Author Topic: The five best books on Witches and Witchcraft  (Read 3141 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
The five best books on Witches and Witchcraft
« on: November 01, 2019, 09:55:38 AM »
As recommended by Diane Purkiss

https://fivebooks.com/best-books/witches-diane-purkiss/

Fascinating set, and really interesting article.

SteveH

• From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free!
True godliness don't turn men out of the world, but enables them to live better in it, and excites their endeavours to mend it.
William Penn

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: The five best books on Witches and Witchcraft
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 02:49:52 PM »

The first one sounds really interesting. I'll put it on my "to read" list I think.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Owlswing

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2020, 08:12:47 AM »

Sorry for the lateness of this response, but, Hey-ho, better late than never!

I only have one problem with anything Craft that is proposed by Diane Purkiss, I cannot, for the moment, find the exact book or article from which it comes, but she dismisses the Burning Times (1430-1730 appox) as the modern witch's attempt to provide themselves with a Holocaust designed to create a faux-history and sympathy for their re-emergence from the darkness!

Most of this woman's output is political feminism and her dislike of and contemp for modern witches, particularly the militant American version, is blindingly obvious!

Note to self: As soon as lock-down has ended get your arse back to the British Library and re-create all the research that you did years ago and finish the project!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

SteveH

True godliness don't turn men out of the world, but enables them to live better in it, and excites their endeavours to mend it.
William Penn

Owlswing

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 03:34:23 PM »

https://www.earlymodernengland.com/2014/02/the-malleus-maleficarum-and-king-james-defining-witchcraft/

And your point is?

The term 'The Burning Times' has no relevance whatsoever in England. Only one witch was ever burned in England and that post-mortem. The punishment for being a witch in England was hanging or drowning. Burning was the punishment in Catholic countries as the punishment for Heresy.

Kramer used the, manufactured by the Inquisition, agreement between the 'witch' and the Devil in exchange for receiving her powers to ensure that witchcraft was determined to be heresy, prior to the re-definition, witches had not been burned as it was not considered heresy before that time and thus the Iquisition was not allowed to prosecute (persecute?) witches until Pope Alexander confirmed, officially, Kramer and Spengler's (the writers of the Malleus) contention that it was so.

Purkiss' book, referred to in my previous post, is "The Witch in History - Early Modern and Twentieth Century representations - Routledge London 1996   
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

SteveH

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2020, 06:31:33 AM »
And your point is?
Sarcasm. Witchcraft is superstitious balderdash.
William Penn

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2020, 09:22:45 AM »

You do realise that is only going to invite accusations of the pot calling the kettle?
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Owlswing

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2020, 01:09:04 PM »

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, just as I am entitled to mine.

Mine is that Christianity is based upon a book that contains four accounts by apostles that contradict each other, that records a flood that has no basis in fact etc etc.

I have told you before, but as usual you are totally deaf to anyone except youyrself and other believers in your bullshit religion because you insist that YOUR religion is Fact when, as with mine it is only a matter of faith not fact.

Substitute "Christianity" for "Witchcraft" in your statement above and I will agree wholeheartedly with it! 
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 01:29:36 PM by Owlswing »