Author Topic: You only need to believe...  (Read 1944 times)

SusanDoris

The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

Owlswing

The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Robbie

Re: You only need to believe...
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 10:58:37 PM »
It doesn't surprise me either as it is in America. I suppose the students believe they are telling the truth.

No such 'law' would be passed here and we have some 6 day creationists. I wonder how they deal with such questions.
True Wit is Nature to Advantage drest,
          What oft was Thought, but ne’er so well Exprest

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
    • Atheist Annotated Bible
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 12:02:49 PM »
You guys are so naïve. It's always funny when so called "scientific" atheists are demonstrated to be as ignorant and uninformed as everyone else. At least there was one person in the comments section of the ridiculous article who bothered to read the alleged law and question the claim being made. Science my ass. So called science minded atheists are idiots with an agenda just like the Christians most of them were before becoming foam at the mouth secularists.
“Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.” ― Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 12:24:56 PM »
TS,

You guys are so naïve. It's always funny when so called "scientific" atheists are demonstrated to be as ignorant and uninformed as everyone else. At least there was one person in the comments section of the ridiculous article who bothered to read the alleged law and question the claim being made. Science my ass. So called science minded atheists are idiots with an agenda just like the Christians most of them were before becoming foam at the mouth secularists.

Yes you've demonstrated your antipathy to science before, which presumably survives only until the point you actually need its fruits to heat your home, fly you to Hawaii or save your life. If you think "so called "scientific" atheists are demonstrated to be as ignorant and uninformed as everyone else" though then why not actually demonstrate that rather than just assert it to be so? 
"Don't make me come down there."

God

Roses

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 02:25:32 PM »

It is you who appears to be naive and not have a clue what you are talking about! ::)
“What seems like a good idea at the time, more often than not bites the dust spectacularly” RJG

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 10:35:40 PM »
TS,

Yes you've demonstrated your antipathy to science before, which presumably survives only until the point you actually need its fruits to heat your home, fly you to Hawaii or save your life. If you think "so called "scientific" atheists are demonstrated to be as ignorant and uninformed as everyone else" though then why not actually demonstrate that rather than just assert it to be so?

It is interesting that in the US the current "plandemic" "science" is the new voodoo religion that mustn't be questioned whereas in the UK there are dissenting  voices. I don't listen to the American fake news but I've been listening to those voices from the UK on the YouTube. For the most part. There is Tom Woods here in the states.

Julia Hartley-Brewer on Triggernometry

Tom Woods
“Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.” ― Frank Herbert, Chapterhouse: Dune

SusanDoris

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 07:01:36 AM »
It is interesting that in the US the current "plandemic" "science" is the new voodoo religion that mustn't be questioned whereas in the UK there are dissenting  voices. I don't listen to the American fake news but I've been listening to those voices from the UK on the YouTube. For the most part. There is Tom Woods here in the states.

Tom Woods
I hope bluehillside responds to that because as far as I can see, it makes no sense at all and does not seem to respond to his post.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 07:07:12 AM by Gordon »
The Most Honourable Sister of Titular Indecision.

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 10:43:23 AM »
TS,

Tom Woods

Back in the day a liar or an ignoramus was just treated as a liar or an ignoramus – an unintended product of the internet though is that such people have created communities of like-minded believers that have become self-sustaining as each baseless claim is picked up, amplified and reinforced. Suddenly we see the re-emergence of flat earther, moon landing denier, anti-vaxxer etc communities convinced of their rightness, and that we’d all see it too but for mysterious global organisations (eg the Bilderberg Group) intent on suppressing their insights.

In the US 260,000 + and counting people have died of Covid-related illness while your president has been asleep at the wheel, various mask-free events have been broadcast only for multiple participants to come down with it (“super-spreader” events), and there have been some 12.8m cases in total. If you want to call reputable sources “fake news” and instead decide that outliers posting videos on YouTube are the real deal then you need to explain why. Of course science can be challenged – the whole enterprise relies on challenge after all so as to validate and test its theories – but if you want to challenge science you have to play on science’s turf. This means presenting facts and evidence, and developing the reason-based counter-arguments they support.         

Instead though what happens is that outliers throw out their assertions on You Tube, then claim that science is some sort of global conspiracy that won’t give them a fair hearing. I sense that you’re lost to reason, but if nothing else ask yourself this: cui bono? Who benefits? Why would someone with the massive assets necessary to put in place a global system of suppression designed to stop you going to the mall without a face mask do that when, presumably, he could invest his money in more profitable enterprises?       
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 11:28:13 AM by bluehillside Retd. »

God

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 11:48:04 AM »

Tom Woods
Juliet Brewer is a mere hack and has no training in this at all.
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2020, 11:52:23 AM »

Tom Woods

Tom woods is a libertarian.....Oh, and I DID say that as though it were a bad thing.
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

bluehillside Retd.

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2020, 01:02:19 PM »
Vlad,

Juliet Brewer is a mere hack and has no training in this at all.

But have you forgotten already that Michael Gove told us we’ve had enough of experts? Experts schmexperts right?

It’s a feature of evidence deniers that they will often cite commentators with no expertise at all to debunk the findings of people whose life work is to understand these things. We see it here sometimes re the Theory of Evolution: “But here’s a professor of aeronautical engineering (who also just happens to be a religious fundie) who says it’s not true, therefore…”  etc.       

God

ProfessorDavey

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2020, 04:17:07 PM »

Tom Woods
Julia Hartley-Brewer is a right wing nut-job. As far as I am aware she has no qualification to speak on the science of pandemics as she has no expertise in the topic. If you want to know about pandemic science ask a scientist with expertise in pandemics, not a publicity seeking journalist.

And the 'voodoo religion' that you speak of is the evidence based rational research that has developed at least three vaccines that are safe and effective and are the only thing that will get us out of this nightmare.

So when you can freely go about your business again because we have defeated the virus as enough people have been vaccinated, go thank the scientists.

Roses

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 04:37:19 PM »
Julia Hartley-Brewer is a right wing nut-job. As far as I am aware she has no qualification to speak on the science of pandemics as she has no expertise in the topic. If you want to know about pandemic science ask a scientist with expertise in pandemics, not a publicity seeking journalist.

And the 'voodoo religion' that you speak of is the evidence based rational research that has developed at least three vaccines that are safe and effective and are the only thing that will get us out of this nightmare.

So when you can freely go about your business again because we have defeated the virus as enough people have been vaccinated, go thank the scientists.

Hear! Hear!
“What seems like a good idea at the time, more often than not bites the dust spectacularly” RJG

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2020, 07:06:18 PM »
Vlad,

But have you forgotten already that Michael Gove told us we’ve had enough of experts? Experts schmexperts right?

It’s a feature of evidence deniers that they will often cite commentators with no expertise at all to debunk the findings of people whose life work is to understand these things. We see it here sometimes re the Theory of Evolution: “But here’s a professor of aeronautical engineering (who also just happens to be a religious fundie) who says it’s not true, therefore…”  etc.     
I’m sorry I think you have me mistaken for somebody else.

Theoretical Skeptic

• Bible Believer
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 02:30:09 PM »
Vlad,

Uh-huh. Barrington Declaration

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 02:39:21 PM »

ad_orientem

• Russia delenda est
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2020, 06:32:49 PM »
Uh-huh. Barrington Declaration

Ah! Herd immunity argument again. Hasn't this been debunked enough already?
Blessed are the Russophobes, for they will be called children of God. (J.C. - Sermon On The Mount)

Sebastian Toe

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends.'
Albert Einstein