YECs
« on: October 28, 2015, 09:01:07 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 02:16:21 PM by Nearly Sane »

Walt Zingmatilder

• PAY THE NURSES!
Re: YECs
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2015, 09:06:55 AM »
I realise quite a few Christians believe in the creation story in the Bible to be factual. Out of interest how many on this frum believe that the earth is no more than 10,000 years old at most?

When I was a young teenager, I asked the YEC pastor of the Pentecostal church, I was unfortunate enough to attend, where dinosaurs fitted into his young earth belief. The man said that the deity had put them there as a test of faith! My faith took a serious nose dive after that ludicrous statement!

So it all hinged on dinosaurs and one pastor then?
Brains evolved the capacity to integrate multiple multi modal sensory input streams into a single experiential flow eons ago...

floo

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2015, 11:27:30 AM »
I realise quite a few Christians believe in the creation story in the Bible to be factual. Out of interest how many on this frum believe that the earth is no more than 10,000 years old at most?

When I was a young teenager, I asked the YEC pastor of the Pentecostal church, I was unfortunate enough to attend, where dinosaurs fitted into his young earth belief. The man said that the deity had put them there as a test of faith! My faith took a serious nose dive after that ludicrous statement!

So it all hinged on dinosaurs and one pastor then?

No of course not, but that was when I seriously began to think about the credibility of the faith in general.

Spud

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 12:53:59 PM »
I'm open to the universe being billions of years old, Floo. The speed of light suggests that it is. But there are many seemingly simple things that need explaining, such as how did the moon get into its present orbit. When I started a thread about this a few years ago, all of the mechanisms suggested by scientists were shown in a YEC article to be impossible.

Dinosaurs are extinct. Evolutionists tell us that birds are their descendants. However, Theropods, the supposed ancestors of birds, "fail as stratomorphic intermediates, occurring much too late in the stratigraphic record to serve as the ancestors of birds" (http://creation.com/bird-evolution-discontinuities-and-reversals). I am a 'dinosaur-to-bird evolution denier' and ditto for apes-to-man, fish-to-amphibians etc. I do recognize microevolution though.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 01:35:25 PM »
 I do recognize microevolution though. :)

Yes we all do, but it is light years, separate from evolution.

~TNTW~ ;)
" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
    • Sincere Flattery: A blog about computing
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 01:45:59 PM »
I'm open to the universe being billions of years old, Floo. The speed of light suggests that it is.
And other things too like the cosmic microwave background radiation, the rate of expansion of the Universe, the geology of Earth and even evolution.

But there are many seemingly simple things that need explaining, such as how did the moon get into its present orbit.

The current best hypothesis is that the Moon formed as a result of the impact when a Mars sized planet collided with the proto-Earth.

When I started a thread about this a few years ago, all of the mechanisms suggested by scientists were shown in a YEC article to be impossible.
I seriously doubt that. YEC believers are generally incompetent at science.

Dinosaurs are extinct. Evolutionists tell us that birds are their descendants. However, Theropods, the supposed ancestors of birds, "fail as stratomorphic intermediates, occurring much too late in the stratigraphic record to serve as the ancestors of birds" (http://creation.com/bird-evolution-discontinuities-and-reversals).
Do you understand what that even means?

The article, by the way, was published 12 years ago. Since then, more evidence has been found in favour of the link between dinosaurs and birds, not least of which is the fact that many therapods had feathers.

I am a 'dinosaur-to-bird evolution denier' and ditto for apes-to-man, fish-to-amphibians etc. I do recognize microevolution though.
You can deny all you like, but you might as well deny that the Earth is round. You can't change the fact that the Theory of Evolution is true.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 05:02:56 PM by jeremyp »
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.
*Platinum infallibility package, terms and conditions may apply

Red Giant

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 01:57:10 PM »
many therapies had feathers.
If we were truly evolved, we wouldn't have spell-chuckers.

floo

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 02:40:21 PM »
The Theory of Evolution might need tweaking a bit as our knowledge continues to increase, but it makes sense whereas the YEC position makes none whatsoever.

~TW~

• home sweet home
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 04:00:03 PM »
I'm open to the universe being billions of years old, Floo. The speed of light suggests that it is.
And other things too like the cosmic microwave background radiation, the rate of expansion of the Universe, the geology of Earth and even evolution.

But there are many seemingly simple things that need explaining, such as how did the moon get into its present orbit.

The current best hypothesis is that the Moon formed as a result of the impact when a Mars sized planet collided with the proto-Earth.

When I started a thread about this a few years ago, all of the mechanisms suggested by scientists were shown in a YEC article to be impossible.

Dinosaurs are extinct. Evolutionists tell us that birds are their descendants. However, Theropods, the supposed ancestors of birds, "fail as stratomorphic intermediates, occurring much too late in the stratigraphic record to serve as the ancestors of birds" (http://creation.com/bird-evolution-discontinuities-and-reversals).

The article, by the way, was published 12 years ago. Since then, more evidence has been found in favour of the link between dinosaurs and birds, not least of which is the fact that many therapies had feathers.

I am a 'dinosaur-to-bird evolution denier' and ditto for apes-to-man, fish-to-amphibians etc. I do recognize microevolution though.
You can deny all you like, but you might as well deny that the Earth is round. You can't change the fact that the Theory of Evolution is true.

Junk Post says  Theory of Evolution is true..but we have to save the lion/tiger/elephant/and uncle tom cobbly and all because evolution seems to have stopped.

but did it ever start  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
" Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs/George Burns

floo

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 04:04:25 PM »

The article, by the way, was published 12 years ago. Since then, more evidence has been found in favour of the link between dinosaurs and birds, not least of which is the fact that many therapies had feathers.

Junk Post says  Theory of Evolution is true..but we have to save the lion/tiger/elephant/and uncle tom cobbly and all because evolution seems to have stopped.

Well as we are here, and have evolved to be what we are today, I would say a resounding YES! TW are you a YEC?

Owlswing

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 04:35:38 PM »

Theory of Evolution is true..but we have to save the lion/tiger/elephant/and uncle tom cobbly and all because evolution seems to have stopped.

I cannot be certain that you are actually asking the question but surely for evolution to occur there must be species for it to follow-on from - that is not very well put is it? I mean how can elephants (etc) evolve if there are no elephants (etc) to evolve into something else?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:56:50 PM by Owlswing »
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 05:06:20 PM »
many therapies had feathers.
If we were truly evolved, we wouldn't have spell-chuckers.
Many years ago one of our administrators, typing up a document about certain dumb terminals changed "wand interface" (a plug for attaching a bar code reading wand into a keyboard) into "wank interference" because it wasn't flagged by the spell checker.

Anyway, I fixed "theropods".
This post and all of JeremyP's posts words certified 100% divinely inspired* -- signed God.

jeremyp

• Admin Support
  • Blurb
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2015, 05:07:23 PM »

Can you try writing your posts in English?

Gordon

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2015, 05:23:12 PM »

It did start, else we wouldn't be here, and it hasn't stopped.

floo

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2015, 05:49:40 PM »

I think evolution is an on going process, who knows what humans will be like in centuries to come?

Nearly Sane

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »

I think evolution is an on going process, who knows what humans will be like in centuries to come?
centuries in human evolution are mere sneezes.

Red Giant

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2015, 08:08:11 PM »
Extinct, almost certainly.  Almost everything will be extinct.  In 50 million years the earth will be dominated by the descendants of some obscure bird or something.

Maeght

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2015, 08:23:21 PM »

More smilies, more misunderstanding of evolution. A classic TW post.

Evolution by natural selection is a gradual process taking place over generations. Lions/elephants etc are threatened by the rapid changes in the environment caused by man and by hunting. The threat to their existence has nothing to do with evolution stopping.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 10:30:49 PM by Maeght »

Spud

« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2015, 08:51:10 PM »
That's true, Maeght. 100 years ago lions were so numerous in Africa that they were considered vermin. They have been hunted almost to extinction.

ippy

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2015, 09:05:52 PM »
Lord Richard of the Dawkins says the evlutionists have it right Tw______

Ippy

Owlswing

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2015, 11:58:41 PM »
That's true, Maeght. 100 years ago lions were so numerous in Africa that they were considered vermin. They have been hunted almost to extinction.

. . . by American dentists.
The Holy Bible, probably the most diabolical work of fiction ever to be visited upon mankind.

An it harm none, do what you will; an it harm some, do what you must!

Humph Warden Bennett

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2015, 08:00:25 AM »
Extinct, almost certainly.  Almost everything will be extinct.  In 50 million years the earth will be dominated by the descendants of some obscure bird or something.

The Discovery programme that I saw suggested intelligent amphibious squids.

Sassy

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2015, 09:14:36 AM »
I realise quite a few Christians believe in the creation story in the Bible to be factual. Out of interest how many on this forum believe that the earth is no more than 10,000 years old at most?

As I said God created an mature earth. He also made mature adults. At a day old Adam was a man of years.
It seems so weird how people fail to realise that the earths age physically does not represent the age by scientist.
Because the physical age was not the age it took to create it.

We know we have to work together to abolish war and terrorism to create a compassionate  world in which Justice and peace prevail. Love ;D   Einstein
 "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

floo

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2015, 09:20:28 AM »
I realise quite a few Christians believe in the creation story in the Bible to be factual. Out of interest how many on this forum believe that the earth is no more than 10,000 years old at most?

As I said God created an mature earth. He also made mature adults. At a day old Adam was a man of years.
It seems so weird how people fail to realise that the earths age physically does not represent the age by scientist.

And your evidence to substantiate that statement is? The Bible isn't evidence.

Maeght

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2015, 09:54:01 AM »

It's only weird if you have certain religious beliefs.