Author Topic: Face masks - the case against  (Read 4499 times)

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
Re: Face masks - the case against
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2020, 10:08:53 AM »
If a mask protects other people from my germs, I fail to see how it can fail to protect me from other people's germs. If it forms an effective barrier in one direction, why doesn't it in the other direction?
Because when you breathe out, the droplets containing the virus are either captured by the mask which they hit straight away or redirected upwards where they condense on your specs (at least that is how it seems to me).

When you breathe in, the air tens to come in round the sides of the mask not through it.
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

SteveH

• From the river to the sea, Palestine will be free!
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2020, 10:17:19 AM »
Because when you breathe out, the droplets containing the virus are either captured by the mask which they hit straight away or redirected upwards where they condense on your specs (at least that is how it seems to me).

When you breathe in, the air tens to come in round the sides of the mask not through it.
Why doesn't my breath go out round the sides? I remain unconvinced. They are not 100% effective, but they must logically provide some protection both to others and to the wearer.
True godliness don't turn men out of the world, but enables them to live better in it, and excites their endeavours to mend it.
William Penn

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2020, 11:34:19 AM »
If a mask protects other people from my germs, I fail to see how it can fail to protect me from other people's germs. If it forms an effective barrier in one direction, why doesn't it in the other direction?

https://www.truthorfiction.com/wear-your-mask-the-urine-test-analogy-meme/

"A meme likening the purpose of coronavirus masks to protecting from a random wild urinaters accurately describes the purpose of coronavirus mask recommendations."
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2020, 11:40:19 AM »
Thanks for posting that Udayana, the very same meme came to my head whilst reading this thread.  ;D
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Owlswing

« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 02:17:55 PM »

Thanks for posting that Udayana, the very same meme came to my head whilst reading this thread.  ;D

An analogy the truth of which even the thickest, even the freakin' Yanks, cannot fail to see!
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

ad_orientem

• Russia delenda est
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2020, 02:55:08 PM »

Exactly.
Blessed are the Russophobes, for they will be called children of God. (J.C. - Sermon On The Mount)

ippy

« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2020, 04:48:07 PM »
Exactly.

I'm sure there's no 100% answer to this blasted virus but I'll go with anything that even slightly improves our chances of surviving and I'll go with Blokey Mc B on this one too.

ippy.

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2020, 10:47:24 PM »
An analogy the truth of which even the thickest, even the freakin' Yanks, cannot fail to see!

It might interest you to know that the UK and the USA are recorded as being at the same level of compliance for wearing masks in public - around 75%. So your depiction of Americans as being thick on that basis is incorrect, although viewing the evening news I can see how you might conclude that they don't comply. That, I suspect, is a fault of news organisations and their agendas rather than the fault of the people of the USA.

Incidentally, Germany usually held up as an exemplar in Covid matters only achieves 65%. Still those freakin' Krauts, eh?

Figures available here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Face_masks_during_the_COVID-19_pandemic
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Outrider

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2020, 10:11:25 AM »

It theoretically reduces the range of dispersal - once someone else's germs are at the front of your mask, anything you breathe in is only going to one place, but when you breathe out the mask disrupts the air flow, and limits how far your germs spread.

It's a minor effect - there is some degree of capture within the fabic, but not much - but over a large population that minor effect adds up to significant gains in absolute terms, but only a small 'percentage' difference.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

SteveH

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2020, 05:17:34 PM »

I noticed today, wearing a cloth mask, that when I breathed in, the material moved inwards towards my mouth and nose, s obviously most of the air is going through the mask.
True godliness don't turn men out of the world, but enables them to live better in it, and excites their endeavours to mend it.
William Penn

Udayana

• βε ηερε νοω
    • The Byrds - My Back Pages
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2020, 02:39:42 PM »
I noticed today, wearing a cloth mask, that when I breathed in, the material moved inwards towards my mouth and nose, s obviously most of the air is going through the mask.

Yes, of-course - along with any covid-19 viruses not in droplets large enough to be captured by a mask, fall to the ground, or blown away out of your immediate area. It all depends on the size of the droplets and how long small droplets can linger  - the protection is not absolute but probabilistic.     
Ah, but I was so much older then ... I'm younger than that now

SteveH

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2020, 09:20:31 PM »
Yes, of-course - along with any covid-19 viruses not in droplets large enough to be captured by a mask, fall to the ground, or blown away out of your immediate area. It all depends on the size of the droplets and how long small droplets can linger  - the protection is not absolute but probabilistic.     
I know they're not 100% effective, but if they are effective at all, they must be so in both directions.
William Penn

Outrider

« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2020, 08:43:06 AM »
I know they're not 100% effective, but if they are effective at all, they must be so in both directions.

Technically, yes, but to vastly differing degrees.  Part of the effect 'outbound' is the fact that the droplets are dispersed more - passing through the cloth causes turbulence which both widens and shortens the dispersal pattern.  BY contrast, on the in-breath, your physique tends to channel everything one way, and although the mask will capture a few tiny element most will still pass through, and if everyone else is wearing masks then the majority of particles too big to pass through your mask have already been caught on theirs.

O.
Universes are forever, not just for creation...

New Atheism - because, apparently, there's a use-by date on unanswered questions.

Eminent Pedant, Interpreter of Heretical Writings, Unwarranted Harvester of Trite Nomenclature, Church of Debatable Saints

SteveH

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2020, 09:50:38 AM »
Technically, yes, but to vastly differing degrees.  Part of the effect 'outbound' is the fact that the droplets are dispersed more - passing through the cloth causes turbulence which both widens and shortens the dispersal pattern.  BY contrast, on the in-breath, your physique tends to channel everything one way, and although the mask will capture a few tiny element most will still pass through, and if everyone else is wearing masks then the majority of particles too big to pass through your mask have already been caught on theirs.

O.
Thank you - a sensible explanation, at last, of why they are much more effective at protecting others than the wearer! That's all I wanted, because, while it's easy to understand when explained, it isn't obvious.
William Penn

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2020, 10:50:23 AM »
No. Obviously it is not.

The moving in is caused by a difference in pressure between the two sides. i.e. the air molecules are hitting the mask and bouncing off, not going straight through.

If the mask was made of fishnet would it move in as much as if it were made of polythene?
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

Dicky Underpants

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2020, 05:10:28 PM »

O.
May I also thank you for that helpful and lucid explanation.
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous.”

Le Bon David

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2020, 11:42:19 PM »
Here is a Slow Mo Guys video about wearing masks. I think it shuts down the argument against  mask wearing completely.

https://youtu.be/gZ66wJFD3bs

Also there’s an interview with a special guest.

Owlswing

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2020, 12:26:44 AM »

Here is a Slow Mo Guys video about wearing masks. I think it shuts down the argument against masks wearing completely.

https://youtu.be/gZ66wJFD3bs

Also, there’s an interview with a special guest.

If you do not wear a mask, watch this video; if you do wear one, tell everyone you know who doesn't to watch it!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 02:18:22 AM by Owlswing »
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

Owlswing

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2020, 02:20:52 AM »

Thank you - a sensible explanation, at last, of why they are much more effective at protecting others than the wearer! That's all I wanted, because, while it's easy to understand when explained, it isn't obvious.

You want obvious? Watch the video in #41!

SteveH

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2020, 07:35:06 AM »
You want obvious? Watch the video in #41!
I'd like to, but it isn't working on my laptop.
William Penn

Owlswing

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2020, 10:56:09 AM »

I'd like to, but it isn't working on my laptop.

How much more convenient could that be?!

SteveH

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2020, 11:55:49 AM »
How much more convenient could that be?!
What is that supposed to mean?
William Penn

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2020, 01:32:47 PM »
What is that supposed to mean?

It means it's just a standard youtube video and it's highly unlikely that a random laptop will be unable to play it.

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2020, 02:55:43 PM »
It means it's just a standard youtube video and it's highly unlikely that a random laptop will be unable to play it.
Why would that be 'convenient'?

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2020, 06:14:12 PM »
Why would that be 'convenient'?
Owlswing is insinuating that Beyoncé Castle is lying about being able to watch the video  so he can continue to deny that masks are effective.