Author Topic: How Did New Atheism Fail So Miserably?  (Read 16697 times)

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
Re: How Did New Atheism Fail So Miserably?
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2017, 08:47:33 PM »
Fallacy of the excluded middle. Both could be true.

I'm almost certain, btw that all of the people on this thread claiming New Atheism has failed are talking bollocks. For one thing, I doubt if any of them could find any person who describes themselves as New Atheist. The whole concept is a colossal straw man.
''I am not a New Atheist said the New Atheist''.
A New Atheist Jeremy is as described in the Wikipedia article based on  observed behaviour with regards to Secular Humanism, scientism, Antitheism and partially overlapping Magisteria. It is as does therefore.

Criticism from atheists provides enough satisfaction. But aside from criticism from atheists and the religious most people have not seriously criticised The four horsemen.  This is a worry I would imagine because it might be because they haven't been taken seriously.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 08:55:56 PM by 'andles for forks »
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

Walter

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2017, 09:11:08 PM »
Fallacy of the excluded middle. Both could be true.

I'm almost certain, btw that all of the people on this thread claiming New Atheism has failed are talking bollocks. For one thing, I doubt if any of them could find any person who describes themselves as New Atheist. The whole concept is a colossal straw man.
TBH I rarely exclude the middle , generally it's where most fun can be found 😂👍

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2017, 01:29:48 AM »
A New Atheist Jeremy is as described in the Wikipedia article based on  observed behaviour with regards to Secular Humanism, scientism, Antitheism and partially overlapping Magisteria. It is as does therefore.

Criticism from atheists provides enough satisfaction. But aside from criticism from atheists and the religious most people have not seriously criticised The four horsemen.  This is a worry I would imagine because it might be because they haven't been taken seriously.
So if New Atheism is a descriptive term based on certain traits that certain people display, it's a bit hard to claim it is failing since it can have no objectives.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Maeght

« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2017, 03:55:15 AM »
A New Atheist Jeremy is as described in the Wikipedia article based on  observed behaviour with regards to Secular Humanism, scientism, Antitheism and partially overlapping Magisteria. It is as does

That's not quite what it says on Wikipedia is it?

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2017, 06:34:37 AM »
So if New Atheism is a descriptive term based on certain traits that certain people display, it's a bit hard to claim it is failing since it can have no objectives.
Simple anthropology and psychology Jeremy.We behave in order to achieve objectives.
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2017, 06:36:11 AM »
That's not quite what it says on Wikipedia is it?
I'm afraid all these areas of New Atheist activity are discussed in the Wikipedia article.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2017, 06:36:38 AM »
Correlation is not causation. Being an atheist does not make you less susceptible to other mumbo jumbo, rather being atheist is just one consequence of a sceptical World view that leads you to reject leprechauns, fairies, flying saucers and magic.

But how do you know that all atheists reject fairies and magic and flying saucers?  From what all of you are saying ...atheists are just people who do not believe in a God!  Simple!  They might very well believe in spirits, after life, ghosts, magic, flying saucers etc. etc.

The problem is that you people are defining atheists both as a single set of people and also as a very diverse group of people. Both can't be true. 

SusanDoris

« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2017, 06:50:53 AM »
Thank you, JeremyP, and Maeght, for a positive and interesting start to Friday!
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2017, 06:53:10 AM »

But how do you know that all atheists reject fairies and magic and flying saucers?  From what all of you are saying ...atheists are just people who do not believe in a God!  Simple!  They might very well believe in spirits, after life, ghosts, magic, flying saucers etc. etc.

The problem is that you people are defining atheists both as a single set of people and also as a very diverse group of people. Both can't be true.
Post of the week.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2017, 07:00:25 AM »

Leaving aside flying saucers, which if demonstrably encountered would be natural, the rejection of supernatural claims in general (of gods or fairies) is on the basis that there are no good reasons to think they exist, given that the arguments offered to date by those claiming they do exist are all flawed.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2017, 07:01:01 AM »
Post of the week.

Then you are easily pleased, Vlad.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2017, 07:06:56 AM »
Leaving aside flying saucers, which if demonstrably encountered would be natural, the rejection of supernatural claims in general (of gods or fairies) is on the basis that there are no good reasons to think they exist, given that the arguments offered to date by those claiming they do exist are all flawed.

So...according to you...do all atheists reject all paranormal/supernatural claims besides not believing in God?!!

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »

So...according to you...do all atheists reject all paranormal/supernatural claims besides not believing in God?!!

No idea, since I can't speak for all atheists. However, if the arguments for ghosts are intrinsically the same as arguments for gods then I'd imagine, like me, they'd reject both - else they'd be inconsistent in their thinking.

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2017, 07:21:05 AM »
Then you are easily pleased, Vlad.
I think the chance of Sriram getting a sensible balanced ungrudging response is small but I applaud incisive critique which I suspect hits the spot.

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2017, 07:40:38 AM »
I think the chance of Sriram getting a sensible balanced ungrudging response is small but I applaud incisive critique which I suspect hits the spot.

Why I am not surprised that you think Sriram's post is 'incisive critique'.

Walter

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2017, 08:07:39 AM »
you highlight your inability to think critically if you think that

Shaker

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2017, 08:23:46 AM »
Post of the week.
Though not for the reasons you're thinking of.
Pain, or damage, don't end the world. Or despair, or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, and give some back. - Al Swearengen, Deadwood.

Stranger

• Lightly seared on the reality grill.
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2017, 08:44:24 AM »

Is this 'debate' still going on? It really isn't rocket science, you only need a dictionary and a few functioning neurons.

jeremyp's reply #49 should have ended it.

Atheism is, according to Oxford Dictionaries, disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

So, if you don't have a belief in the existence of any gods you are an atheist - regardless of any other beliefs you may hold about anything else.

There is a correlation between atheism and disbelief in other woo-woo because gods are a type of woo-woo and people who generally require reasoning or evidence in order to believe something, tend to reject gods along with all the rest. In other words, a general rejection of woo-woo is a sufficient but not necessary reason to be an atheist.

However, atheism itself is just not believing in any gods.

This is really, really, really simple!
x(∅ ∈ x ∧ ∀y(yxy ∪ {y} ∈ x))

Walter

« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2017, 08:50:54 AM »
Though not for the reasons you're thinking of.
this is a good example of two totally different ways of thinking which appear to be innate and unchangeable in my experience over the years and arguments between the two will continue ad infinitum. From my own experience there are very few converts either way , only poor thinking on one side and critical thinking on the other
I've been wondering why that is for many years now !

Maeght

« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2017, 09:32:43 AM »
Nowhere here does it say atheists don't believe in flying saucers, leprechauns and the like.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 09:58:53 AM by Maeght »

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2017, 09:42:32 AM »
Is this 'debate' still going on? It really isn't rocket science, you only need a dictionary and a few functioning neurons.

Atheism is, according to Oxford Dictionaries, disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

So, if you don't have a belief in the existence of any gods you are an atheist - regardless of any other beliefs you may hold about anything else.

There is a correlation between atheism and disbelief in other woo-woo because gods are a type of woo-woo and people who generally require reasoning or evidence in order to believe something, tend to reject gods along with all the rest. In other words, a general rejection of woo-woo is a sufficient but not necessary reason to be an atheist.

Post of the month!
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Maeght

« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2017, 09:43:32 AM »
I'm afraid all these areas of New Atheist activity are discussed in the Wikipedia article.

You said that the article gave a definition of New Atheism. It does in that it says 'advocate the view that superstition, religion and irrationalism should not simply be tolerated but should be countered, criticised and exposed by rational argument wherever their influence arises in government, education and politics.' This seems to me to bea fair definition of New Atheism. It then goes on to refer to New Atheism lending it self to and overlapping secularism and antitheism particularly in its criticism of indoctrination of children. This isn't a definition of New Atheism but an observation of some
overlap in behaviour. Your post shows you paranoia about New Atheism by lumping all that and more into a definition which is not reflected in the Wikipedia article.

Sebastian Toe

« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2017, 09:55:16 AM »
Your post shows you paranoia about New Atheism by lumping all that and more into a definition which is not reflected in the Wikipedia article.
Insightful observation of the week.
"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein

Enki

« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2017, 11:24:04 AM »

Hopefully the above post will have cleared up Sriram's confusion. :)
Sometimes I wish my first word was 'quote,' so that on my death bed, my last words could be 'end quote.'
Steven Wright

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2017, 11:37:38 AM »
Hopefully the above post will have cleared up Sriram's confusion. :)
Sriram's confusion is only that cultivated by New atheists who wish to avoid identification and responsibility for their utterances by coalescing, Slime Mould like, into a single entity which  ''Merely has disbelief in Gods'' when conditions get tough for them or dispersing as lone amoeboids which ever is most useful.