Author Topic: Deepavali  (Read 1097 times)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
Deepavali
« on: November 13, 2020, 01:21:38 PM »
Hi everyone,

Today (and tomorrow) is Deepavali...the Festival of Lights. Deepavali means 'Row of Lights'.  It is the day Lord Rama is believed to have returned to his kingdom after killing the evil King Ravana of Sri Lanka about 3500 years ago.

We take it as the day we should conquer the evil  within us and bring out the goodness  that often lies dormant in us.  Hindu festivals are usually a time of self renewal and introspection.

We light lamps, wear new dresses, socialize, exchange sweets, seek the blessings of God and elders. We also light crackers and fireworks. But fireworks and crackers are being increasingly discouraged due to pollution and noise. They are significantly reduced in recent years.  Its now more about lighting lamps, praying  and socializing.

A little subdued this year due to Covid.

Happy Deepavali to all of you!

Best Wishes.

Sriram

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
Re: Deepavali
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 01:41:42 PM »
Yes, I have wishing Happy Deepavali to many colleagues in the last day or so as they take some well earned annual leave. Happy Deepavali to you, Sriram.

The Accountant, OBE, KC

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 09:12:01 PM »
Happy Deepavali Sriram.

I wished my parents Happy Deepavali as well, though I do not remember them doing much in the way of celebration when I was a child. I remember when my kids were younger they came over a few times with sparklers and fireworks.

As you say, noise pollution concerns and Covid means celebrations seem fairly subdued in London too. 
The Shaolin kick-boxing expert formerly known as VG. Quite handy with weapons - available for hire to defeat money laundering crooks around the world.

“Forget safety. Live where you fear to live.” Rumi

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 04:54:01 AM »

Thanks a lot Nearly Sane and Gabriella...!  :)

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 04:57:11 AM »
Happy Deepavali Sriram.

I wished my parents Happy Deepavali as well, though I do not remember them doing much in the way of celebration when I was a child. I remember when my kids were younger they came over a few times with sparklers and fireworks.

As you say, noise pollution concerns and Covid means celebrations seem fairly subdued in London too.

Yes, I remember that you are born a Hindu and converted to Islam later.  You are also from South India, I think.

No problem with religion. Anyone can celebrate Deepavali.  :D

torridon

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 07:44:11 AM »
Happy Deepavali Sriram  ;)

Aruntraveller

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2020, 09:15:49 AM »
I  add my wishes for a Happy Deepavali Sririam
Before we work on Artificial Intelligence shouldn't we address the problem of natural stupidity.

Sriram

• Spirituality & Science
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2020, 09:57:06 AM »

Thanks a lot torridon and Trent..!  Just finished a festive lunch...:D