Author Topic: Answers to prayers?  (Read 41664 times)

Should God have intervened?

Yes
3 (75%)
No
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Answers to prayers?  (Read 41664 times)

Brownie

• Faith evolves
Re: Answers to prayers?
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2016, 01:10:13 PM »
It certainly seems that way floo, at least in parts of the USA.  They seem generally more religious than the Brits which is evidenced by their politicians who seem compelled to align themselves with some sort of church.  Over here, if a politician says they have a faith we - including those of faith - tend to think, "Oh well, that's their business, now let's get on with the job".  If they make a big deal out of their faith they disappear from public view quick!

We and the USA inhabit different worlds.

We have a Muslim mayor in London though, replaced Boris  :D!  Good man, a real Londoner.  http://www.sadiq.london/
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

Leonard James

« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2016, 01:32:27 PM »
Not public money?

Yes it was, it was all collected from the public!

From some of the gullible 30plus % of Americans who believe that Genesis is fact!

And sadly, money that could have been spent on a good cause rather than just promoting bullshit.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2016, 01:34:52 PM »
Or shoes and handbags, Len.  They are essentials!

floo

« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2016, 02:17:01 PM »
And sadly, money that could have been spent on a good cause rather than just promoting bullshit.

I agree, it is a criminal waste of money when people are starving in this world!

Owlswing

« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2016, 03:22:02 PM »

I missed that bit Owlswing.  Idiots.  However I was thinking more of government money, grants etc.

I know what you meant, but it seems the bloke didn't need any from such sources - there are enough mugs around to negate the necessity!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Owlswing

« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2016, 03:23:46 PM »
Brownie,

I'm not so sanguine about it. Families will go there, school kids will be bussed in etc and the scale and impressiveness of the facility will only help legitimise the lies it's peddling. Picture the poor biology teacher trying to teach the science only to have a pupil put her hand up with a, "But Miss, I know you're wrong because I've been to a museum where they told us the proper facts. They had dinosaurs and everything!"

OK, so it makes Kentucky a laughing stock and maybe it'll encourage investment to go elsewhere but it's still bad news I think.

Yeah - it makes Kentucky a laughing stock but only outside the U Sof A!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2016, 04:42:00 PM »
Owls,

Yeah - it makes Kentucky a laughing stock but only outside the U Sof A!

Not so sure about that. That it's in Kentucky is probably fairly significant - not sure that it'd gain anything like the traction in, say, Washington State, California, New York State etc.

Mind you, wouldn't it be great if someone could find the funds to put up a 100 metre tall face palm emoji right next door... :)

"Don't make me come down there."

God

Owlswing

« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2016, 06:11:52 PM »
Owls,

Not so sure about that. That it's in Kentucky is probably fairly significant - not sure that it'd gain anything like the traction in, say, Washington State, California, New York State etc.

Mind you, wouldn't it be great if someone could find the funds to put up a 100 metre tall face palm emoji right next door... :)

;D  ;D  8)  8)  8)

ippy

« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »
Hi ipster,

Is there a patron saint for estate agents maybe?

Sorry about that, and thanks for the kind comment.

I think my working partner's children went to the same school, I believe that school is nearby to the  A 12, his children have all been very successful, I mean really successful, but not as good looking as my lot.

Ippy

ippy

« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2016, 07:19:04 PM »
You are doomed unless you repent forthwith. Fifthwith is too late.

I was just thinking you must be right Len the house number is a way bit further on than five, oh dear.

Are you any good at packing?

ippy

ippy

« Reply #135 on: July 08, 2016, 07:38:43 PM »
Or shoes and handbags, Len.  They are essentials!

I can work out shoes because of the way so I'm told about the way our brains are laid out, brain mapping, the bit of the brain that deals with the feet is right next door to the bit of the brain that deals with the genitals, so the female shoes obsession, well yes.

Now handbags? Could the connection with having matching the shoes be the reason; I don't know? A bit tenuous?

Something that needs looking into more closely, so a friend of mine said, a close friend.

The brain mapping bit is true, I like to read about and listen to anything about neurology and manage to understand some of it from time to time; understanding some of the info about brain mapping is one of the easier bits to pick up and retain.

ippy     

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #136 on: July 08, 2016, 09:06:43 PM »
Especially if you have an EEG, a  PET, a CAT and MRI.  If you have MRI with gadolinium enhancement you may find out more than you wanted to.

Owlswing

« Reply #137 on: July 09, 2016, 05:46:57 AM »

Floo, Brownie

this thread is showing distinct signs of a Glitter Room ancestry!

floo

« Reply #138 on: July 09, 2016, 08:38:32 AM »
Floo, Brownie

this thread is showing distinct signs of a Glitter Room ancestry!

Ehhhhhhhhh?

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #139 on: July 09, 2016, 09:09:27 AM »
The Americans seemed more gullible that most of us Brits where religion is concerned!

Let us not be complacent about this, Floo. This disease affects this country, too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah's_Ark_Zoo_Farm
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Owlswing

« Reply #140 on: July 09, 2016, 10:06:52 AM »

Ehhhhhhhhh?

On the old Beeb R&E board ertain comments were made that were judged to be a tad infantile and a cerrtain poster (fpd) made  schoolmistressish comment back about miscreants being shut in the room used to store such Blue Peter-type supplies as the Sacred Olive Crayoin and jars of glitter, the sticky back plastic. empty washing-up-liquid jars etc.

The size of the room gradually increased due to the necessity to store such essentials as RR's ego, another poster's stupidity, and one Friday oit was suggested that the denizens of the Pagan Topic grab a few beers and a couple of bottles of mead and spend the evening in convivial chat, some friendly boozoing an generally tidy up "the Glitter Room", which had become a place to see just how "off-Pagan-Topic" posts could get before the Beeb Modded the thread.

By the time the Beeb shut down te message boards the Glitter Room had grown to a several hundred acre site with its own fullsize stone replica of Stonehenge, a lake, a moat complete with alligators and crocodiles, a cellar that stretched into n-space so that if we wanted a bottle of Napoleon brandy we just took a couple of bottles of mead that the nuns from the convent on the other side of the wood just outside the walls made for us and walked to see the man and do a swap.

The thread was over 1500 posts long when the Beeb shut down.

Spud

« Reply #141 on: July 09, 2016, 11:21:01 AM »
Spud,

Equality means enjoying the same rights as everyone else regardless of sexual orientation as it actually is, not conditional on sexual orientation as you'd prefer it to be.
Why would I prefer it to be conditional on sexual orientation, blue?

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #142 on: July 09, 2016, 11:45:57 AM »
You would be able to answer that best, Spud.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2016, 12:15:11 PM »
Spud,

Why would I prefer it to be conditional on sexual orientation, blue?

Presumably because your interpretation of your religious faith tells you so. Whatever the reason though, approving of marriage for heterosexual couples but not for homosexual couples isn’t, by definition, equality.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2016, 01:02:08 PM »
From my observation, some of the other Christian posters, or one regular poster anyway, would be really nice, interesting and reasonable, were it not for the obsession with sexual orientation.  It is a stumbling block, yet there are many prominent Christians, by whom I mean people we have all heard of, out there in the real world who are beginning to change their minds on this subject and actually talk about how conflicted they feel.  That's something I find very encouraging.

Leonard James

« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2016, 03:21:22 PM »
From my observation, some of the other Christian posters, or one regular poster anyway, would be really nice, interesting and reasonable, were it not for the obsession with sexual orientation.  It is a stumbling block, yet there are many prominent Christians, by whom I mean people we have all heard of, out there in the real world who are beginning to change their minds on this subject and actually talk about how conflicted they feel.  That's something I find very encouraging.

Yes indeed! Gradually they are realising that many of the Bible authors made the mistake of interpreting their own ideas as those of "God". It can only get better, I'm sure.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2016, 03:29:38 PM »
Indeed it can Len.

ippy

« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2016, 04:28:25 PM »
Especially if you have an EEG, a  PET, a CAT and MRI.  If you have MRI with gadolinium enhancement you may find out more than you wanted to.

I've got a SOSS Brownie, would that be any good?

ippy
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 04:33:29 PM by ippy »

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #148 on: July 09, 2016, 04:38:00 PM »
Smooth, streamlined, strong, secure and stable - hmmmmmmmmmm.  Stop boasting ippy, you'll cause me to be unhinged.

Spud

« Reply #149 on: July 10, 2016, 10:12:14 AM »
Spud,

Presumably because your interpretation of your religious faith tells you so. Whatever the reason though, approving of marriage for heterosexual couples but not for homosexual couples isn’t, by definition, equality.
It is true that the prohibition of same sex marriage would be inequality, if we assume that homosexuals who say they would never be attracted to someone of the opposite sex, know themselves fully and are correct (some do experience a change whereby this can happen).
However, even if it is inequality, and I peronally think we shouldn't assume they can never love someone if the opposite sex, there are people who for legal reasons have to accept inequality of marriage. So the question is, why should we propose that homosexuals be prohibited from marrying someone of the same sex - is there good reason to deny this to them as we would do with an already married person, for example?
An already married person would be acting unjustly towards his or her spouse and children if they married another person, unless their spouse had been unfaithful.
I can only speak from personal experience. Others may have had a similar experience, and so may understand what my point is.
I once fell in love with someone who I found out was a lesbian. Basically, there was a sense of injustice that she would love a female rather than me. I felt that I had been wronged. The feeling was different from times when a girl I had been attracted to had loved another guy. In thise instances, the feeling was disappointment but not that I had been wronged.
If you asked me to articulate why I felt it was an injustice, I would have to work through the reason. But because of that experience, I believe that it is not right to allow people to marry someone of the same sex.
Maybe this is why God says that homosexual relationships should be avoided. He made marriage for opposite sex couples - I dont agree that there is any room for interpretation of the Bible otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 10:15:11 AM by Spud »