example, suffer terribly during periods of extreme cold. In fact many millions of birds die in their first year from natural causes(e.g. lack of food/predation/disease), often in the first few weeks, otherwise in a few years we would be overrun by blue tits, for example. This doesn't seem to me to have anything to do with your supposed God's goodness or otherwise.

Ah, but that's because the Devil invented winter.

Owlswing

« Reply #129 on: January 24, 2016, 02:10:08 PM »
Ah, but that's because the Devil invented winter.

Truly? I thought that the Earth and everything in and on it was created in seven days by some supposedly omnipotent entity - what was his name now?
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Leonard James

« Reply #130 on: January 24, 2016, 02:14:57 PM »
Truly? I thought that the Earth and everything in and on it was created in seven days by some supposedly omnipotent entity - what was his name now?

It was that "God" character. I dunno whether his angel Lucifer fell out with him before or after the creation. All interesting stuff though, ain't it?

Owlswing

« Reply #131 on: January 24, 2016, 04:21:44 PM »
It was that "God" character. I dunno whether his angel Lucifer fell out with him before or after the creation. All interesting stuff though, ain't it?

Considering that the followers of that "God" character consider me and all other Pagans to be followers of the Satan bloke I suppose that I should know the answer to that question.

Unfortunately virtually none of the Pagans I have ever met (Oh shit, I'm sounding like Hope! But I have met a damned sight more pagans of various stripes than he) believes in Satan/the Devil as our belief is that we are the makers of our own destiny and do not have some little red bloke with horns, a pitchfork and a pointed tail sitting on our shoulders whispering naughty thoughts into our ears.

The best explanation I ever heard for the Christian dogma of Satan was that early Christian priests found that, far from being the high-minded and pure paragons of virtue that they claimed to be, they, like ordinary men, got an erection when they looked at a woman!

Because they were pious and holy the only reason for this physical reaction must be a nasty evil force = Satan! They still use this excuse for wanting, and getting, blow-jobs from choirboys!

Leonard James

« Reply #132 on: January 24, 2016, 07:11:16 PM »
Considering that the followers of that "God" character consider me and all other Pagans to be followers of the Satan bloke I suppose that I should know the answer to that question.

Unfortunately virtually none of the Pagans I have ever met (Oh shit, I'm sounding like Hope! But I have met a damned sight more pagans of various stripes than he) believes in Satan/the Devil as our belief is that we are the makers of our own destiny and do not have some little red bloke with horns, a pitchfork and a pointed tail sitting on our shoulders whispering naughty thoughts into our ears.

The best explanation I ever heard for the Christian dogma of Satan was that early Christian priests found that, far from being the high-minded and pure paragons of virtue that they claimed to be, they, like ordinary men, got an erection when they looked at a woman!

Because they were pious and holy the only reason for this physical reaction must be a nasty evil force = Satan! They still use this excuse for wanting, and getting, blow-jobs from choirboys!

Serves 'em right! They shouldn't have invented the daft idea that priests can't marry. I doubt very much that Jesus/God decided it.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #133 on: January 24, 2016, 07:44:03 PM »
my deities existed and were worshipped thousands of years before some idiot invented yours.

Spud's deity is at least early first millennium BCE. I don't suppose there's any evidence that your deities were invented that long ago.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Owlswing

« Reply #134 on: January 24, 2016, 11:02:31 PM »
Spud's deity is at least early first millennium BCE. I don't suppose there's any evidence that your deities were invented that long ago.

The earliest known religious artifact is a carving of the Venus of Willendorf, dated at 25,000 TO 23,000 BCE

Spud

« Reply #135 on: January 25, 2016, 08:40:13 AM »
No wonder you are called "Spud" - this statement could only have been made by someoine with the intellectual capacity of a potato - my deities existed and were worshipped thousands of years before some idiot invented yours.
Owlswing this is your lunch speaking. Maybe you should be true to your name and be quiet. Your deities do not exist and never have done. They are attributes of the one true God.

Spud

« Reply #136 on: January 25, 2016, 09:05:53 AM »
... which are evolutionary adaptations, but that's another story.

Birds and hibernating creatures still die in massive numbers if the food runs short or if it becomes too cold. They are still preyed upon by other creatures and spend much of their lives in a desperate scrabble for food and shelter or outright terror when at the top of some other creature's list of ideas for lunch. This is how it has always been and always will be. So much for the good outweighing the bad.
True that weaker creatures struggle more during extreme cold and live in fear of stronger creatures. Yet all creatures are subject to extreme weather, and that is God's way of asserting his control over them.

floo

« Reply #137 on: January 25, 2016, 10:25:36 AM »
Owlswing this is your lunch speaking. Maybe you should be true to your name and be quiet. Your deities do not exist and never have done. They are attributes of the one true God.

Garbage, all deities are human creations as there is no evidence any of them exist in reality!

floo

« Reply #138 on: January 25, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »
True that weaker creatures struggle more during extreme cold and live in fear of stronger creatures. Yet all creatures are subject to extreme weather, and that is God's way of asserting his control over them.

Your version of the deity would be an evil b*stard if that were the case!

Leonard James

« Reply #139 on: January 25, 2016, 10:42:03 AM »

Spud, you are in no position to be so condescending. You have zero evidence that your "one true God" actually exists.

Bubbles

« Reply #140 on: January 25, 2016, 11:48:34 AM »

Seriously ?

Its a bit of a blunt instrument

It reminds me of one of those cartoons where someone has a little cloud over their head.

Personal weather systems!

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2016, 01:04:07 PM »
Maybe you should be true to your name ...

The evidence on this board shows that you are being true to your name and it's probable inspiration.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZrMHwtGYrg

:)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2016, 05:35:20 PM »
Hello goats or turkeys looking forward to Christmas  :) whatever you call yourselves,maybe the hell bound club.those who are doomed with hardened hearts and dupes of Satan.

The United kingdom is not united ,Scotland,Wales,Northern Ireland turmoil in all directions dis unity all around,Great Britain  :) no longer great , up to our necks in debt cannot afford planes, for aircraft carriers.

One politician suggest putting to sea with nuclear submarines with no weapons,steel works collapse,turn off the lights at night council's say we cant afford them,but your rates will go up,and your services will be cut,police cut,fire service cut,library's cut,ambulance service grinds to a halt,food banks,the anti Christian BBC now crying out for money.People living 26 to a house crime on the increase,floods,        Judgement all around.Judgement and turmoil.

The ungodly are not so,
But are like the chaff which the wind drives away.
5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment,
Nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
6 For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,
But the way of the ungodly shall perish.

~TW~       
" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2016, 05:36:21 PM »
That's another 3 people in that house in a couple of days.

Owlswing

« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2016, 06:07:43 PM »

In your mind only - I think the same way about yours!

Owlswing

« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2016, 06:12:05 PM »
Garbage, all deities are human creations as there is no evidence any of them exist in reality!

When are you going to get it through your blind hatred that this is the very reason why it is called FAITH!

Because there is no evidence - only belief and faith in that belief.

This is not going to change just because you keep saying the same thing over and over again, any more than I am going back to Christianity because Hope, Ad_O, Sassy etc keep repeating the same thing - you will not turn me atheist for the very same reason.

Spud

« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2016, 09:59:48 PM »
Seriously ?

Its a bit of a blunt instrument

It reminds me of one of those cartoons where someone has a little cloud over their head.

Personal weather systems!
It was more thinking about how God can subdue the biggest of the creatures, as in Job (?)40. He seems to have arranged things so that we can either curse God which interestingly people here are doing and is just what Job's wife told him to do, or we can accept suffering and trust God, as Job did.

Spud

« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2016, 10:04:38 PM »
Spud, you are in no position to be so condescending. You have zero evidence that your "one true God" actually exists.
Science tells us that things do not create themselves, the law of entropy applies. Therefore they must have been created. That's evidence. You're right that I shouldn't have been rude to owlswing. Sorry owlswing.

Shaker

« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2016, 10:17:33 PM »
Science tells us that things do not create themselves, the law of entropy applies. Therefore they must have been created. That's evidence.
Not of a god, it ain't.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Owlswing

« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2016, 10:52:35 PM »
Science tells us that things do not create themselves, the law of entropy applies. Therefore they must have been created. That's evidence. You're right that I shouldn't have been rude to owlswing. Sorry owlswing.

Accepted