Author Topic: Just like Jesus  (Read 1221 times)

ProfessorDavey

Re: Just like Jesus
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2019, 08:20:17 AM »
No one should lose their job because of a speeding ticket.
Really - even someone whose job involves driving?

But on the case in point the speeding wasn't the issue - it was perverting the course of justice which was the serious charge.

Littleroses

« Reply #126 on: February 09, 2019, 08:30:40 AM »
Really - even someone whose job involves driving?

But on the case in point the speeding wasn't the issue - it was perverting the course of justice which was the serious charge.

And she deserved her punishment, imo.
“Our life’s imprint should not be a blot on the landscape.” RJG

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #127 on: February 09, 2019, 08:43:30 AM »
And she deserved her punishment, imo.
I agree.

The question (I guess) isn't about service her sentence but the effect on her position as an MP. As far as I'm aware as her sentence is less than 1 year she isn't obliged to stand-down, although her constituents can raise a trigger petition that could trigger a by-election. However that cannot happen until her right to appeal has been exhausted.

Littleroses

« Reply #128 on: February 09, 2019, 11:31:12 AM »
I agree.

The question (I guess) isn't about service her sentence but the effect on her position as an MP. As far as I'm aware as her sentence is less than 1 year she isn't obliged to stand-down, although her constituents can raise a trigger petition that could trigger a by-election. However that cannot happen until her right to appeal has been exhausted.

Surely anyone who is sent down, for however long, shouldn't be permitted to serve as an MP.   
“Our life’s imprint should not be a blot on the landscape.” RJG

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #129 on: February 09, 2019, 01:02:11 PM »

Surely anyone who is sent down, for however long, shouldn't be permitted to serve as an MP.   
That's what the law currently says.

I think the argument is that an MP is accountable to their electorate in terms of their 'job' and therefore, within limits, it is only the electorate who can kick them out rather than them being sacked for an offence.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2019, 10:05:00 AM »
Not really fair, Jeremyp,

The 12 month prison sentence would only come if you did what she did.
Why and how can you deny a speeding ticket. Different horses for different courses.   Who made the laws?  Well it wasn't us.  But she should not try and pervert the course of Justice. 
No one should lose their job because of a speeding ticket. Sometimes mercy needs to be shown hardly a massive crime a speeding ticket.  The MP's get away with fraud on a regular basis when they complete their expense sheet. Can they point the finger over a speeding ticket denial?
She didn’t get put in prison for a speeding ticket, she got put in prison for perverting the course of justice, which is a serious offense, much more serious than the one she was trying to avoid.

This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply