Author Topic: Concern over cats in New Zealend  (Read 4306 times)

john

Concern over cats in New Zealend
« on: July 24, 2016, 10:05:03 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-36865776

Quite right too. It is time the UK took steps to control the damage these pests do.
"Try again. Fail again. Fail Better". Samuel Beckett

Brownie

• Faith evolves
Re: Concern over cats in New Zealend
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 10:20:46 AM »
Very funny John.
Let us profit by what every day and hour teaches us

john

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2016, 10:31:37 AM »

john

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2016, 10:33:32 AM »

john

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 10:35:41 AM »
http://schizophrenia.com/prevention/cats.html

Cats can cause schizophrenia in children.

john

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 10:43:57 AM »
Why do I have to keep my dog on a lead in a public place. Yet no restriction on Cats.

Why am I required by law to have my dog microchipped. Not so cats.

Why do I have to pick up my dog poo (I do it's right that I should). Cat owners let their cats crap anywhere even bury it in my grand children's sandpit.

If my dog strays into a neighbours garden and damages plants etc. I would be criticised and maybe even sued. Why do cat owners think it OK even funny when their cat enters my garden and digs up plants to crap in the hole.

Cat owners should take the same responsible attitude that dog owners do.

Cats should be confined to the owners house and only let out on a lead.   
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 10:47:05 AM by john »

floo

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 11:30:46 AM »
At least cats don't bark, thank goodness!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2016, 01:09:25 PM »
I say the should use the nasty little psychopaths as a food source: I'm sure that they'd be lovelier when curried.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 01:13:57 PM »
You're not having mine to put into a haggis!

john

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 01:30:42 PM »
You cans use their guts to make tennis rackets.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2016, 01:44:30 PM »
You cans use their guts to make tennis rackets.

Works for me.

floo

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2016, 02:01:31 PM »
During WW2 cats were routinely eaten in my home island, when there was little else to eat. The Germans who were living in my family home wanted to eat my Irish Great Grandmother's cat (she was permitted to live in a small apartment within our home), however she refused permission, and presumably because she was Irish they let her keep her cat! 

Gonnagle

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2016, 02:10:45 PM »
Dear John,

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/Naturalgut.html

So I am afraid cats are absolutely good for nothing.

I have never understood the fascination with cats, dogs yes but cats ??? Dogs have a personality, cats are boring, dogs make wonderful companions and they are brilliant ice breakers, you never see cat owners in groups in a park, what can a cat do that a dog can't, nothing, useless creatures ::)

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2016, 02:29:39 PM »

I have never understood the fascination with cats, dogs yes but cats

Totally the reverse as far as I'm concerned. Dogs have owners, cats have staff. That exemplifies the superiority of cats.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2016, 02:47:39 PM »
I like cats and dogs, plenty of people do and have a dog and cat which works fine if they grow up together.   I adore my four cats, three of whom - mother and two daughters - are now technically 'elderly', one of those is deteriorating but well enough in herself atm;  she's going to see the vet tomorrow.  The youngest cat, a male, is quite a free spirit and still hunts.  He brings in the occasional mouse through the cat flat, the odd rat, birds (which is sad but doesn't happen too often.  The only birds who visit our garden frequently are crows and large birds, like wood pigeons), frogs and has even caught a couple of squirrels and presented me with them.   If they are alive and seem to be unharmed, I rescue them and put them back outside but they're usually dead.  Sometimes a mouse frees itself and runs round the house which creates havoc.

A domesticated cat who is well fed and contented does not need to hunt for food, unlike foxes, however the hunting instinct is still there.  In the past we've had two cats who, despite being well fed at home, crunched their way through anything they caught and swallowed it - in front of us!  So the instinct must be stronger in some than others,

Someone above said that cats cause kids to have schizophrenia!  I'll go back and read that again but it sounds a bit far fetched.

I found this:
http://www.schizophrenia.com/prevention/cats.html

The answer to that is for cat owners to be responsible and ensure their pets are as healthy as possible.  Annual health checks and vaccinations, regular worming whether they appear to need it or not, flea prevention.

My sick cat has recently been screened for everything, a stool sample showed absolutely no bacteria that shouldn't be there, eg no giardia which can be transmitted to humans, and no parasites.

Kids can get worms, tape and round, from pets so it's important that our pets don't have any worms.
Pregnant women can have quite a dangerous condition caught from cat urine so litter boxes, if used, must not be touched or changed by them, though I suppose if they are scrupulous about using disposable gloves it's OK.

Feral cats are a different matter of course, they are not cared for and will take whatever they can get for food.  it's the fault of humans that there are feral cats though.  They are not like native wild cats.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:58:35 PM by Brownie »

floo

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2016, 02:56:01 PM »
When I was a kid we had loads of cats on our property to keep the vermin down, which had multiplied during the German occupation. The cats were feral and never permitted in the house. Dad would drown any kittens in a bucket until my mother put her foot down, and told him to take them to the vet.

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2016, 09:46:23 PM »

I have never understood the fascination with cats, dogs yes but cats ??? Dogs have a personality, cats are boring, dogs make wonderful companions and they are brilliant ice breakers, you never see cat owners in groups in a park, what can a cat do that a dog can't, nothing, useless creatures ::)

Dogs do little for me. I don't particularly want to share my life with a pack animal whose constant concern is its place in the pecking order. I certainly don't now want to have to carry plastic bags all the time.

I have shared my house with (rather than owned) five cats. Each was different, each had a totally unique personality. I'm sure that that is probably true about dogs, too, but I have never really wanted to find out. We did once have to look after a dog for a week. The dog had been indulged in its home. Its foolish owners made the mistake of feeding it before they ate their own food. This gave the dog a superiority complex. At first, our cat lived on a different level from the dog but after a few days the two were quite friendly - but the cat was in charge,

Cats can do many things that dogs can't do. (One of my cats used the human toilet - show me a dog that can do that.) Cats are quite good at problem solving. Its often said that cats cannot be trained in the way that dogs can. Animal behaviour experts disagree with this view - they say that cats are readily trainable providing the training starts with and uses the animal's basic behavioural characteristics.
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2016, 11:01:49 PM »
You are right about the individuality of cats, no two are the same.  Some are more intelligent than others too.  Some are quite in tune with their owner's feelings and can be kind, others don't care that much.  They can also be funny.

I had one that did impersonations, he was a legend in his own lunch hour.  His name was Everard, he died in the early 1980s.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2016, 11:24:38 PM »

Cats can do many things that dogs can't do. (One of my cats used the human toilet - show me a dog that can do that.)

Ask and ye shall receive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-Ecw0Vdak

(did your cat flush afterwards like the dog?)

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Harrowby Hall

« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2016, 06:30:30 AM »
Ask and ye shall receive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hj-Ecw0Vdak

(did your cat flush afterwards like the dog?)

it wasn't strong enough to push the lever.

Almost certainly the dog would have been taught - using operant conditioning techniques - to develop this particular behaviour. The cat was more likely to have observed someone using the toilet and then worked out how to use it itself. I recall reading that E L Thorndike, an early behaviourist, noted that on a few occasions, when cats were learning to escape from his "puzzle boxes", if a cat had seen another successfully solving the puzzle, it would imitate the successful animal's behaviour.

Cats are very much more visual animals than dogs and may possibly learn from observation.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 01:27:55 PM by Harrowby Hall »
Does Magna Carta mean nothing to you? Did she die in vain?

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 01:12:02 PM »
john,

Ooh, it's much worse than that. Did you know that cat owners are more likely than cat non-owners to be involved in car crashes?

The toxoplasmosis parasite transmitted from cats to rats, mice etc causes them to be reckless and so more easily caught and eaten by the cats. The idea is that the same parasite is transmitted by cats to their owners who then - at least according to one study - become 2.56 times more likely to have a car crash because they too become less risk averse:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2012/03/how-your-cat-is-making-you-crazy/308873/

Me, I'm taking no chances!
"Don't make me come down there."

God

john

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2016, 02:52:27 PM »
Harrowby Hall

Show me a cat that can;

Round up sheep.

Guide blind people.

Alert deaf people.

Help police catch criminals.

Help customs officers locate drugs.

Alert you to suspicious noises outside your house.

Scare off would be burglars.

Save people from drowning.

Etc. Etc.

Or indeed anything useful.

Brownie

• Faith evolves
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2016, 02:55:20 PM »
Don't other types of pets transfer diseases to humans?  I think so.  Occasionally anyway.
So does some cooked meat and fish, milk products, eggs and ..... not sure about veg.  We'll let veg off this time around.  Animal skin and fur - could even get anthrax from imported goat hair!  Not that I've ever heard of anyone importing goat hair but it's possible.   So - goats too.  Humans definitely transfer diseases to other humans, not sure if they can transfer them to their pets.

john, just saw your post.  Cats are not in competition with dogs, they each have their place and deserve to be loving cared for.

King Oberon

• Spread your wings and let the fairy in you fly!
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 03:05:25 PM »
Hi Folks,

Not been on in a while but sorry I’m not having this John!!! 

Let’s see the not so great benefits of dogs.

They smell and not only when wet and every dog owner’s houses smell of them.

Despite ‘some’ people using dog bags there is still dog crap all over the place and even crazier there are people who pick it up and hang it on trees or put it to the side of a full dog bin till it piles up.

They are unhygienic. Why would you let an animal that happily licks its bits endlessly, happily eats it’s or any other animals faeces and of course likes to roll in it as well enter your home let alone let them lick you and your loved ones faces!!

They are a constant nuisance to neighbours when they bark endlessly usually when the neighbour is out and of course they NEVER know about it when confronted even though it does it when they leave and is still doing it when they arrive back!

They are always in your face and need endless attention. They are scavengers and the ‘man’s best friend’ is easily lost given they are only interested in who feeds them and would gladly take food off your plate whether your there or not.

They wreck furniture and chew and drool over everything.

They are dangerous. In England alone last year there were 7,227 dog attacks in 2015 and 21 fatalities (13 children/babies) over the last 10 years. Not so nice people as frequent these boards happily train them for killing other animals as well as each other and they are used for intimidation. While they might happily be a good pet for years you still can’t be sure they might turn on you or others.

I’ve had 2 neighbours with dogs over the last 10 years. One let it shit all over the communal back garden (until finally thrown out) the current one is the endless barker when she goes out!

Dog owners seem to forget there are a lot of irresponsible owners around and probably a lot more who scarily think they are responsible when they aren’t. You don’t find many people intimidated or know someone who was killed by a cat (jungle ones being the exception)

Well there you are… give me a cat any day.

They are independent; dogs are dependent so really I suppose your preference mirrors your needs and perhaps your personality.  ;)
I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now?

Gonnagle

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2016, 03:13:25 PM »
Dear Rabbac,

You dog :P :P :P nice to see a post from you, hope you are well old son ;)

Anti dog eh!! Well hopefully you will give a list of wonderful jobs that cats do for mankind, you know! something along the lines of Johns list.

Gonnagle.
http://www.barnardos.org.uk/shop/shop-search.htm

http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

Go on make a difference, have a rummage in your attic or garage.