Author Topic: Where is god?  (Read 21657 times)

floo

Re: Where is god?
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2016, 04:24:45 PM »
Surely your God should know what would convince me?

If not, why not?

Exactly, it shouldn't be a problem if god exists and is an almighty deity.

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #51 on: September 10, 2016, 04:27:20 PM »
Exactly, it shouldn't be a problem if god exists and is an almighty deity.
Again, this assumes that you want to be convinced. If you do, then why can't you say what would convince you?
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

floo

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2016, 04:29:41 PM »
Again, this assumes that you want to be convinced. If you do, then why can't you say what would convince you?

I have said what I think!

SwordOfTheSpirit

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2016, 04:38:48 PM »
I have said what I think!
You're said that God should be able to convince you, but why can't you articulate to anyone following this thread a single example of what that might be?

Incidentally, I noticed elsewhere you stating that there is no evidence for God, so a similar type of question applies: What would you consider as evidence for God?

I'm persisting with this, to try and break the circularity

God doesn't exist, so there is no evidence for His existence;
There is no evidence of God's existence so He doesn't exist
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 04:44:08 PM by SwordOfTheSpirit »
I haven't enough faith to be an atheist.

floo

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2016, 04:59:00 PM »
You're said that God should be able to convince you, but why can't you articulate to anyone following this thread a single example of what that might be?

Incidentally, I noticed elsewhere you stating that there is no evidence for God, so a similar type of question applies: What would you consider as evidence for God?

YAWN, give it a rest!

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2016, 05:20:09 PM »
Sword,

Surely it would be a problem for "God" rather than for the sceptical enquirer to devise a method that would distinguish "His" presence from that of, say, very advanced aliens isn't it? You're just shifting the burden of proof again.
"Don't make me come down there."

God

NicholasMarks

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2016, 07:16:37 PM »
YAWN, give it a rest!

Here is one of God's problems...He has a world full of evil and hatred. Many are opposed to evil and hatred but they  don't know how to express it effectively...and evil and hatred use all kinds of instruments to maintain their path, like lies and deceit so that those who want goodness are left without the where-with-all to compete against them so Almighty God himself devises a cunning plan. He knows Wormwood is coming and soon everyone else will know it too and so he lets those trained in righteousness know that they can be saved but those who are behind all that evil, he, let's say, doesn't. They are trapped in their deceit because by it they have built riches and domains which they cannot turn away from and taking in the accurate teaching of Jesus Christ is turning away from the the things that he opposes.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2016, 07:38:03 PM »
Here is one of God's problems...He has a world full of evil and hatred. Many are opposed to evil and hatred but they  don't know how to express it effectively...and evil and hatred use all kinds of instruments to maintain their path, like lies and deceit so that those who want goodness are left without the where-with-all to compete against them so Almighty God himself devises a cunning plan. He knows Wormwood is coming and soon everyone else will know it too and so he lets those trained in righteousness know that they can be saved but those who are behind all that evil, he, let's say, doesn't. They are trapped in their deceit because by it they have built riches and domains which they cannot turn away from and taking in the accurate teaching of Jesus Christ is turning away from the the things that he opposes.

Hey Nickolodium!

I see that you have a new toy to play with - i.e. Wormwood.  ::)

So, what- exactly - is it?

Sadly Ialso see that you are using your old favourites 'soon' 'not far away' etc

So just to be clear, how soon is 'soon'?

Definition of soon

a; obsolete :  at once :  immediately
b :  without undue time lapse :  before long <soon after sunrise>

Origin and Etymology of soon

Middle English soone, from Old English sōna; akin to Old High German sān immediately
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Jack Knave

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2016, 07:49:02 PM »
The boot could be put on the other foot. How do you recognise the  actions of the devil? It does say that such is able to come across as being that of the "light", like God, and coming out with wondrous signs.

Jack Knave

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2016, 08:03:26 PM »

None. Which pretty much stymie's God; if It exists.

To make a judgement on any evidence one has to have had experience of that type of evidence before. The way evidence works is that it is repeatable numerously so that we can get to the point where we make an inductive assessment that this is the norm; with provisional conditions that future events may counter this judgement. Can't see where God would fit into this.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2016, 08:30:59 PM »
None. Which pretty much stymie's God; if It exists.

To make a judgement on any evidence one has to have had experience of that type of evidence before. The way evidence works is that it is repeatable numerously so that we can get to the point where we make an inductive assessment that this is the norm; with provisional conditions that future events may counter this judgement. Can't see where God would fit into this.

If you don't allow righteous teaching into your life why should Almighty God let you know he exists??

You would only argue against every point he makes and tell him plainly that your aggression against goodness is far superior to his more gentle attitude which fits neatly into his gentle science of repair and resurrection.

Best to just follow Jesus Christ knowing that faith in him incorporates a wonderful science in our daily lives.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2016, 08:44:24 PM »
Hey Nickolodium!

I see that you have a new toy to play with - i.e. Wormwood.  ::)

So, what- exactly - is it?

Sadly Ialso see that you are using your old favourites 'soon' 'not far away' etc

So just to be clear, how soon is 'soon'?

Definition of soon

a; obsolete :  at once :  immediately
b :  without undue time lapse :  before long <soon after sunrise>

Origin and Etymology of soon

Middle English soone, from Old English sōna; akin to Old High German sān immediately

Hi Seb...'soon', here, means, 'no one knows the hour or the day but Almighty God who resides in Heaven'. But we know that it is linked in with Wormwood...the lake of fire and brimstone...and this force appears to be a part of the Nemesis star system whose presence has suddenly come into sharp focus and is being blamed for global warming, magnetic disturbances and all the serious climate disturbance involving millions of people...but don't get concerned because you don't seem to want to change 'soon' enough...and your salvation demands that you do.

BeRational

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2016, 10:17:11 PM »
Since it appears you are unable to state what would convince you, I would suggest the problem could be that there is nothing that would convince you?

If I'm wrong here, why didn't you state what it is that would convince you?

I don't know what would.

Does your God know or is this something he cannot do?
I see gullible people, everywhere!

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2016, 01:54:00 AM »
Hi Seb...'soon', here, means, 'no one knows the hour or the day but Almighty God who resides in Heaven'.
So Nichorless, you have completely refined the common usage of a word.
 Why would you do that, it's not very honest of you is it?
Have you done it to put a false sense of urgency in your little dramas?

So next time why not be completely honest and don't use 'soon' or 'imminant' or any other overly dramatic language.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2016, 02:22:19 AM »
But we know that it is linked in with Wormwood...the lake of fire and brimstone...and this force appears to be a part of the Nemesis star system..........
In what way does it appear to be part of an as yet mythical star system?

whose presence has suddenly come into sharp focus
Suddenly?
When and by what means?

and is being blamed for global warming, magnetic disturbances and all the serious climate disturbance involving millions of people...
Who is blaming it and by what means have they proved that they are correct?

.but don't get concerned because you don't seem to want to change 'soon' enough.
Who says that I need to change anything?
But never mind, because if I use your meaning of soon, then soon enough could be anytime, couldn't it? ::)
Albert Einstein

NicholasMarks

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2016, 07:42:37 AM »
In what way does it appear to be part of an as yet mythical star system?

Suddenly?
When and by what means?
Who is blaming it and by what means have they proved that they are correct?
Who says that I need to change anything?
But never mind, because if I use your meaning of soon, then soon enough could be anytime, couldn't it? ::)

It's all in the Holy Bible Seb. It's an electric universe and requires special electric observance to compete in the violent power that it can exert. A righteous spirit would be a good start because it meets the promises of that Holy Book. You will get my meaning 'soon' enough.

floo

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2016, 08:26:56 AM »

Evil and hatred is what the god of the Bible thrives on, it is all evil if the deeds attributed to it were true.

torridon

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2016, 08:49:50 AM »
If you don't allow righteous teaching into your life why should Almighty God let you know he exists??

You would only argue against every point he makes and tell him plainly that your aggression against goodness is far superior to his more gentle attitude which fits neatly into his gentle science of repair and resurrection.

Best to just follow Jesus Christ knowing that faith in him incorporates a wonderful science in our daily lives.

That's just an argument for blindness and circularity  How do we correctly identify which 'righteous' teaching to follow ?  All you say is follow yours because you are correct, seemingly.  Any devout muslim will say that your teaching is far from righteous, including elements that are offensive to God.  My tip, for what it's worth, is not to be a follower at all, be your own man (or woman), be true to what seems true to you rather than to those who claim special privileged knowledge.

torridon

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2016, 08:56:28 AM »
I've not known anyone who has had an experience of God involving literally hearing him and/or seeing him/her and would be extremely worried about my health if I heard a voice or had a vision!  That sort of thing I've read about but not experienced and am quite sceptical of some of the stories that circulate.  Most of us don't look for that, frankly.  There are personal revelations, times when things fall into place;  I've heard it described as, "Walking through a door" which fits for me too.

That analogy works both ways.  Frankly, things started to make a whole lot more and simpler sense for me when I gave up trying to be a believer and accepted that there probably was no God.  No longer all those tortuous rationalisations trying to explain away the hiddenness of God, or why he permits evil or why he answers trivial prayers of some believers whilst ignoring dire suffering in others.  It all falls into place when you realise he isn't there.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2016, 09:08:29 AM »
That analogy works both ways.  Frankly, things started to make a whole lot more and simpler sense for me when I gave up trying to be a believer and accepted that there probably was no God.  No longer all those tortuous rationalisations trying to explain away the hiddenness of God, or why he permits evil or why he answers trivial prayers of some believers whilst ignoring dire suffering in others.  It all falls into place when you realise he isn't there.

Here is an answer I posted to another disbeliever on another site...it may help....

Your refusal to accept that we are living in an electric/spiritual universe where all the laws of physics have at their root electric/spiritual laws means you will have difficulty with anything I say. The fact that any religion exists at all is testimony that people suspect they have an electric/spiritual nature and try to express it in many different ways...but...the laws of physics that unify all the electric spiritual fundamental laws leads us to just one conclusion...the accurate teaching of Jesus Christ is the accurate teaching.

BashfulAnthony

« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2016, 09:21:49 AM »
Evil and hatred is what the god of the Bible thrives on, it is all evil if the deeds attributed to it were true.

You exhibit a good deal of hatred yourself with your denunciation of anyone who offends you as "scum."
BA.

Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.

It is my commandment that you love one another."

torridon

« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2016, 09:24:22 AM »
Here is an answer I posted to another disbeliever on another site...it may help....

Your refusal to accept that we are living in an electric/spiritual universe where all the laws of physics have at their root electric/spiritual laws means you will have difficulty with anything I say. The fact that any religion exists at all is testimony that people suspect they have an electric/spiritual nature and try to express it in many different ways...but...the laws of physics that unify all the electric spiritual fundamental laws leads us to just one conclusion...the accurate teaching of Jesus Christ is the accurate teaching.

I agree many people suspect they have a spiritual nature and I agree religions exist. I don't endorse your conclusion from that though, there are other possibilities.  For instance, these phenomena might be aspects of human psychology that had to develop to support our evolution across the bridge from dumb ape to sentient ape becoming increasingly aware of his mortality.  Or put another way, early hominids that did not espouse such habits of mind would have eliminated themselves from the gene pool through depression etc;  contemporary religious beliefs can hence be understood as examples of survivor bias.  For me, this is a bell that rings truer than all your electrical stuff.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:26:38 AM by torridon »

NicholasMarks

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2016, 09:39:08 AM »
You exhibit a good deal of hatred yourself with your denunciation of anyone who offends you as "scum."

Trying to help the very people you tell me that I regard as scum tells me that you are misinterpreting what I am saying else you think that the evil component that clearly exists in this world is not scum.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2016, 09:43:56 AM »
Trying to help the very people you tell me that I regard as scum tells me that you are misinterpreting what I am saying else you think that the evil component that clearly exists in this world is not scum.
Nick, BA was replying to Floo not you. Anyway good to see you posting again.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:49:59 AM by Nearly Sane »

NicholasMarks

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2016, 09:46:16 AM »
I agree many people suspect they have a spiritual nature and I agree religions exist. I don't endorse your conclusion from that though, there are other possibilities.  For instance, these phenomena might be aspects of human psychology that had to develop to support our evolution across the bridge from dumb ape to sentient ape becoming increasingly aware of his mortality.  Or put another way, early hominids that did not espouse such habits of mind would have eliminated themselves from the gene pool through depression etc;  contemporary religious beliefs can hence be understood as examples of survivor bias.  For me, this is a bell that rings truer than all your electrical stuff.

You are stuck on that old evolution thing which gives us no clues what-so-ever to  how the human being sprung from the loins of a monkey. Better to believe what the Holy Bible says, that Almighty God made us and made us fit for the the environment that had already supported life but had become void with darkness on the face of the watery deep. Then we can say that every expression we make is a spiritual/electric expression and this is what guides us...but Jesus Christ, who is far more advanced than us, guides us best.