Author Topic: Hagia Sophia: World Council of Churches appeals to Turkey on mosque decision  (Read 2140 times)

Nearly Sane

• Administrator

Turkey can obviously make Hagia Sophia a mosque but it is disappointing that this happens. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-53375739

ad_orientem

• Russia delenda est
Damn shame! Justinian is turning in his grave.
Blessed are the Russophobes, for they will be called children of God. (J.C. - Sermon On The Mount)

Robbie

Horrible that the World Council of Churches appeals to Turkey ? Inevitable but pointless I would say.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Horrible that the World Council of Churches appeals to Turkey ? Inevitable but pointless I would say.
Did you mean 'disappointing' rather than horrible? In that I thought it was disappointing that they had appealed? If so, then no, sorry for being unclear. It's disappointing that something that symbolised Turkey's secular approach taken by Ataturk is being removed as that.

Robbie

Yes I did mean 'disappointing', dunno why I said, 'horrible'.
I get you.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

The Accountant, OBE, KC

It's unfortunate. It's been suggested that Erdogan is trying to get political votes from his conservative and nationalist supporters while Turkey is going through inflation and economic uncertainty caused by coronavirus. Typical political stunts pulled by governments - this decision has increased tensions with Greece.

The Hagia Sophia case was that Ataturk's cabinet had acted illegally in 1934 by converting it from a mosque to a museum as it was the property of Sultan Mehmed II. Hagia Sophia was turned into a mosque after the 1453 conquest of Constantinople by Sultan Mehmed II after 900-years of it being a Byzantine church.

“It was concluded that the settlement deed allocated it as a mosque and its use outside this character is not possible legally,” the Council of State, Turkey's top administrative court in Ankara, said in its ruling.

There's just been another case, with some similarities to the Hagia Sophia decision, heard in the Turkish courts to cancel the museum status of Istanbul's Kariye Museum, another Orthodox church, that became a mosque half a century after the 1453 conquest of Constantinople and then a museum after WW2. This courts have allowed the museum to be turned back into a mosque.

Apparently it is expected that the ancient mosaics depicting Christian figures in the site will be covered with curtains during Muslim prayers, just like how it’s now being done at the Hagia Sophia. Let's hope that tourists will still get to see the mosaics and walk around when prayers aren't being conducted.
The Shaolin kick-boxing expert formerly known as VG. Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi