Author Topic: Christian 'Mythology'.  (Read 39660 times)

trippymonkey

Christian 'Mythology'.
« on: December 19, 2016, 08:51:41 PM »
Does it exist?

Can certain types of Christian idea be construed as mythological in essence & maybe didn't actually happen 'on earth' or is it all to be taken as literally true ?!!!??

I'm pretty well up on Hindu mythology & its use to help understand many idea IN that religion but do ALL Christians just blindly accept & not try to look deeper?

Bit of a rhetorical question but....
What do we all feel about this?

Nick

Hope

• Tools With A Mission
Re: Christian 'Mythology'.
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 09:40:52 PM »
Does it exist?

Can certain types of Christian idea be construed as mythological in essence & maybe didn't actually happen 'on earth' or is it all to be taken as literally true ?!!!??

I'm pretty well up on Hindu mythology & its use to help understand many idea IN that religion but do ALL Christians just blindly accept & not try to look deeper?

Nick
I love the hidden agenda here - Nick ('just blindly accept ... look deeper')

I suspect that when we look deeper we find far more amazing truths within the Bible than many here would care to admit or accept.  That is partly why I and others here seek to challenge people's pre-conceived ideas about the Biblical record and the Christian faith.  Sadly, your 'hidden agenda' could apply equally to some of this board's greatest faith detractors.
Are your, or your friends'/relatives', garages, lofts or sheds full of unused DIY gear, sewing/knitting machines or fabric and haberdashery stuff?

Lists of what is needed and a search engine to find your nearest collector (scroll to bottom for latter) are here:  http://www.twam.uk/donate-tools

trippymonkey

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 09:58:03 PM »
Firstly NO hidden agendas at all.  ;)
It's perfectly clear what I'm on about so you've just proven my point - THANKS.  8) ::)

N

Rosindubh

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 10:57:37 PM »
Does it exist?

.......   do ALL Christians just blindly accept & not try to look deeper?

Nick

Hi Nick,
Thank you for the above post.   

A strength of the New Testament is that we have four gospels written by different authors, each with an independent mind set.   This enables us to make comparrisions between gospels and judge what is factual and what is not.

Matthew is not always factual, eg the Star of Bethlehem, thirty pieces of silver, Pilate washing his hands etc. which are extrapolations from OT passages, do not appear in other gospels, but supply a mystical lesson underlying the relevant event.

These are more like Aesop's fables, tales with a moral message, rather than myths.   So the answer to your question is that Christians do not just "blindly accept" and do "try to look deeper".

God bless

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 12:02:31 AM »
Does it exist?

Nick
Give us the Christian Mythology.
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

trippymonkey

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 09:00:44 AM »
Direct from the board's literalist !!!!!

This is precisely the question I'm asking !!! ::)

ad_orientem

• Russia delenda est
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 11:00:27 AM »
Mythology, no. Allegory, yes, and that is because allegory does not necessarily deny the literal, for something can be both literal and an allegory of something else.
Blessed are the Russophobes, for they will be called children of God. (J.C. - Sermon On The Mount)

trippymonkey

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 09:19:40 PM »
a o
Thanks for that. Mythology basically IS allegory anyway, isn't it?

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2016, 04:19:12 AM »
a o
Thanks for that. Mythology basically IS allegory anyway, isn't it?

Because you do not know the reason something exists does not deny the fact it does exist.
Unicorns are mythology because we have never seen them but the fact is that the knowledge of them, are a reason to believe they once existed even though we cannot prove it. Why you want to use the term mythology when it is a fact Christ existed I am unaware. So as I asked before give us the Christian mythology?
We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

trippymonkey

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2016, 08:49:28 AM »
S
You just answered your own question & very deftly I might add. !!!

floo

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2016, 08:52:06 AM »
Because you do not know the reason something exists does not deny the fact it does exist.
Unicorns are mythology because we have never seen them but the fact is that the knowledge of them, are a reason to believe they once existed even though we cannot prove it. Why you want to use the term mythology when it is a fact Christ existed I am unaware. So as I asked before give us the Christian mythology?

Does that go for fairies, elves, goblins, leprechauns, and the like?

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 09:07:13 AM »
That is a keeper.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

trippymonkey

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 09:31:33 AM »
Sass
MMM Christian mythology - we could start with your very own Jesus etc. ;)

NicholasMarks

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 10:03:06 AM »
Does it exist?

Nick

Unfortunately Christianity has been played round with and distorted by many different people and with many different motives but the 'word' remains intact...it just needs exploring accurately...as Jesus himself taught it...all other aspects of it are mythology.

Every organised group of people adopt some mythology because it appeals to a hidden nature of existence and tyrants and false teachers have been only too willing to take control of this vital inner urge and now there is another philosophy called atheism which needs to destroy all other myths for their own. But it is here accurate faith takes the lead. It incorporates this inner desire to find answers to the unknown by supplying those answers even though it is way above our understanding...but not to worry...it will all come out in the wash when accurate teaching is divorced from the myths by virtue of what could be described as another 'big-bang'.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 10:37:59 AM »
Unfortunately Christianity has been played round with and distorted by many different people and with many different motives
including yourself...... ::)
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

torridon

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2016, 10:38:52 AM »

Every organised group of people adopt some mythology because it appeals to a hidden nature of existence and tyrants and false teachers have been only too willing to take control of this vital inner urge and now there is another philosophy called atheism which needs to destroy all other myths for their own.

Wrong on all counts.

Atheism is not a philosophy, it is merely a rejection of theism.  Atheism has no myths, no scriptures, no teachers, no rituals, no agendas, no dogmas.  Atheism is merely a rejection of theism.

Read and learn.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2016, 11:08:16 AM »
Wrong on all counts.

Atheism is not a philosophy, it is merely a rejection of theism.  Atheism has no myths, no scriptures, no teachers, no rituals, no agendas, no dogmas.  Atheism is merely a rejection of theism.

Read and learn.

Atheism is in the eye of the beholder torridon and its high priest makes it clear Christianity is taboo whilst experts in the field find millions deprived of that emotional/spiritual welfare that the human body needs and demands one way or another...often by bullying it from others.

So ok...accurate Christian teaching delivers the goods but even iniquity flourishes because atheism is lame on emotional integrity. All tyrants have found it is better to pacify followers of Jesus Christ rather than hit them head-on and the reason is plain...they are, even, if, in only a very small way, following the way, the truth and the life of Jesus Christ.

floo

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 11:19:18 AM »
There is nothing 'accurate' about Christianity, it has given rise to so many different doctrines, dogmas, sects and cults, each claiming they have the elusive 'truth'.

torridon

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 11:34:10 AM »
Atheism is in the eye of the beholder torridon and its high priest makes it clear Christianity is taboo whilst experts in the field find millions deprived of that emotional/spiritual welfare that the human body needs and demands one way or another...often by bullying it from others.

So ok...accurate Christian teaching delivers the goods but even iniquity flourishes because atheism is lame on emotional integrity. All tyrants have found it is better to pacify followers of Jesus Christ rather than hit them head-on and the reason is plain...they are, even, if, in only a very small way, following the way, the truth and the life of Jesus Christ.

Still wrong on all counts.

Atheism is not a philosophy, it is merely a rejection of theism.  Atheism has no myths, no scriptures, no teachers, no priests, no rituals, no agendas, no dogmas.  Atheism is merely a rejection of theism.

Read and try harder to learn.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 11:44:06 AM »
Still wrong on all counts.

Atheism is not a philosophy, it is merely a rejection of theism.  Atheism has no myths, no scriptures, no teachers, no priests, no rituals, no agendas, no dogmas.  Atheism is merely a rejection of theism.

Read and try harder to learn.

If your rejection of theism involves attacking that theism then you are a counter theism...which is a theism in itself. To try and detach yourself from it is  little dishonest.

You are saying I don't believe in God so no one else must...you have made yourselves gods...and worse than that...you are trawling through every avenue open to you to get your patronage from...building your own converts to the adherence of the thinking of your high priest...hmmm I can't see much difference whatever you call it...except that I,like millions before me find an awful lot of truth in the pain, suffering and teaching of Jesus Christ...not forgetting that he showed how you and I can achieve resurrection if we abandon false gods...like yours.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 11:47:13 AM by NicholasMarks »

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 11:57:02 AM »
If your rejection of theism involves attacking that theism then you are a counter theism...which is a theism in itself. To try and detach yourself from it is  little dishonest.

You are saying I don't believe in God so no one else must...you have made yourselves gods...and worse than that...you are trawling through every avenue open to you to get your patronage from...building your own converts to the adherence of the thinking of your high priest...hmmm I can't see much difference whatever you call it...except that I,like millions before me find an awful lot of truth in the pain, suffering and teaching of Jesus Christ...not forgetting that he showed how you and I can achieve resurrection if we abandon false gods...like yours.
Who the fuck is this 'high priest' that you keep wittering on about?
Albert Einstein

torridon

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 12:02:57 PM »

Still mostly nonsense.  Saying atheism is a form of theism is akin to claiming that not playing scrabble is a sort of board game.  try again.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 12:29:11 PM »
Still mostly nonsense.  Saying atheism is a form of theism is akin to claiming that not playing scrabble is a sort of board game.  try again.

I suppose the point you are missing and I'm not expressing very clearly is that atheism is a belief system. The same as all myths are built around belief systems. You have no absolute proof for yours whereas I have a teacher who explained it all...a book that explains it all....a congregation that is held together by it all...a science that supports it all...a knowledge that advanced people have been visiting this planet and interacting with people since the year dot...some friendly and some, it seems,  hostile.

Thankfully, Almighty God has total authority over the lot but he has a requirement that we don't besmirch things we don't understand especially when an insight into his righteous teaching is only a book away.

torridon

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 12:44:24 PM »
I suppose the point you are missing and I'm not expressing very clearly is that atheism is a belief system. The same as all myths are built around belief systems. You have no absolute proof for yours whereas I have a teacher who explained it all...a book that explains it all....a congregation that is held together by it all...a science that supports it all...a knowledge that advanced people have been visiting this planet and interacting with people since the year dot...some friendly and some, it seems,  hostile.

Thankfully, Almighty God has total authority over the lot but he has a requirement that we don't besmirch things we don't understand especially when an insight into his righteous teaching is only a book away.

Oh dear, Nick, you're really not making much progress today.  Atheism is not a belief system; it is merely a position on a belief system, namely theism. Atheism does not itself consist of any beliefs.  Atheists do have beliefs of course, being human, but atheism per se is not a belief.

NicholasMarks

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 01:07:36 PM »
Oh dear, Nick, you're really not making much progress today.  Atheism is not a belief system; it is merely a position on a belief system, namely theism. Atheism does not itself consist of any beliefs.  Atheists do have beliefs of course, being human, but atheism per se is not a belief.

It doesn't matter how you duck and dive torridon, atheism...is a belief system and is so important to its adherents that they right books...put slogans on buses and are determined to  add even more nails to the resurrected body of our savior. Now you might wrap that up into a casual disbelief in a Deity but it is something else entirely. It is bordering on a religion to damn and condemn all other religions...because it suspects there is no God. But you are wrong and if you are wrong your entire religion is wrong.

God exists because his word is the only way this universe could have been programmed. It is coded by a simple, gentle, wonderful energy, that has always been and always will be and every scientific law has its first principle etched in its many behavior patterns. So you will all have to think again...but do it soon...because that Holy Book you condemn indicates that there is trouble brewing...not just by the forces that want to snatch this planet from Almighty God but from rogue planetary bodies that will leave a terrible dent in your religion.